Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Property Sunday 23/08/15

Options
  • 24-08-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, my uncle found a bag of lost property (new items) on the Dublin bus Shelter on Capel Street bridge outside civic at approx. 6-7pm. Included a number of 'gift items' from Guinness and 'Keen' Runner Sandals. If you're missing them please let me know as he took them home to hopefully find the owner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Should have brought them to the closest Garda station, they'd have taken it in and taken his details and if it's not claimed within a year and 1 day he'd have gotten it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

January wrote: »
    Should have brought them to the closest Garda station, they'd have taken it in and taken his details and if it's not claimed within a year and 1 day he'd have gotten it back.

Nah I'd rather them with us as we're trustworthy :rolleyes: We don't want them, of no use to us, he'll hand them into charity shop next time he's in City Centre if the owner isn't found. We tried putting a message out on adverts but they removed it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's not a question of trust, it's that the first point of call for some one looking for lost items is the nearest Garda station which is either Store St (6668000) or the Bridewell (6668200). So yes, your uncle should drop them in to the Gardaí and until he does he should at the very least inform the relevant Garda station. He should not hand them into a charity shop as they are not certainly his property to make such decisions about and that may actually be an offense.

Edit:
    From the Legal forum:
    you need to
    1: inform the Garda that you found something valuable, where and when you found it.
    2: You need to supply contact details to the Garda
    3: You need to keep the object safe for 1 year and 1 day (you don't have to give it to the Garda)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

:rolleyes: You're trustworthy yet you're going to hand it into a charity shop?

The garda take a record of the item in a book with your contact details and after 1 year and 1 day if the item is not claimed it will be returned to you. I know someone who gave money in before and got it back a year afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    Nah I'd rather them with us as we're trustworthy :rolleyes: We don't want them, of no use to us, he'll hand them into charity shop next time he's in City Centre if the owner isn't found. We tried putting a message out on adverts but they removed it :confused:

Why would you do that?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. My Uncle has already gone through the process with the Gardaí and as intended this post is to let the owner know we have the items and are happy to return them. This will reach a wider audience (We hope)

Birneybau wrote: »
    Why would you do that?

Because We're not holding onto used trainers of an unknown for a year ;)

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    Because We're not holding onto used trainers of an unknown for a year ;)

Jaysus, leave them in the Garda station.;):rolleyes:

Back to Topic:

My uncle found a bag of lost property (new items) on the Dublin bus Shelter on Capel Street bridge outside civic at approx. 6-7pm 23/8/15 . Included a number of 'gift items' from Guinness and 'Keen' Runner Sandals. If you're missing them please let me know as he took them home to hopefully find the owner.

If you or anyone you know owns the items please let me know. I won't be giving out information of the items.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

But if they are gift items from Guinness, then it's likely that they belong to a foreign visitor who wouldn't be using Boards? Don't know why you wouldn't just drop them into the Garda station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Guys, lost a 2 piece suit just picked up from dry cleaners on 46a last Friday evening at 10pm so still packaged.

If anyone can be of help, that would be great.

You can close this please as the owner was found. Many thanks.

Tell us how?

Bus Eireann helped us to find and contact the lovely owner.

Advertisement