Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies of Limerick

• 24-08-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

Was just strolling around the city centre there at lunch time. The amount of lads absolutely out of their minds was incredible.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'm pretty sure we're not applying it in this city because it's only getting worse.

It's not right that anybody finds themselves in this situation, and for that reason alone the issue needs to be addressed fairly urgently. But also, if we're trying to reinvigorate the city centre (we are, aren't we?), then this kind of scene isn't helping. I watched as some tourists stared in horror down a laneway off Thomas Street as two lads bounced off the walls for a few minutes before staggering out onto the main street (would be interesting to read their review of their Limerick experience), two others came into the coffee shop I was in unable to speak but the girl there didn't need to be asked and gave them coffee, and another flopped across the doorway of Gleeson's in Catherine Street. It's like Hogarth's 'Gin Lane' out there, except the gin is heroin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I don't like it. It makes me feel very unsafe walking around Limerick in the quieter areas or at night.

I'm not sure what the solution is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Also, the amount of begging going on has risen considerably, I was walking past William St upto the treasury yesterday and there were 2-3 per block. Really not doing the city any favours but if I'm honest about it, I'd rather they stay in the city centre and just avoid the city then see them out where I live.

Selfish I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

It's not something that has any quick fix solution unfortunately.

It's a complicated mix of causes imo. Firstly a completely failed drugs policy in this country. Poverty comes into play. Lack of adequate upbringing in home life. Unemployment. Lack of drug treatment and drug education centres.

How do you fix those symptoms of something so deep rooted? A change in drug policy is badly needed imo. More focus on treatment and education than on criminalising drugs would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Once a junkie always a junkie no hope for them. They will just suck the life out of the city and sponge of the state.

Zero tolerance policy needed for drugs mandatory 20 year sentence without remission for dealers

kilburn wrote: »
    Once a junkie always a junkie no hope for them. They will just suck the life out of the city and sponge of the state.

Zero tolerance policy needed for drugs mandatory 20 year sentence without remission for dealers

Mod Edit: Attacking the poster not the post

• Advertisement

Also, harsher sentences have consistently shown to be ineffective at dissuading criminality.

Your entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

This country is too pc and full of do gooders. What about the poor junkies rights excuse me when you mug people with syringes, bite people and spit at people for your next fix your nothing short of an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Have you ever been to any other city? Or Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

And 20 years for any TD that tries to influence a judge's decision by writing a letter on a dealer's behalf saying that he is not a 'bad old sort' after all and his family have always voted for the said TD's party at election time.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I recently watched this Ted Talk on Addiction, and find it a very interesting view on how to help deal with addiction. Its a nice little change on perspective, especially looking at how he explains what Portugal did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY9DcIMGxMs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

It's a very sad situation, I try not to be too judging of them as it can happen to any family member or friend but I absolutely hate the young guy outside texas steakhouse vile creature.

I have known a few people including a great friend of mine who was a "junkie" off it 8 years now.

There should be more help for them but I do think methadone is not helping them one bit, cold turkey is the only way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Trying to be moderate but it's very difficult to help drug addicts.

If they don't want to help them there is nothing much anyone can do apart from introducing a law for involuntary admission to drug treatment problems.

Of course that would be seen as draconian by most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

zulutango wrote: »
    Was just strolling around the city centre there at lunch time. The amount of lads absolutely out of their minds was incredible.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'm pretty sure we're not applying it in this city because it's only getting worse.

It's not right that anybody finds themselves in this situation, and for that reason alone the issue needs to be addressed fairly urgently. But also, if we're trying to reinvigorate the city centre (we are, aren't we?), then this kind of scene isn't helping. I watched as some tourists stared in horror down a laneway off Thomas Street as two lads bounced off the walls for a few minutes before staggering out onto the main street (would be interesting to read their review of their Limerick experience), two others came into the coffee shop I was in unable to speak but the girl there didn't need to be asked and gave them coffee, and another flopped across the doorway of Gleeson's in Catherine Street. It's like Hogarth's 'Gin Lane' out there, except the gin is heroin.

To be honest i find Limerick to be no worse than other parts of Ireland for drug addicts.The only issue i have with Limerick is the amount of feral anti social youths loitering around the city centre in comparison to equivalent cities in Ireland and the UK.I came across an incident on a Friday afternoon at around 3pm a few months ago outside the Burger King on O'Connell Street across from the Arthurs Quay shopping centre.There was this gang of youth's loitering around giving verbal abuse to people passing by.

I just tried to cross the road to the shopping centre and mind my own business.Then i heard the sound of a glass bottle being fired.I turned back and the gang of youths were shouting abuse at a down and out.He shouted back at them and the gang just started squaring up to him for a minute or two.The youths then ran across O'Connell Street causing passing traffic to grind to a halt and straight down Cruises Street.Im sure this sort of thing can happen anywhere but i am a frequent visitor to Cork Dublin Limerick and Liverpool and the only time i came across an incident like this in the centre of a city in broad daylight was in Limerick.Limerick is a nice city with nice people but there is an element that are making the city centre a place that is not desirable to spend time in unless you really have to.All cities have their bad elements it's just that Limericks bad element is a lot more noticeable in comparison to other cities.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

davo2001 wrote: »
    Also, the amount of begging going on has risen considerably,

Very annoying, I gave the busker Tommy Mac (the nice guy with the beard on the accordion) a few quid the other day and one of the beggars came up from the old quarter (on the corner with Ellen street) and basically hassled him in giving him half. Tommy is such a gent, but sadly the likes of him will be forced to leave the city as the beggars take over.

In fairness I saw the Gardai moving one on the other he was saying he was sick and looking for money, there were offering to bring him to a doctor he didn't know where to go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

wingnut wrote: »
    Very annoying, I gave the busker Tommy Mac (the nice guy with the beard on the accordion) a few quid the other day and one of the beggars came up from the old quarter (on the corner with Ellen street) and basically hassled him in giving him half. Tommy is such a gent, but sadly the likes of him will be forced to leave the city as the beggars take over.

In fairness I saw the Gardai moving one on the other he was saying he was sick and looking for money, there were offering to bring him to a doctor he didn't know where to go from there.

Tommy's a lovely fella alright but for I've a 9 year old neighbour who first picked up a squeezebox less than a year ago who would wipe the floor with him,

I saw a similar incident happen to that Eastern European?? fiddler (the older one) some time back, he seemed resigned to it as if it had happened more than once before.
    I spend a lot of time in town and I recognise most of the beggars, I have a few that I help out, it's certainly unfair to tar them all with the one brush, it's a hard life and not one that they chose in most cases, addiction can be a powerful thing.

So what should we do for the poor unfortunate junkies who choose to start shooting up?

I'm getting slated for thinking of the decent people that they rob, mug, rape and savagely assault.

What about the victims of crime who speaks for them no one you never hear the pc brigade out fighting for them.

Call my opinion tripe if you want that's your perogative but just as I respect your opinion and pov have the courtesy and decency to respect mine without calling me clueless or my opinions tripe.

So what should we do for the poor unfortunate junkies who choose to start shooting up?

I'm getting slated for thinking of the decent people that they rob, mug, rape and savagely assault.

What about the victims of crime who speaks for them no one you never hear the pc brigade out fighting for them.

Call my opinion tripe if you want that's your perogative but just as I respect your opinion and pov have the courtesy and decency to respect mine without calling me clueless or my opinions tripe.

No no kilburn, the poor misfortunes probably weren't given enough love as a child so it's societies fault that they CHOOSE to shoot up! If it were up to me i'd reopen Spike Island and ship them all there an let them battle it out with themselves, drop supplies once a month to them via helicopter and let them be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but as others have pointed out you're not really coming up with any kind of workable or evidence-based solution. Can we have something a bit more considered and thoughtful than ranting about the 'pc brigade'.

Mod Edit: Removing quoted post

You're right, i wont have to worry about it, you know why? Because i choose not to be a waster, went to school, went to college and got a job and work dam hard. Nothing was handed to me, this PC BS that these people are the victims is complete horse****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You're right, i wont have to worry about it, you know why? Because i choose not to be a waster, went to school, went to college and got a job and work dam hard. Nothing was handed to me, this PC BS that these people are the victims is complete horse****e.

You were lucky, as was I. Opiate addiction is not funny, not a lifestyle choice for most of these unfortunates, and locking them up and throwing away the key is not working and does not work in other jurisdictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

That's what I'm saying, you are the victim in this, you had to pass some of them on your way up to a fine dining restaurant.
    I won't ask about your background or life experiences but I'd be surprised if it fell into the category which would be typical of many homeless people or drug addicts, I wouldn't consider myself particularly PC but I would have empathy with people in desperate situations. They aren't all robbing and threatening people and frightening the likes of yourself, some of the homeless people on the streets of Limerick are lucid intelligent people, you might realise that if you ever even made a basic attempt to engage with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I hope the weather keeps fine for all your kids.

The amount of heroin addicts in Limerick that have come form 'good' homes where they have been given every chance to succeed in life is scary. All it takes is one or two misguided decisions in your youth to start the spiral into heroin addiction. If its happening these kids then the kids born into a cycle of poverty haven't a hope.

No doubt there are some scumbug addicts, but they'd have been scumbags and a scourge on society whether they were addicts or not, the rest of them a 'misfortunates'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right,

I don't see this being a regional issue, addictions are a serious issues that anyone from any walk of life can be impacted by, if you want to discuss addictions or how to cope with them please feel free to find the relevant forum on here.

Also, I believe that most urban area in the world has an element of addiction problems and it's not unique to Limerick so I don't see the need to have a specific "Junkies of Limerick" thread so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement