Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattery in Kildare - advice please

• 24-08-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

We're going to be away for 5-6 weeks from Oct 1st.
    I had thought to leave our cat at home, and pay someone to come and feed her every day/check on her. My daughter would come home from college every weekend during that time, so Tux would be in the house on fri/sat/sun nights. (She goes out all day long, and comes home to be fed/bed around midnight - her choice - she was a feral/found kitten) The plan was that I would put a new cat flap in the door of our annexe, with her beds in there, and that is where her food would be put every day by the person who is paid to come to the house.

NB:Being a feral/found kitten, she doesnt 'do' people - apart from me/my husband - doesnt even 'do' my daughter :confused:

Now Im worrying about her - what are the chances that another cat (neighbours or feral) getting through the new cat flap?

Because she is not a friendly cat (to other people) and the fact that she is out all day, would a cattery be really stressful to her?

I must admit, paying cattery fees will be an issue (how much are they?? say €13/day, would be over €500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gulp!) Would I be better to leave her there for entire duration, or would it be feasible for my daughter to collect her from the cattery on the friday and bring her back on the monday - would that travel, and swapping in/out be more stressful to her? (We are near Naas, so the cattery would have to be very close for my daughter to do that)

Between the cost of a cattery for that length of time, and the issue of whether another cat would get in to her "bedroom" I just dont know what to do. There is practically no traffic around our home to worry about - maybe 2-3 cars/day pass our house - we're on a very small lane/hill so they crawl slowly past, at that. There are a couple of outdoor cats in the neighbours about a mile away, and I see 1 of them going thru our property now and then.... being outdoor cats, would they chance/learn about a cat flap?

Any comments/advice/thoughts/recommendations? (p.s. the dogs coming with us - place we're going to wont take cats, but ok with dogs)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭garbeth

You could get a cat flap with a microchip that only allows your cat in. Does the cat wear a collar

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I use Canine Country Club for our cat-€10 per night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd definitely not go for weekends at home swapping ideas; cats like their routines and that would greatly upset it so it has to be one or the other type of solution. As you noted that she's not a people cat I'd be worried that a cattery may not be the best solution; to try it however I'd go for a short (weekend only) stay at the cattery you have in mind and see how she reacts to that short stay. While it's not perfect due to the short duration it will give an indication if she settles in or not (which in turn drives the final solution if she does not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Nody wrote: »
    I'd definitely not go for weekends at home swapping ideas; cats like their routines and that would greatly upset it so it has to be one or the other type of solution. As you noted that she's not a people cat I'd be worried that a cattery may not be the best solution; to try it however I'd go for a short (weekend only) stay at the cattery you have in mind and see how she reacts to that short stay. While it's not perfect due to the short duration it will give an indication if she settles in or not (which in turn drives the final solution if she does not).

This iswhat I thought - being feral and tamed to be the most loving little cat - but ONLY with myself and my husband - I really dont think she would cope being in a cattery... Its so hard to know what to do in her best interests...
    she comes home, has a snack and a snooze, then out again all day long, until indoors for bed/food. I had an emergency foster dog here recently, and had to keep Tux indoors for nearly 48 hours - in her own safe place - she nearly went ballistic being kept in... it was really tough and she was very stressed. She is also trained to use her litter tray but never ever uses it anymore - waits to go out in the morning...

Garbeth mentioned a cat flap that works to a microchip - is that a microchip in Tux or on a collar? I could get her chipped, but she freaks with a collar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

It's the chip in the cat :)

We are in the same boat, ours is an ex feral and still scarpers up the stairs under the bed to her safe space if there's anyone new in the place - even the neighbour who visits almost every day. The only difference is ours never goes beyond the garden, and even in the garden she's supervised. The neighbour originally offered to feed her and do her tray while we're away, but a few throwaway comments he's made makes us think he'll forget to feed her for a couple of days, so we are thinking of getting an in-home service. I'm almost frightened to think of the price but she's our princess so less shopping in foreign cities for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Nightingale

I highly recommend Martinstown Cattery near the Curragh if you wanted to go down that route, or at least try it out. My cats have boarded there since it opened and it is great peace of mind for me whenever I have to leave them in. The owner is lovely and shes spends a lot of time in with the cats giving them rubs etc and mine don't want to leave half the time!
    (Mine are indoor though (with a small outside run) so being locked up is no problem for them).

The owner is also a qualified veterinary nurse which is really great if your cat is on medication etc or becomes unwell (cats would be taken straight to Cottage Vet in Newbridge).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Would you get a live in house sitter from one of the house sitting websites? I do this for my lot when I go away. Not a chance my pets would stay in a cattery or kennel so I get someone in instead. It's fairly cheap for membership, costs around 60 euro a year and for that you can advertise your place as often as you want.

The amount of applicants does depend where in Ireland you are located though and how many animals you have. 1 pet goldfish in Dublin 2 is always going to have people beating down your door, 20 animals in the middle of the country not so much :D

Karenalot, thanks for that suggestion - I hadnt thought of it - last time we went on holidays, I looked for someone in house sitters type org to come, but it was an INSANELY expensive charge. Are there organisations now, that come and sit your house as in a holiday, where one doesnt have to pay the sitter?!?

Im going to a cattery to check it out on saturday - a recommendation. The owner sounds very cat-orientated. Im starting to worry about Tux now: There was huge caterwauling in our hedgerow yesterday - 2 cats - I called Tux, and saw another cat hightailing it away :eek: Tux came in unhurt thankfully. Then on monday, she was sick - had a duvet day, ate nothing only a bit of yogurt and slept :eek: Then Tuesday she had a cut on her paw - hissing and yowling while I treated it :eek: and spent the day on the armchair. Today shes in again all day snoozing. So, am now thinking that she would be safest in a cattery... will see what this place is like on saturday, and decide but I think Tux, will just have to adapt to it, for her own good/safety - Jeez cats are a total other problem :o Being a 1st time cat owner is hard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

aonb wrote: »
    Karenalot, thanks for that suggestion - I hadnt thought of it - last time we went on holidays, I looked for someone in house sitters type org to come, but it was an INSANELY expensive charge. Are there organisations now, that come and sit your house as in a holiday, where one doesnt have to pay the sitter?!?

Yes there are sites that someone will come and mind your pets in return for somewhere to stay for free. It's pretty popular in other countries just not Ireland for some reason. I'm a house sitter also and have stayed in some amazing places all over the world minding various animals.

Well, Tux is booked in to the cattery - gulp
    Lovely set up, and lovely lady, I dont want to think about how Tux will settle or cope, but at least she will be fed/warm/safe/cared for - what more can I do. Any tips/suggestions for helping her settle? I'll bring some of her cat-cocaine-treats that she adores, her favourite bed, shes not one for toys, and I thought maybe a tshirt that Ive worn (for 'home scent') - or is that not such a thing with cats? Any other ideas/recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Did you use Cliodhna in Martinstown.

We drop our two up there all the time .Cliodhna is amazing .Bloody cats never want to come home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

aonb wrote: »
    Well, Tux is booked in to the cattery - gulp
    Lovely set up, and lovely lady, I dont want to think about how Tux will settle or cope, but at least she will be fed/warm/safe/cared for - what more can I do. Any tips/suggestions for helping her settle? I'll bring some of her cat-cocaine-treats that she adores, her favourite bed, shes not one for toys, and I thought maybe a tshirt that Ive worn (for 'home scent') - or is that not such a thing with cats? Any other ideas/recommendations?
    Something you worn that smells of you (towels are great for this as well) is strongly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We have an ex feral kitten here, now just over a year, and have had too put her in cattery 4 times since Christmas. She has the advantage of having three other cats to keep her company, so that helps, but she won't let the lady in the cattery near her, in fact most days she doesn't let us near her, apart from the odd time she wants a cuddle, if you move she's gone!

But she's safe, as are the others, that's what gives me peace of mind.

There never seems to be any ill effects, she runs to her food bowl and then off to bed when she gets home.
    I bring bits of bedding they all use.

Advertisement