Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenders

Options
  • 24-08-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

We received a tender from a QS on behalf of our builder.

Contained in the tender is a "detailed breakdown" of which the following is a segment with pricing removed.

Substructure
    Clear Site & carryout excavation works

Disposal of excavated material off site

Concrete Foundations (inc A393 fabric mesh)

Standard strip foundations

Rising block walls

Floor works (inc filling, radon pipework, insulation, radon barrier & concrete)

150mm hytherm floor insulation included
    Sub-Total

Superstructure
    Blockwork (inc all necessary lintels to wall plate)

Blown cavity wall insulation (New)

Roof Works

Fasia & Soffitte

White to match existing
    Internal & External Plastering

Internal Joinery

External Windows & Doors & associated works

White double glazed units

Plumbing & Heating Installation
    P.C Sum

Electrical Installation
    P.C Sum

Internal Painting

Fitting floor & wall tiles and laminated flooring

Supplied by Client
    Draught proofing

Is this detailed enough or should I be asking for more details about the breakdown and were the 60k is going. ( Obviously profit has to be allowed for but I would like more information in the materials being used and a spec sheet - I only have a a layout plan at the moment)

As I said this is a segment. The extension to the rear of the house is approximately 30 square metres.

The final price is in the region of 60k and therefore I only have a drawing and no specification sheet. I asked about a BOQ / Schedule of works but I was told they were unnecessary for this type of project.

We feel very exposed in this area as we really have very little knowledge of what is normal and how to proceed.

For a job of similar size and price what would be the flow you would follow in terms of documentation required and would you request a BOQ / Schedule of works as part of the documentation for such a project?

At the present time we have one quote, we are looking to employ someone to prepare a tender package and put the tender out etc, I am trying to determine do the clients have to have the drawings and specification sheet ready first before going to someone for this purpose.

I apologise if my writing is scattered,and lacking knowledge but I am truly in the dark about proceeding and am reluctant to make decisions because of my lack of expertise in the area.

Many thanks everyone for your input.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

johnc24 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

We received a tender from a QS on behalf of our builder.

Contained in the tender is a "detailed breakdown" of which the following is a segment with pricing removed.

Substructure

Standard strip foundations

Rising block walls

Sub-Total

Superstructure

Blown cavity wall insulation (New)

Roof Works

Fasia & Soffitte

White to match existing
    Internal & External Plastering

Internal Joinery

White double glazed units

Plumbing & Heating Installation
    P.C Sum

Electrical Installation
    P.C Sum

Internal Painting

Supplied by Client
    Draught proofing

Is this detailed enough or should I be asking for more details about the breakdown and were the 60k is going. ( Obviously profit has to be allowed for but I would like more information in the materials being used and a spec sheet - I only have a a layout plan at the moment)

As I said this is a segment. The extension to the rear of the house is approximately 30 square metres.

The final price is in the region of 60k and therefore I only have a drawing and no specification sheet. I asked about a BOQ / Schedule of works but I was told they were unnecessary for this type of project.

We feel very exposed in this area as we really have very little knowledge of what is normal and how to proceed.

For a job of similar size and price what would be the flow you would follow in terms of documentation required and would you request a BOQ / Schedule of works as part of the documentation for such a project?

At the present time we have one quote, we are looking to employ someone to prepare a tender package and put the tender out etc, I am trying to determine do the clients have to have the drawings and specification sheet ready first before going to someone for this purpose.

I apologise if my writing is scattered,and lacking knowledge but I am truly in the dark about proceeding and am reluctant to make decisions because of my lack of expertise in the area.

Many thanks everyone for your input.

It's your job to engage a QS to prepare a BOQ.
    I think the builder went above and beyond here to provide the QS and quote.

If you feel exposed, it would be wise to employ your own QS or have your supervision professional (architect/engineer) go over the quotes.

How many quotes did you get and did all the other quote provide a QS's breakdown?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Our builder? You only got on quote? Did you at least give them detailed drawings and specification? It's your job to get a BoQs. All these things cost money, why should a builder have to provide them up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

kceire wrote: »
    It's your job to engage a QS to prepare a BOQ.
    I think the builder went above and beyond here to provide the QS and quote.

If you feel exposed, it would be wise to employ your own QS or have your supervision professional (architect/engineer) go over the quotes.

How many quotes did you get and did all the other quote provide a QS's breakdown?

I am aware it is my job to engage a QS. I was advised a BOQ is not necessary for this small job. The QS suggested providing the pricing differently and a schedule of works because the job was relatively small.

Through circumstance we only have the one quote, hence we have now engaged a QS who will prepare a full tender document package and complete the tender process.

Certainly the builder did do a lot of work which I acknowledge and I ideally I would like to give him the contract but it would be foolish not to invite other tenders in the interest of getting the most competitiveness pricing.

I was simply asking in my original question if it is normal or not for clients to receive more detail in a tender.

I was simply asking in my original question if it is normal or not for clients to receive more detail in a tender.

You got above the average. Most people that don't have a full tender set of documents and a BOQ get a piece of A4 paper with some scribbles and a price at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Substructure

Standard strip foundations: so if gound is soft $$$$

Rising block walls

Sub-Total

Superstructure

Blown cavity wall insulation (New): What thickness cavity, what material

Roof Works: insulation/membrane/ roof finish

Fasia & Soffitte

White to match existing
    Internal & External Plastering: so cavity insulation only?

Internal Joinery

White double glazed units: by whom/ to what U value

Plumbing & Heating Installation: nightmare area: cheap Chinese crap or wha?
    quality of the hardware

P.C Sums are black holes

Electrical Installation: how many sockets, lights/showers/ tv / sat dish points /external lights / alarm cables etc
    P.C Sum

Internal Painting: who pick and pays, it is coloured water or deluxe dulux

Supplied by Client
    Draught proofing: black hole to the uninitiated

The highlighted areas need plenty work as the list looks detailed but there is no hard specs other than the 150 mm floor stuff so you need to nail it down.

Simple question: do you expect a plastic edging on the wall tiles if not floor to ceiling, it so then spec it, else it won't be done.
    ditto with TRV on rads, what type of rads etc etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I would send your quote out to three seperate builders and either ask them for a priced boq or have a qs draw up a boq and issue to them. i often put a caveat on tenders to say "& associated works" which deems to include any small niggly items.

I would send your quote out to three seperate builders and either ask them for a priced boq or have a qs draw up a boq and issue to them. i often put a caveat on tenders to say "& associated works" which deems to include any small niggly items.

Why would you send the quote out? You are then giving the other builders direct insight into what the other builder quoted, so all they have to do is beat that price.

The only way to get an accurate tender process is with a BOQ prepared by the home owners engaged QS.
    ask them for a priced boq

But there is no BOQ as the OP has already said they haven't got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

kceire wrote: »
    Why would you send the quote out? You are then giving the other builders direct insight into what the other builder quoted, so all they have to do is beat that price.

The only way to get an accurate tender process is with a BOQ prepared by the home owners engaged QS.

But there is no BOQ as the OP has already said they haven't got one.

applogies i meant the rfq

Advertisement