Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summerslam aftermath thread *Results Inside*

• 24-08-2015 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a rundown of the current card:

Sheamus def. Randy Orton by pinfall

New Day def. Prime Time Players, Lucha Dragons, Los Matadores by pinfall for WWE Tag Team Titles

Rusev (w/ Lana) vs. Dolph Ziggler (w/ Summer Rae) went to a double countout

Neville & Stephen Amell def. Stardust & King Barrett by pinfall

Ryback def Big Show and The Miz, retains Intercontinental title

Roman Reigns & Dean Ambrose def Bray Wyatt & Luke Harper by pinfall

Seth Rollins def. John Cena by pinfall (retains WWE heavyweight title, wins US Title)

Team PCB def. Team Bella vs. Team B.A.D. by pinfall in elimination match

Kevin Owens def. Cesaro by pinfall

Undertaker def. Brock Lesnar by submission

Thoughts?

Rating 47 votes

0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    4% 2 votes
    2% 1 vote
    17% 8 votes
    46% 22 votes
    25% 12 votes
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

gimmick wrote: »
    Thoughts?

i thought it was a really good ppv i liked all the matches wasnt bored by any of the matched really.

i would have preferred a different ending with taker/brock but i can see why they did something like that to keep it open for a rematch which i think could lead to a hell in a cell match between them.

stephen amell did really good for an actor who i dont think did had much training, helps that he seems to be a fan.

Rollins/cena was just great continues both guys great years in ring work.

and the new day well they just rock. the celebration afterwards was just amazing. Theyve stumbled upon something great with the 3 of them and hopefully they dont ruin it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I gave it a 8 because the in ring work was excellent by everyone all night despite the dodgy booking. Undertaker looked phenomenal and I can live with that ending if we get another battle between them. Rollins Cena was a classic and had the right winner despite Stewart making it obvious he was screwing Cena. Hats off to Stephen Amell, you could see he worked hard to learn how to do some basics and show a lot of respect for the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I appear to be in the minority judging by feedback I've seen elsewhere but I can't give this a thumbs up as the booking of the matches really pissed me off.

I thought the show started really well. I liked Sheamus winning clean. I also popped big for New Day winning the titles as they are my favourite act right now.

Rusev/Ziggler was better than I thought but a really poor finish to the match. I don't like these kinds of finishes on PPV.

I thought Amell again did very well in his role and the match was fine.

Reigns and Ambrose had a fun match. I was waiting for a turn but I liked it the way it was.

At this point I was overall positive towards the show...and then the Stewart thing happened.

I like Jon Stewart a lot. I have been a fan of The Daily Show since the days it featured the likes of Ed Helms, Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert. I think his commentary on US affairs will be sorely missed as he has been imo one of the few gutsy outspoken voices in the US mainstream. He's not only talented but seems like a genuinely nice guy...but he has no business being involved in a match of that importance. A midcard title match? Fine. A World Title match? Absolutely not. I found this to be cringeworthy.

And it's obvious why it was done: publicity. 'Hey Vince, let's have Jon Stewart get involved and ESPN and everyone will be talking all about it!' And I'm sure they will - but it just makes everything look so fake and phony. Jon Stewart is a comedian. The point of pro wrestling is that we're supposed to believe these battles have genuine bad blood behind them. How can anyone think this, seeing a comedian decide the outcome of the contest, a good thing. A comedian!

Picture the scene: Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo are battling away in the octagon. It looks like Aldo is about to put Conor away when...

"Wait a minute, Joe! Is that...it's Tommy Tiernan! Tommy Tiernan is in the octagon. And he's got a chair! Herb Dean hasn't seen him! And he just clocked Aldo with the chair!'

It would be preposterous. And I know people are going to say, 'well, this is sports entertainment. There's a big difference, you idiot.' Yeah, I know there is - and that's the problem in a nutshell. One takes its fights seriously, the other turns them into a complete joke.

Honestly the booking of this match may have spoiled the show for me. It reminded me of The Simpsons in the crappy years when it became all about the guest celebrities. Or even, dare I say it, the David Arquette incident. And yes I know the Arquette incident was much worse but it's based on the same principle - let's involve a celeb in the main event to get media attention.

I'll probably be on my own in hating this. Maybe it's a sign I'm outgrowing WWE, I dunno. I just hate the idea that on Raw we will have John Cena cutting serious promos (hopefully serious) against the comedian Jon Stewart. I wonder had this been against any other opponent besides Cena would the fans have accepted it? Against Ambrose, for instance? I dunno. It just really bugged me. The match itself was fun but felt a bit like too much of a spotfest, though I suppose that's the blueprint of the Cena matches. Rollins was terrific.

/rant over

The women's match was fine, but again illustrated the ridiculous nature of the booking. Last night we had Sasha celebrating with the 'four horsewomen' and less than 24 hours later I'm supposed to believe that she has a genuine beef with these women. Well, I don't. Why should I? You've told me not to treat it seriously, WWE. And while some might say well they treat the two shows separately - they don't; they explicitly referenced Sasha losing her NXT Women's Title as well as Owens's match will Balor. I know we don't live in the 'rasslin' is real' days but at least TRY to take this stuff seriously.

Owens vs Cesaro was very good but the crowd were burned out. I don't blame the crowd as it was a long show. The two men worked hard and I thought the right man won - but I want Cesaro to have a few wins under his belt soon.

The main event match - at first I was really disappointed that Brock lost, but I will concede that they protected him in the finish by having Taker tap; so while I'm not happy with the finish, I didn't hate it. Still though this was another match designed to get ESPN coverage.

Overall the match was fine but I really think Taker is showing his age now. He was sucking wind pretty bad and I really hope he hangs up the tights at the upcoming Wrestlemania. It's time.

All in all, I'm finding it hard to score this show. The matches were fine for the most part, but the booking did not impress me. I think I'll give it a 7.

I think it was a thumbs in the middle show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

4/10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I gave it a 7. The in ring work was great all round, but there was one too many stupid endings imo.

I don't mind the Cena/Rollins ending too much, though I can see why it would annoy people. My main grievence was that Cena took an age to get back to his feet, so it became waaaay too obvious that Stewart was about to hit him instead. Either Rollins got up too quick or Cena got up too slow, but there was a missed que somewhere there.

With regards MNG's points, it's fair really, but I think Stewart, at least in America, isn't "just a comedian"; I read a recent survey recently that showed a crazy amount of people in USA thought he was a more credible news source than the news. He's really a beloved figure over in America, and while I understand the Tommy Tiernan point, I think it's doing him a great disservice to put him on that level. He's far bigger a person. Yeah, it was a publicity stunt, but at least its one with some background (he's had Rollins on the show a few times, and has portrayed himself as a smark a few times, so turning on Cena isn't a stretch). And it's a smart idea, publicity wise, which can be undone if he just appears on Raw tonight and eats an AA.

I'm actually hoping he might do a stint as a GM but I'm probably fooling myself there :P

Thought Amell did well, though I don't understand why he didn't cover Stardust; the ending was something you'd book to continue the feud.

Owens and Sheamus getting clean wins was awesome. Divas match was very good. Zigger/Rusev ending was obviously one to keep the feud going, though it's very close to being stale now. It's been going for months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

4/10

Calm down Bret Hart! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

one think that really annoys me is how many of these matches are just the start or at least the continuation of a feud.
    both Wrestlemania and Summerslam (billed as the WM of the summer) should be the big payoff from the culmination of a fued, possibly with a 1-1 score from previous matches.
    but instead now the feud just carries on to a B-PPV, so why should a person even bother with the big two if the results are virtually meaningless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It was a strange, strange night. I liked it, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The wrestling was good to great across the board but the horrible finishes of the main two matches dragged it down. 7/10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sorry to be the one who says compare it to takeover.

Without going into detail because of spoilers but takeover was obviously booked to satisfy people, meet logical expectations and of course provide people with what wanted to see. If you missed takeover you missed something important.

Summerslam didn't do that.

Obviously takeover shows are quarterly pay offs for what happened the past few months. It would be great if WWE used the so called big shows in the same way to provide endings to a feud or pay offs for fans invested in a feud rather than set up the next show(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I thought it was a decent ppv, certainly best since WM but the finishes of the Cena/Rollins and Taker/Lesner left a bit of a sour taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,977 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Highlights for me were The New Day, Amell and how good Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens & Cesaro really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,070 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I thought it was a decent ppv, certainly best since WM but the finishes of the Cena/Rollins and Taker/Lesner left a bit of a sour taste.

yeah same here.

If sting had come in either the cena/rollins match or the taker match it would be a memorable moment but wwe ****ed up on that one (rumour he is going to appear on raw tonight).

So i will be Brock vs Taker 3 at Survivor series or mania 32 ???(which i hope not because we need sting vs taker, brock vs rock at that event).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Amell looks like a tank on Arrow but he looked almost scrawny compared to the other guys in the ring last night. Goes to show how big WWE guys are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,070 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i think a heel turn for ambrose should of happend last night

Loughc wrote: »
    Calm down Bret Hart! :P
    It just couldn't compare to 1997 for me, when that piece of crap counted the pinfall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    Amell looks like a tank on Arrow but he looked almost scrawny compared to the other guys in the ring last night. Goes to show how big WWE guys are.

Noticed his. He has an awesome body but compared to the others, he looked normal.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    i think a heel turn for ambrose should of happend last night

I actually feel Reigns is more suited to the turn; the whole "I am Dean's only friend" would lend itself well to the betrayal, and it might freshen up his character no end....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

*defiant gesture*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How does Lesnar not get punished for blading? He did it against Cena, Reigns, HHH and Taker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Pretty much what most people have been saying, great work in the ring by the performers themselves, dodgy-as-hell booking.

Amell did well for someone without much training, he'll definitely be feeling it now though with some of the bruises he was sporting by the end. Sad to see poor Barrett taking yet another fall though.

Besides the ending did anyone else find it weird that Seth came across as a massive babyface in that match? Not just the change in attire but in his moveset and everything else. We all know he can play that role very well and I do look forward to seeing him turn back down the line but I wouldn't expect it for a good while.

Womens match as alright but very disappointing considering the talent involved and that it was 4-hour show.

Great to new New Day getting to just be themselves on camera. They always came across as really funny guys in backstage segments but dull as dishwater on the actual show.

• Advertisement

The New Day were the highlight for me last night. I was delighted that they regained the championships. As I said elsewhere, I feel they could get a lot more mileage out of their gloating. I guess the Night Of Champions will feature their rematch against the Prime Time Players. Hopefully they hang onto the belts for the foreseeable future now because they have just been wildly entertaining since they hit their stride and embraced the booing from audiences. Sheamus vs. Randy Orton was really good as well I thought, and it was nice to see Sheamus hit multiple Brogue Kicks, which he said he would beforehand. The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar was pretty good, considering Undertaker's conditioning. I was also very happy to see Becky Lynch get the win for Team PCB in her match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So i will be Brock vs Taker 3 at Survivor series or mania 32 ???(which i hope not because we need sting vs taker, brock vs rock at that event).

I am probably in the minority but i hope we never see Sting v Undertaker, i have no doubt that the build up would be good, pyro, videos, all that goes with it, but the match would be terrible.

Just watched Summerslam there, wasnt going to but the hype for Lesnar Taker got me in the end, while im disappointed in how it ended, it did possibly stretch out the feud that should lead to Takers retirement match at mania.

Liked Amell, done well considering his short build up to it, he should have pinned stardust as they were the main reason for the match, Rollins Cena was good but as soon as Stewart jumped in the ring, you knew what was happening.

overall, i'd give the ppv a 6-7 out of 10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

New Day are awesome and are tag champs again.... grand stuff, good job Summerslam

Becky gets the pin in an overall meh Divas match (what do you expect in a 9 diva tag tbh)...yay for her but meh overall
    Sheamus makes it an Irish double with a surprisingly clean win and a decent match tbh (not that I want to see it again)

Was it just me or did Rollins wrestle like a face with all his high flying spots etc, looked great though and the finish will get main stream attention but damn I'd love if they gave him a clean win against a big challenger.

The other celeb Amell did as I thought he might... very well although I was surprised how he seemed to be in ring for more of the match than Neville although I suppose it was probably the shortest match on the card.

The Ambrose/Reigns "family" split or turn will happen but imo they were wise not to have it on a show with so many other WTF booking moments like this one

Cesaro & Owens were great as expected and im happy Owens won after his last 2 PPV outings as he needs something to brag like a heel about.

and then the main event: Taker looked great and tbh the match was very good far better than their mania bout. No concussions obviously helped and yeah it was a spotfest but still I enjoyed it. The end, yeah was a bit sucky but it was simply WWEs convoluted way of guaranteeing they can have a rubber match (I'd say at Survivor Series not mania) and that Taker is def a heel.

Raw should be fun with Heyman going off on one, the New Day celebrating and the John Stewart explanation amongst other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Right I watched the first two matches live and watched the divas match on the live feed this morning and I know that Rollins won but didn't see the match. Don't know the other match results so watching it now.

A double count out finish in the ziggler and russev match ? That's hasn't happened in a while.

Jesus Stephen amell could do this gig for a living as he showed some skills.

Damn it just say the end of the Rollins and cena match. Son of a bitch,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I didn't watch the PPV but I actually like the Stewart angle, him and Rollins have good chemistry together and Rollin's appearances on the Daily Show were the only WWE thing that I was interested enough in to watch straight away the past months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did Taker raise his hand as he left, like he usually does? Don't think he did, or they just didn't show it.
    I was expecting a low blow to be used at some point since he already did it twice to Brock already.

Think the main thing I noticed about the divas match, apart from the lack of Sasha(though she more than earned a rest), was how Paige and Blue Pants seem to share the same hair stylist. :)

Some impressive work in the Owens/Cesaro match, as expected. Liked the springboard spinning uppercut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

The botch (? looked like it was anyway) at the end of the tagmatch doesnt seem to be getting much attention online. If it wasnt planned, it was some good reactions by Primo to take Epico's position so quickly to allow the finish continue. Given that JBL was the only one to mention it on commentary im assuming it wasnt supposed to happen that way, although it could be used as a Dusty finish to take the titles off New Day and give Xavier a chance to excel and preach the injustice of their win being taken away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Loughc wrote: »
    How does Lesnar not get punished for blading? He did it against Cena, Reigns, HHH and Taker?

You have seen Brock in action?:D

Wouldn't blame anyone for not daring to **** with Brock's money. :D

Rjd2 wrote: »
    You have seen Brock in action?:D

Wouldn't blame anyone for not daring to **** with Brock's money. :D

That's what graduates are for. Go tell Brock he's fined. Ah excuse me mister lesnar we're fining you for blading.

Ah Vince we're gonna need a new graduate.

Are Lesnar and Taker the hardest hitters in the WWE?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Just want to clarify something from last night.

I went on about how tired I was with Rollins' reign, and part of me wanted Cena to win because I think he's one of the best things in the company at the moment (never thought I'd say that). It's no coincidence that the best matches this year have involved him and I think he was right when he mentioned that the title doesn't make the man but the man makes the title. Seth's reign has just been so disappointing. I can't take him seriously as a champion because he looks weak on RAW but he needs a screwy finish to win all the time. It makes him look like a mug.

However, if he had beaten Cena clean last night, it would have been great for him, but we don't get it. He needs some form of interference all the time.

I know there would have been the usual shtick about Cena not putting younger guys over, but he hardly put Seth over last night, did he? If Seth had won clean, he'd have no argument, but now we're likely to get the rematch and I just can't see how Seth goes over clean.

I love Rollins. He's a great arsehole heel but he's yet to back it up on the big stage for me.

I can see why people loved the finish last night because of how unexpected it was, but I just can't take to it because we see it happen in every Rollins PPV.

Just on the argument over who should turn, I think it should be Reigns as well. He's a true babyface but I think a heel run before the eventual face turn would be massive if done right. Since Mania, Reigns has been excellent. Unfortunately, like we saw last night, the smarks still don't like him for the reason that smarks will be smarks.

• Advertisement

Anyone that thinks John Cena didn't put Seth Rollins over last night, I don't know what it's going to take from Cena to make them happy. He bumped like a champion for Seth's offence I thought, and he didn't go overboard with the usual Superman stuff that people seem to have an issue with so frequently. There were some really good near falls and Seth Rollins looked totally dominant at several points during the match. Ultimately, John Cena lost the match as well. After the match that they had, Jon Stewart hitting him with a chair didn't really matter to me. Seth Rollins IS a heel, and a really good chicken**** heel at that. Off the top of my head, I can't think of many heel champions who didn't cheat to win in most of their matches. Brock Lesnar? Triple H? Back in the 1980s, Ted DiBiase frequently relied on Virgil to help him win matches, big deal, that was who his character was. Seth Rollins will have his day where he is a white-hot babyface. John Cena made him look like a star last night, AND put him over strong, I feel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm going with 7. Overall, it was a pretty decent show, but a few of the endings marred that. Didn't like Seth needing interference again, Brock vs. Taker's end was naff, Dolph's kinda half assed flop before getting into the ring to get the double count out was just daft.

4 team tag match was good, though I'm kinda disappointed how short PTP's reign was. IC match was about what I expected, though it was priceless seeing Show try to do the senton off the second rope. Kinda reminded me of using Show to steal high-flyers finishers in the Smackdown vs. Raw games :pac: As far as celebrity matches go, the one with Amell was quite good. I was a bit relieved they at least gave the pin to Neville though.

Any idea who Cena was talking to when he got to the ring for his match and said "I'm so happy you could make it" or something along those lines?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Any idea who Cena was talking to when he got to the ring for his match and said "I'm so happy you could make it" or something along those lines?

Was it not the make a wish kid?

I thought it was, but then they pointed him out on Raw and didn't mention him when John acknowledged him on Summerslam

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I thought it was, but then they pointed him out on Raw and didn't mention him when John acknowledged him on Summerslam

He was front row for both events. So I say it's a safe bet it was him.

Advertisement