Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future-proof(ish) ~€1300 Gaming Build

Options
  • 24-08-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on a gaming build. It would be great to get it at €1200 but it can stretch to €1350 if needs be.

This will be my first build (and first PC!) so any advice would be great.

I have a list of parts here and attached, what I'm aiming for is a computer that can perform well for the next few years (Or more). I was looking at mainly Computer Universe to keep shipping costs down. I could get a few parts elsewhere for a fiver cheaper here and there, but the shipping costs would cancel them out straight away. The CPU is from Amazon.

j6sSgeQ.png

1. What is your budget?
    €1200 - €1350

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming - GTA V, MGSV, Fallout 4, pretty much any of the bigger games for the next few years.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    Nope

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Zip

5. Do you need a monitor?
    Yep

5a. If yes, what size do you need.
    21.5" and up would be great.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    I can get away with a ok-ish wireless mouse and keyboard if I have to. Would be nice to get some proper gear though.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Yes

8. How can you pay?
    PayPal, Credit Card, Bank Transfer

9. When are you purchasing?
    A week or so

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Should be ok on my own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What wattage is that PSU? That and the motherboard are the best places the drop money it this build

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

What wattage is that PSU? That and the motherboard are the best places the drop money it this build

Knew I'd forget at least one thing! It's 650W. The reason I chose that motherboard was to have enough fan headers (3 case fans, and the CPU).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Whys it so expensive? A 500w is enough anyways, going price is about €60

An for the board, I'm fairly sure three headers is standard play, you could drop to at ASRock Extreme 3 or something for €120 or so, to keep it SLI ready.

Are you only going to be coming at 1080p?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SimonFM

I would get a cheaper PSU, I found an EVGA one off scan that was 650W, fully modular, gold+ for ~60 pounds. And with the saving buy a Samsung SSD.

But if you really wanted to make it compatible in the future, I'd go for the latest i5 with DDR4. It doesn't seem to be worth it atm, but if you want to be future proof then you may as well. I have a similar build that worked out to be ~1300

I'd also buy all the parts from Scan.co.uk, You can choose the delivery date and can come within 2 days. Also there's a flat rate for delivery. I think mine came to about 10 pounds for everything

EDIT: Scan shipping

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Phone in your order to Scan and tell them you are a user member on the UK AVForums and you will get reduced shipping costs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Whys it so expensive? A 500w is enough anyways, going price is about €60

An for the board, I'm fairly sure three headers is standard play, you could drop to at ASRock Extreme 3 or something for €120 or so, to keep it SLI ready.

Are you only going to be coming at 1080p?

It's a Tier 1 PSU. How are the Corsair RM's?

Most Micro-ATX Boards I've seen have 1 CPU and 2 Case fan headers. I think I'll split one of them and run the intakes off it.

For now it's 1080p, but likely to go 1440p after year or so.
    SimonFM wrote: »
    I would get a cheaper PSU, I found an EVGA one off scan that was 650W, fully modular, gold+ for ~60 pounds. And with the saving buy a Samsung SSD.

But if you really wanted to make it compatible in the future, I'd go for the latest i5 with DDR4. It doesn't seem to be worth it atm, but if you want to be future proof then you may as well. I have a similar build that worked out to be ~1300

I'd also buy all the parts from Scan.co.uk, You can choose the delivery date and can come within 2 days. Also there's a flat rate for delivery. I think mine came to about 10 pounds for everything

EDIT: Scan shipping

I might look into Skylake CPUs. I'd need a newer motherboard for it, wouldn't I?

Scan.co.uk looks great. Prices are close enough to what I was looking at, and having English support and faster delivery can't hurt.
    slave1 wrote: »
    Phone in your order to Scan and tell them you are a user member on the UK AVForums and you will get reduced shipping costs

Excellent, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SimonFM

Yeah you would need a new Mother board, CPU and RAM.

I used http://pcpartpicker.com/ to help me find compatible parts, It's really good, but not all of the parts on Scan are on pcpartpicker. So you might have to get your hands dirty looking manually for parts

Advertisement