Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB30 breaking my heart

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Hey. Nibbly, where did you get the Praxis adapter? I was looking at getting one myself.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

RunDMC wrote: »
    Hey. Nibbly, where did you get the Praxis adapter? I was looking at getting one myself.

D

Hey. This was the one I picked up - http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/13032/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm getting that all the time in my trek but only out of the saddle and I'm convinced now it's the fork cos if I mimic the out of the saddle side to side without pedaling (hard to do!) it sill creaks. Also, when I'm in the saddle and pushing, there's no creak.

In the past I've also traced it to the handlebars - again that leaning left to right weight transfer when out of the saddle.

Can even be your saddle itself if it happens sitting down.

Point being I suppose is that dratted noise can be coming from anywhere and can be an absolute hoor to pinpoint, but then you know that already :)

I had the very same symptoms on at least two bikes, noise occurring when out of the saddle only. What worked for me was to lightly lube (I used GT85) the front dropouts, both faces on each.

So the creak in my case was coming from movement between the mating faces of skewer, hub locknut, and dropouts, the lube eliminated the noise. That noise wrecked my head for ages, the new silence was bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Had one a while back. The bike was about 18 months/10,000km old. Sounded like a creak from the bottom bracket but seeing as every nosie is reputed to sound like its coming from the bottom bracket, I tried everything else. Regreased and tightened the saddle, seat post, chainring bolts, pedals, cranks, skewers, forks, headset, handlebars, my knees. Turns out the bottom bracket was actually knackered. Is this a first?

Once replaced to quote Doozerie above "bliss".

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Clearly its time for a new bike! ;)

• Advertisement

Apologies for the aged thread resurrection but I thought this information may be useful. I got so sick of pulling the BB30 praxis adapter/crank on my CAAD10 apart to regrease that one day I just pulled the seat-post out and sprayed 30 seconds worth of WD40 down the seat-tube. It has been far and away the most effective solution to BB30 noise. For the desperate only! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

How has the adapter worked out for you long term? I've only recently installed one... to alleviate same problem on my CAAD10

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Could be your wheels you get more lateral force out of saddle. Try a drop of wd 40 or likes where spokes cross. If they dont cross then not it. Had this issue once with my bombproof winter wheels.

How has the adapter worked out for you long term? I've only recently installed one... to alleviate same problem on my CAAD10

The Praxis adapter brought a massive improvement for my CAAD10's issues, but it still wasn't totally silent. I think there is a big breadth of severity when it comes to BB30, depending on how out of whack the manufacturing is with design tolerances. I would guess that my particular CAAD10 frame is quite a long way out of the recommended tolerances - I bet the BB30 bore is way too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Has anyone used these to convert their BB30 to take Shimano hollowtech cranks?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manufacturing-bb30-to-24mm-crank-spindle-shims/

Seem to be a very simple solution but not sure if I would be better off just getting a rotor or praxxis convertor. Benefit of these is I could just do it myself, don't have the tools for the job using the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

joey100 wrote: »
    Has anyone used these to convert their BB30 to take Shimano hollowtech cranks?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manufacturing-bb30-to-24mm-crank-spindle-shims/

Seem to be a very simple solution but not sure if I would be better off just getting a rotor or praxxis convertor. Benefit of these is I could just do it myself, don't have the tools for the job using the others.

They get very good reviews and because they're made from a malable hard plastic they don't creak or cause problems.

I used the FSA threaded sleeve when changing to HollowTech from BB30. It was fitted 2 years ago and has been 100% silent since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

They get very good reviews and because they're made from a malable hard plastic they don't creak or cause problems.

I used the FSA threaded sleeve when changing to HollowTech from BB30. It was fitted 2 years ago and has been 100% silent since.

i used these shims on a Ultegra 6700 crankset in a BB30 Orbea and they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

jntsnk wrote: »
    Borrow a set of wheels and pedals from someone to rule everything out just before you splash on something new

How many miles done and in what conditions? Is your bearing using your finger are smooth and internal ring free of any movement? Who did mount these bearings? Ive found that badly mounting (not super vertically) due to tight tight tolerances can decrease their life quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Buahaha.... That was good one necro from me xD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm using one of these,

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb30-outboard/bb30-outboard-bottom-brackets/bb30-to-outboard-bottom-bracket-for-24mm-cranks-shimano-w-angular-contact-bearings-red.html

in my Felt, it has a fully carbon Bb housing that the praxis won't fit into, apart from needing to put some grease on the seals I've had no issues or noises since I put it in at the start of this year, probably 6-7k done on it in all weathers, the nice thing is that when the time comes you can just replace the bearings and leave the housing in situ.

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bearings/bottom-bracket-sealed-bearings/enduro-24-x-37-angular-contact-2rs-sealed-bearing.html

On the plastic shims, I've seen good reports, superfeltdave used to recommend them on various Felt forums but if you were having issues with the standard BB30 bearings, they won't sort that.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Seen to many creaking BB30 BB's so when I bought a new frame with a BB30 I bought a FSA treaded adapter. Never had a problem all year.

Advertisement