Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Liverpool mnf 8pm sky sports 1

• 24-08-2015 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭

vlcsnap-2015-04-02-14h53m49s249-730x411.jpg

The two longest serving PL managers come head to head in their third fixture of the new season.

Arsenal have four injury worries with Flamini being a doubt with an ankle problem, while Welbeck, Wilshire and RoSicky are definitely out.

Jordan Henderson is the only doubt for Liverpool, after being subbed against Bournemouth. He started the game with a foot injury, in which he was unable to complete. Joe Allen, Jon Flanngan and Sturridge are liverpools only other crocked players.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/33955692
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Are they playing in Fifa? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think Arsenal may do quite well here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Comfortable win for Arsenal, 2-0!

They'll enjoy playing against Liverpool's defence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sanchez to have a cracker. 3-1 Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Liverpool might just get lucky again tonight but Arsenal should win this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

4-0 to Arsenal - Bellerin, Cazorla, Walcott and Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Massive game for Liverpool after Man City won yesterday. The title race is really hotting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hopefully not a portent for Liverpool
    Service Unavailable

503 Service Unavailable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hopefully not a portent for Liverpool
    That's a very weak midfield, Harry, though it looks solid with the 5 at the back.

Coutinho, Firminho and Benteke up front, deffo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

2-2 I'm thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Easy Arsenal win I think:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Jordan Henderson is the only doubt for Liverpool, after being subbed against Bournemouth. He started the game with a foot injury, in which he was unable to complete. Joe Allen, Jon Flanngan and Sturridge are liverpools only other crocked players.

Lallana is out too.

2-0 Arsenal I think, unfortunately.

Hoping that Henderson can make it but it doesn't look like he will. Lucas has the experience and big game know-how but lacks that bit of pace & energy to deal with Arsenal's moving midfield. Can has the energy but he is a big lad so short space speed, which is needed to press Arsenal's midfield, is not the greatest. Lacks the big game experience too, in midfield also.

Hoping the front 3 can conjure up something to get me off my seat, and sneak and scalp away at to Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Charlie19 wrote: »
    vlcsnap-2015-04-02-14h53m49s249-730x411.jpg

Didn't know Jose Enrique was running the match thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Arsenal to win by 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Been impressed with Gomez at left back for Liverpool so far but he's no left foot at all he's always coming back inside to his right foot. Can see Arsenal exploiting that tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

0-2 liverpool.

Firminho and Benteke to light up the emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Been impressed with Gomez at left back for Liverpool so far but he's no left foot at all he's always coming back inside to his right foot. Can see Arsenal exploiting that tonight.

Big test for him. 18 year old playing out of position and facing one of the best attacking teams in the country.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arsenal have only scored in and won one game from five at the Emirates since they beat Liverpool in April. Have a feeling this will be a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Big test for him. 18 year old playing out of position and facing one of the best attacking teams in the country.

More than likely against Ramsey cutting inside and Bellerin on the touch line. Can see some success for us on that side of the pitch.

Players should be up for this so hopefully a win of any kind - though I think Rodgers will likely set up to frustrate after what happened last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Rodgers to set team up for a draw trying to sneak a win. Arsenal can't afford to lose this. 0-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

cson wrote: »
    More than likely against Ramsey cutting inside and Bellerin on the touch line. Can see some success for us on that side of the pitch.

Players should be up for this so hopefully a win of any kind - though I think Rodgers will likely set up to frustrate after what happened last season.

Any reason why Ox or Walcott doesn't start on the right wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Depends on Arsenal's mentality. They are the better team, and should really be winning comfortably. If Liverpool come with the Emirates blueprint (pack midfield, wait for your first chance to score, take it and win 1-0) they might have success. Are they that good defensively though?

1-1 for me. Lots of Arsenal possession, but unable to turn it in to goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

keano_afc wrote: »
    Depends on Arsenal's mentality. They are the better team, and should really be winning comfortably. If Liverpool come with the Emirates blueprint (pack midfield, wait for your first chance to score, take it and win 1-0) they might have success. Are they that good defensively though?

1-1 for me. Lots of Arsenal possession, but unable to turn it in to goals.
    Hard to tell where liverpool are defensively at the moment. Didn't give away too many chances in the two opening games but still looked like a better team would be able to punish them.
    I think both teams need to step up from their two openers for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

bluefinger wrote: »
    Rodgers to set team up for a draw trying to sneak a win. Arsenal can't afford to lose this. 0-0.

Rodgers does not know how to set up a team for a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Won't see the game but Liverpool have the better team so would expect an Invincibles win here.

Invincibles 2 (Benteke, Coutinho)

Sanchez 1 (Sanchez)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Cech to play a blinder, keep a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Should be looking to improve our goal difference here by at least +3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

2-1 Liverpool.

Don't trust them Gunners as a defensive unit atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Both teams still very much finding their way so far this season so difficult to predict how things will pan out tonight. Hopefully home advantage will be telling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Benteke could be the difference against a poor defence. Score draw for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Have to fancy arsenal, bar one game wenger has always done well v Liverpool and giroud always bags against us too. Would happily take a dour 0-0 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

greendom wrote: »
    Both teams still very much finding their way so far this season so difficult to predict how things will pan out tonight. Hopefully home advantage will be telling.

Yeah I'm finding this incredibly hard to call as both teams look so far from what they should be capable of when they get up to speed. Looks like Liverpool will have to make changes with Henderson/Lallana injured. I do think Arsenal have more chance of finding another gear and some form tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Any reason why Ox or Walcott doesn't start on the right wing?

No particular reason I've read of but who knows!

Line up predicted here: http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/team-news/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Neither side have looked particularly convincing but that's to be expected early doors, a draw suits Liverpool here more than Arsenal I think, might shape tactics. A lot of talk about Lucas coming back to give some extra protection.

Sanchez will be the difference I expect. Not sure Liverpool can shackle him. Will come down to that. Not at all convinced by Arsenal's defence this year, form seems to have deserted the CB pairing so I do expect Benteke to give them a torrid time. Liverpool will play long to him, Arsenal will faff about endlessly until some Sanchez magic decides it. Wouldn't mind to see an Ings - Benteke front 2, not sure this is the right game to start Firmino if he isn't fit but it would be nice to see him "arrive" tonight if he is good to go.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Has Ings played much in the previous two games? Not watched any of Liverpool's matches thus far, had kind of forgotten they signed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

A nervey 1-0 arsenal

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Has Ings played much in the previous two games? Not watched any of Liverpool's matches thus far, had kind of forgotten they signed him.

Hasn't played a minute yet. Just been on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not a minute so far. He will probably be used in cup games but I would like to see him up top to feed off Benteke and be replaced by Sturridge next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool winning would lay down a big statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

As has already been said, pack the midfield, press them high up get in their faces and take our chances and we could get something. Have yet to see Coutinho have a good game at the Emirates so hopefully he changes that tonight.

I would be interested to hear from our resident gunners as to how they have handled Benteke in the past? Has he given you cause for concern? We'll need to handle the threat from Arsenal's movement in and around the box and don't let them get a grip on the midfield, cut off the supply to Sanchez and co.

I'd be happy to start with Clyne and Skrtel, less so with Lovren and Gomez. I like Gomez but this game has come a bit too early for him so we'll need Moreno's greater experience but he'll need to keep reins on for large periods of the game unless Arsenal are having an absolute mare at the back. Lovren is just too shaky at the moment when people are running at him and in behind him, I have a feeling if Arsenal hit their stride they'll dazzle him so the less shakier Sakho should start.

Hopefully Jordan Henderson is fit, we'll need his energy along with Milner. If Henderson is out, which looks likely, it simply has to be Emre Can in there. Call me crazy but there is leadership qualities in that lad but he needs to be told that his role tonight first and foremost should be to shield the defence, stay composed and keep the ball rolling. Milner is a no brainer, he's reliable, he'll run all night and hopefully he doesn't let the Arsenal midfield settle into any sort of stride.

To be honest i'd put Joe Allen in there in tonight. I think he'd make life hard for the Arsenal midfield, he's always relatively comfortable on the ball and he knows Aaron Ramsey's game more than anyone else in the team.

Jordan Ibe and Philippe Coutinho are no brainers. Ibe is intelligent enough to drop back if the opposition are getting on top of us, he has a good work ethic and will always cause problems going forward with his blistering pace. Coutinho is star man at the moment so it's likely if we score he will have a hand in it. Probably wont see as much of the ball tonight as he normally enjoys so he's going to need smart, which he always is to be fair. If players around him are making space and making the right runs, he will find them it's as simple as that. He's not too partial to the odd bit of Magico either ;)

Benteke starts up front. Whatever happens tonight i've seen enough so far to say he will give Arsenal's defense a hard time if he keeps his form going. He'll be high on confidence after last week. If I were Rodgers i'd have been showing him videos of Drogba's hassling of Arsenal's defence in recent times. We probably wont get many clear cut chances so he'll need to be 100% on concentration and be ready for anything that falls his way. No doubt we'll see Firmino at some stage, still not 100% but hopefully tonight is the night he announces himself to the Premier League. If we play well there's no doubt we can score goals against this Arsenal team, another repeat of last week's game and sadly we'll be beaten at what is a very difficult place for us to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

^^^Allen is also injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Of course he would be wouldn't he? **** never liked him anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

As usual.

I like him but he's a bit of a Wilshire or Sturridge on the injury front.

Going for a score draw,more in hope than expectation.

I'd absolutely take a point right now. A draw tonight and beat West Ham next weekend at Anfield and that would be a very decent start to the campaign going into the international break.

But I do fear for tonight. I just have this three nil scoreline in my head. Some Liverpool fans think we are better defensively this season but I'm not so sure.

Ok, we haven't conceded a goal yet, but that is down to a refereeing error in the Bournemouth game. They had a few other chances in that game too.

Lovern always has a mistake in him and I can see him being ripped apart tonight.

Hopefully, they surprise me tonight. I don't care how they do it, but a draw would be a fantastic result for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Lucas Hood wrote: »

This is the main worry for Gomez really. He looks solid positionally and in the tackle though he's gotten a yellow in each game so far for holding onto players. For those people who haven't seen him play yet I think the above is a good point - have a look at how many touches he has with his left foot. Still, for a guy who just turned 18 this year and hadn't played a competitive game at let back before his Liverpool debut v Stoke, he's looked pretty damn good. Massive test against Arsenal's attackers tonight though.

I reckon Liverpool will still come away with the win. Would love to see a goal for either Benteke or Firmino, the latter of which has looked very very poor in his limited minutes this season. Hopefully he gets into the game easier by playing from the start. Team should be:

Mignolet

Clyne - Skrtel - Lovren - Gomez

Lucas

Milner - Can

Coutinho

Benteke - Firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Cant see Liverpool winning this from what I have seen so far this season. If our attack continues to function like it did in the first couple of games, then I cant see where we will get the goal from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cant see Liverpool winning this from what I have seen so far this season. If our attack continues to function like it did in the first couple of games, then I cant see where we will get the goal from

Set piece or Coutinho

rob316 wrote: »
    Liverpool winning would lay down a big statement.

"Wenger out".

I would be interested to hear from our resident gunners as to how they have handled Benteke in the past? Has he given you cause for concern? We'll need to handle the threat from Arsenal's movement in and around the box and don't let them get a grip on the midfield, cut off the supply to Sanchez and co.

Well last season Arsenal played Villa 3 times and beat them 12-0 on aggregate. :P Couple of years ago Arsenal couldn't handle him on the opening day and lost 3-1 at the Emirates, Arsenal won the return fixture 2-1 with Benteke scoring 3 goals over the 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arsenal fan I know said that Benteke was great against them a few seasons ago but Mertesacker cleaned him in the FA cup final last season. I do remember Benteke doing nothing of note in that final alright. How the feck did we lost that semi to Villa!?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement