Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year graduate visa

Options
  • 24-08-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everyone, just looking for some advise on the 1 year graduate visa. My graduation date is slowly creeping up on me and I need to be gone by then so I think I need to just grow a pair and book it. Anyone have any advise on doing this solo? Most of my friends are happy doing what there doing at the moment here so if I go it will be alone(tear tear)
    My degree is in communications and I would like to work in the marketing/event management sector. I was thinkingbSan Francisco but rent seems so pricey and unfortunately I won't have much money going over there! San Diego also comes to mind, I went there on my j1 and loved the lifestyle there but I'm not sure what the job market is like there? San franciscos dreary weather doesn't really appeal to me but I went there for a few days and really liked it! Anyone who has been on the visa or is have any advise for me? I'm open to other city suggestions also! Kinda freaking out at the moment haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mazzersedge

Hey!! I'm heading out to San Francisco at the end of next month on the visa! I was the same way, unsure about what place to go due to the extremely high rent in sf! But I did a bit of research and from what I'm hearing wages are a little higher! Also Berkeley and Oakland are not bad commutes to the city (according to Google) and rent is a little cheaper! From what I hear theres some good job opportunities around the sf area and outside (San Jose etc.)! The visa is also flexible on where you go too so if you feel one place is not gonna work when your over there you can move onto a different city!

Now I'm not over there yet, so all my info could be wrong and this post was a total waste of time but I just thought I'd share what I know! I'm going by myself too as my friend didn't have enough money in time and I'm totally s**ting it but if I don't try it, I know il regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I lived in Berkeley for the summer on a J1 while working in SF and I'm going back on the grad visa in November. The commute is commonly done and very manageable. I personally am willing to pay the extra to live in the city but if you aren't then commuting is definitely a viable option. Also, and this is just my opinion, I think you're far better off going by yourself than with a group. 6 months from now you'll see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

Thanks for the replies guys!

Mazzersedge good to hear I'm not the only one! Booked San Francisco for November 4th so I guess there's no going back! What kind of a job will you be looking for? Also concerned about this internship thing, I can't help but think if it has to be an internship the pay won't be great. Yea sometimes you just have to book things like this and make yourself go, I've never travelled alone but if been to California which makes me feel better about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thisisverylong

I've done the same thing, none of my friends wanted to go so I did it alone. Which company did you use as your sponsor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mazzersedge

Sorry only seeing these messages now! Yeah I'm nervous about the intern-ship thing to, but I have been doing some research and there seems to be a few paid internships out there! I'm thinking about applying for some stuff before I head out... which is soon I should probably get on it! I have a business degree so my field is pretty board which makes it easier, I would love to get something in a start-up or tech based company, what about you? I will keep you posted on how I'm getting on and throw you some tips if you like, since your heading over in November!

I went with USIT... just cause I was doing it by myself I wanted to go with the most used company, it was supper expensive and I think there a little stricter on the rules of the visa... but a few of my friends who did it said that there really helpful if your ever stuck or have any questions...in which they have been so far. The IIC Boston is meant to be the cheapest but is based in the states and seemed like a confusing process!

• Advertisement
Advertisement