Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows '95 - 20 years old today!

• 24-08-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,826 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I remember the launch date very well :)

Linky to article in the Verge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Loved Win 95, great OS for its time....

All I remember about it though really was Encarta and Command And Conquer.... :)

God I'm old! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I remember our first Windows 95 PC, was an AST computer with 8MB RAM and a 486 processor. Also remember getting Encarta and Cinemania and thinking they were the best things ever! How times change :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Very good examples there of my you don't let senior managers/execs dance at lanches.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Listening to music on my Windows 95 machine involved grabbing a CD, shoving it in and changing it for something else when I got bored :P Had a whooping 1.5gb hard drive and I'd say about 128mb of Ram.

And the good old shut down splash screen...

217917__it-s-now-safe-to-turn-off-your-computer_p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Itzy wrote: »
    Listening to music on my Windows 95 machine involved grabbing a CD, shoving it in and changing it for something else when I got bored :P Had a whooping 1.5gb hard drive and I'd say about 128mb of Ram.

And the good old shut down splash screen...

217917__it-s-now-safe-to-turn-off-your-computer_p.jpg

128MB RAM? You were privileged, my friend. Our Win95 machine had a whopping 8MB RAM. It was a dream machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Itzy wrote: »
    I'd say about 128mb of Ram.

I'd say it was a lot less.

I had started working in a high tech multinational earlier that year and I had two very high end PCs, costing £10k each. Ten grand in old money, each, that's right!!! :eek:

(the average starting salary for a university graduate at the time was £11k)

Both had the maximum amount of 64MB of RAM (which made them so expensive).

I bought my home PC around the same time, which came with 4MB of RAM as as standard but I paid a lot extra to upgrade it to 8MB (which was recommended for W95)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Interesting read here

Linky

$400 per 4MB in late '95, so €6,400 for the memory alone in each of my work PCs (would have been a good bit more expensive in early '95)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭65535

It was better when they released the updates for USB.

'Hidden' video from Windows 95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Very good examples there of my you don't let senior managers/execs dance at lanches.

I was always amazed that Steve Ballmer never had a heart attack on stage at microsoft launches!

Advertisement