Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Half/Full/Ultra August 2015

Options
  • 24-08-2015 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this?

I'm expecting a pretty hilly course. Going into this off the back of the Warriors in Sligo yesterday so not expecting amazing times anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Slideways wrote: »
    Anyone doing this?

I'm expecting a pretty hilly course. Going into this off the back of the Warriors in Sligo yesterday so not expecting amazing times anyway
    Few from.here doin it...its a super course and race..see u there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Anyone doing this?

I was planning on doing the half after doing the Warriors Run Saturday too. But can't get off work now. Great place to run it can be windy around it but it will be the scenery that will take your breath away. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Slideways

Looking forward to it.

What would Ye recommend for doing this week before the race.

I've done an 8k recovery run from the Warriors today. For the remainder of the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

What would Ye recommend for doing this week before the race.
    Chillax ...ur not gonna get any fitter in the next couple of days,..1 or 2 more recovery/easy runs wud do it.....(disclsimer-am no expert)

Well I'm just home after the event. Was a challenging enough course and that wind was less than idea but I finished well and my brother finished his first ever race and first HM distance just a few minutes behind me

The only real let down was the lack of facilities at the start. One gents toilet just isn't enough. A few porto loos should have been there esp considering the entry fee. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the day and I'd definitely do it again.

Marathon next year?? Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I thoroughly enjoyed that race on Saturday!

The course is tough, alright. I'll see next week how it compares with Dingle but right now I'd say that's the toughest marathon course I've ever run (except that I was running the ultra :P).

But the fact that I was STILL enjoying the views even as I was climbing yet another hill tells you how stunning the scenery was!

I have a race report as well, http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2015/08/my-physio-doesnt-know-im-here.html

It's a very small race and the level of organisation reflects that - clearly there is no budget to order half a dozen portaloos. I loved that small-race feeling and expect I will be back.

It's a very small race and the level of organisation reflects that - clearly there is no budget to order half a dozen portaloos. I loved that small-race feeling and expect I will be back.

Fair enough..

It's disappointing it doesn't get more. Hopefully it will grow in the future. It really is a lovely course with the scenic backdrop. The hills not so much :pac|

I think the big crowd puller in Achill is the half marathon at the start of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

6781 wrote: »
    I think the big crowd puller in Achill is the half marathon at the start of July.

The one in July gets a lot more people but has also been on the go for a lot longer. This was only the third year for this one. A 10k was added fairly late so I'd say this will help pull in more people for next year. Would expect it to grow.

True, hopefully it will grow as it's one of my favourite places to run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement