Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with old currency notes.

Options
  • 24-08-2015 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

My Dad recently set me the task of exchanging all these old notes in euros. I have absolutely no idea what to do with them as many of them are no longer in circulation (i.e. the Slovenian tolar which was replaced by the euro in 2007). I've looked them up and there's over €300 worth in total when they've been converted but I don't know how exchange my old notes for this.

The currencies are as follows:
    - Spanish Peseta
    - Barbadian Dollar
    - Croatian Kuna
    - Irish Pound
    - Slovenian Tolar
    - Sterling

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,305 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They would need to be brought to the national bank of the country that they belong to be converted to Euro. Perhaps if you placed an ad on Donedeal someone returning to Slovenia might buy them off you and split the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Auction them? There may be collectors out there who will pay more than face value, but I honestly have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gannon98

Do you think there would be any chance a bank or bureau de exchange would take them?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,305 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Gannon98 wrote: »
    Do you think there would be any chance a bank or bureau de exchange would take them?

The Irish Pound could be exhanged for Euro at the Central Bank. The Sterling should provided it's not ancient be taken in by banks for foreign exchange, if it is very old like 20 years plus they won't.

No chance on the rest unless you go to the country of issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Central Bank of Ireland may be able to sort it, they're a member of SEPA and SSM so there may be cross-border procedures in place. Probably unlikely though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Central Bank of Ireland may be able to sort it, they're a member of SEPA and SSM so there may be cross-border procedures in place. Probably unlikely though.

They won't, they will only accept old Irish notes and coins and if you need to get rid of damaged Euro notes and coins because your bank won't accept them, they are the people to go to.

http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/notescoin/exchange/Pages/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭wench

I've previously exchanged Slovenian Tolar by post to their central bank

https://www.bsi.si/en/banknotes-and-coins.asp?MapaId=67

The others may do similar, if you search a bit.

The Croatian Kuna is still in circulation, so a bureau de change or bank here should change it for you.

Advertisement