Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult dog, how often should he toilet?

• 24-08-2015 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I have a dog here with a leg injury. I've been told by the vet that crate rest is necessary and to keep him on lead when bringing him out to toilet.

Because he's crated he can't go to the door to let me know he wants out. Plus with his meds he is sleeping a lot anyway. I don't know how often he usually goes in a day because he's in and out and he's a clean adult dog so I've never had to take note.

He's eating and drinking as normal. Keeping in mind he's to rest as much as possible, how often Should I be bringing him out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

When Bailey was on crate rest we were told to take him out 3 times a day but ended up taking him out a few more times some days - if he got distracted and say didn't poop we'd take him in and try again later. So say first thing in the morning, lunchtime and then I'd bring him out after work and again before bed. We ended up changing his dinner time and bringing it forward a few hours so we'd have a better success rate of him pooping when I took him out in the evening lol!... and he still get's an early dinner years later lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Also when my girl was crated during recuperation after surgery I cut down slightly on her food as I figured she was less active.

For food I fed it in Kongs to keep him busy and we did lots of clicker games too. Does he have a dressing - if not count yourself lucky because keeping it clean is half the battle lol!! Bailey used to balance the kong on his bandaged leg and mess it up - we had socks to cover it lol! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No dressing thankfully. It's a muscle tear so No visible injury.

He's getting his treats in kongs but I can't click as he gets super excited. Once he's up and about I'll start hiding treats etc. he was out for 10 mins this morning and went back to his crate voluntarily and has been asleep since. :)

Could you maybe mark it with 'yes' etc? There was a program on TV yesterday where they were clicker training chimps - my two were getting very confused wondering why the TV was clicking them and kept asking me for their reward lol!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thing is that dogs can and will hold it for 12-18 hours if they have to, so it's really about making sure they're comfortable as opposed to avoiding accidents. Certainly first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and then I'd say twice more during the day minimum (dinner & lunchtime maybe?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tk123 wrote: »
    Could you maybe mark it with 'yes' etc? There was a program on TV yesterday where they were clicker training chimps - my two were getting very confused wondering why the TV was clicking them and kept asking me for their reward lol!! :p

This morning I took a cherry tomato out of the fruit bowl and said to the baby "I'm going to give this to Harley". Harley tried to roll over for it! My fecking heart. Even a sit it uncomfortable for him as his leg pokes out and he finds it hard to get back up.

If you know of any clicker games I can play with him while he's confined in the crate that'd be handy! Although it's only 5 days crate rest and he's sleeping much of the day. Won't be long until I can start doing stuff out of the crate again (I really hope!)

So 4-5 times a day should be sufficient then? I'd been doing 4 but wasn't sure.

Thanks guys!

Whispered wrote: »
    If you know of any clicker games I can play with him while he's confined in the crate that'd be handy! !

Touching a target stick/wooden spoon with their nose is a good one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

When our pup was on crate rest, we used to bring him out about 5-6 times a day, he would whine/get restless in his crate if he occasionally needed to go in between his regular toilet breaks. He was only 7 months at the time, so needed to go a bit more often than adult dogs. As for entertainment check this video, some of the tricks could be done while he's lying in the crate or you could adjust them to suit your dog's needs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfL99xcEpXc

Advertisement