Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hackles and pulling.

• 24-08-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

We had a run in with another dog on a walk today. Well, there was a dog in a garden that started barking as soon as he saw Opie. My fella pulled very hard. I won't say lunged at him because he did throw himself forward but all four paws were kept to the ground and he did continue walking in the same direction as us. His hackles were up and he barked back (his normal bark) but there was no snarling or stripping teeth and his tail was quite loose.

We do know we have to re-socialize Opie with other dogs, but I was curious as to whether this sounds like Opie was geared to engage in a fight or rather he was over-excited. He lost interest very quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maybe the other dog just gave him a fright so he barked back? With Bailey his body would be stiff and tail out like a poker flicking (which people mistake for wagging 'oh his tail's wagging so he's happy!') and he'd run at the cat/squirrel/bunny etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I'd agree it sounds more like he got a fright, and reacted by trying to scare away the strange dog, in case that dog thinks he can get him. My collie does to every dog she sets eyes on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yeah a fright sounds like it might be about right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Great that he continued on with you and didn't let it phase him!

tk123 wrote: »
    Great that he continued on with you and didn't let it phase him!

Yeah I was rather surprised myself to be honest. We've been walking him at unsociable hours to avoid other dogs to get him used to polite lead walking and were hoping to build up to a busy evening walk rather than very late night. He did react to a few other dogs but lost interest quicker each time, so I have high hopes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Yeah I was rather surprised myself to be honest. We've been walking him at unsociable hours to avoid other dogs to get him used to polite lead walking and were hoping to build up to a busy evening walk rather than very late night. He did react to a few other dogs but lost interest quicker each time, so I have high hopes!

The losing interest is good, after 5 years my collie has improved to the extent I can almost manage to pull her away :( !!!

maggiepip wrote: »
    The losing interest is good, after 5 years my collie has improved to the extent I can almost manage to pull her away :( !!!

At almost 11 years old and dying of cancer our last collie would take two people literally strangling him for ten minutes to get him away from the sound of another dog, so I know only too well the feeling! :pac:

Advertisement