Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

privacy issues with cameras in alarm sensors

Options
  • 24-08-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

hi all, i searched for a similar thread so apologies if i missed something obvious.

i just moved into a house and had called phonewatch looking for a quote for a new alarm. when they mentioned the ability to take a photo of the intruder when the sensor is tripped it raised some alarm bells (pardon the pun) wrt privacy. is this a much discussed / debated topic?

it would make me uncomfortable to think that it was possible for someone to see what was going on in the house during normal day to day, even if this would be a minimal risk. does anyone know if it is only technically possible for them to view the cameras when the alarm is armed and the sensor has been tripped?

thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I wonder have installers gotten any any concern from home owners?

It's similar to the Risco and GSD systems in that they also have PIRs with cams. You could put a page in front of the PIR while you're there and remove it when you're leaving. But then the microphone will still work.

How secure these things are I don't know. Tsking a wild guess I'd imagine a lot of Phonewatchs' clients are elderly and privacy issues may not be something they consider when going with a particular system. Then again, it's the quedtion if you want a camera in your living room or not? Some do, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

the person i spoke to said it was something that people do regularly ask about but kind of glossed over it by saying that they wouldn't be watching you all the time or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

hi all, i searched for a similar thread so apologies if i missed something obvious.

i just moved into a house and had called phonewatch looking for a quote for a new alarm. when they mentioned the ability to take a photo of the intruder when the sensor is tripped it raised some alarm bells (pardon the pun) wrt privacy. is this a much discussed / debated topic?

it would make me uncomfortable to think that it was possible for someone to see what was going on in the house during normal day to day, even if this would be a minimal risk. does anyone know if it is only technically possible for them to view the cameras when the alarm is armed and the sensor has been tripped?

thanks for any advice.

Well they are cameras, they have internet access to your house, they can view the cameras.
    Indeed Risco cameras can be viewed by the home owner directly via an APP anytime.
    I would encourage you to get a proper security system, as in a proper intruder alarm system with perimeter protection that will detect an intruder before he or she actually gains access to your home instead of a situation where you get a call from some monitoring station saying they have great pictures of some intruders with their hoodies on after invading your property and robbing something.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The difference with systems like Risco, Siemens & GSD etc is the homeowner is the one who has access to view the cameras & no one else.
    With PW its the opposite , the control room can view the cameras & no one else.

Mod Edit: speculative claim removed
    Once again Phonewatch is competition to some of the posters here. It's fine to talk about how it works and by all means point out who is watching the cameras on one system compared to another, offer opinions on system operation etc

If there is an issue beyond that and the content is to be posted here you will need to include more substantial content in your post, over and above what you were told someone else saw.
    Thank you.

Advertisement