Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Melbourne neighbourhood?

Options
  • 24-08-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Aus folks!

I'll be moving to Melbourne somewhat soon for work. I'm going for a week soon and wanted to scope out some neighbourhoods while there. I've done some research but would love an on-the-ground opinion because I'll only have a day to explore and want to make the most of it!

These are the things I'm looking for:

* Close to supermarkets/bars/restaurants; bonus points for a decent farmers market in walking distance
    * Close to a large open area/park, or waterside paths
    * Similar demographic (say, 20s/30s professionals; i.e. not students!)
    * Reasonable walking distance from the CBD (say, <45 minutes)

My understanding is public transport is good there so I think decent transport links goes without saying?

These are the places I have in mind:

* Fitzroy
    * Carlton (especially student-y I hear, though?)
    * Brunswick
    * South Yarra

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I'm living in Moonee Ponds, but the more I see of Brunswick the more I like it.

Transport first of all and you have 2 trams (55/19) into the city as well as a train line.

In the last 3-4 years it has really increased into a nice area. There are loads of small pubs, cafes and restaurants around the place.

Barkleys Square shopping centre (on Sydney Road) has undergone a big renovation and has everything. There are also a number of cheaper or organic foodstores around that area.

There are farmers markets in Flemington (bus and tram away) or Moreland (a small walk away from the top of Sydney Road) plus the tram goes direct to the Vic Market.

As for parks. Royal Park is the big one close by, and you also have Princes Park opposite it. Further north in Brunswick you have Clifton Park (this is in the middle with 2 other parks around it) or near Moreland you have De Chene Reserve which is also on the river.

Your biggest problem with the area is finding somewhere nice to live. It is an old area, so some rentals will be horribly old, newer apartments will be small (but well located) and the really nice places will be expensive. However, this seems to be the case everywhere now

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

South Yarra pretty much ticks all your boxes. I used to live there and loved it but it's getting very busy and expensive now. Close to Botanic Gardens, Yarra River and MCG/AAMI park stadiums, it's walking/cycling distance to the CBD, close to Chapel St which is all bars/restaurants and close to Prahran market. Prahran, Richmond and Windsor are all surrounding suburbs and are good too.

Haven't lived in any of the northern suburbs like Carlton, Fitzroy or Brunswick but they're nice to visit. To generalise the northern suburbs are hipster/edgy whereas the South-East suburbs are more classy/poser-ish. That said most people in Melbourne are pretty sound regardless of what category they fit in to! Look up Time Out and Broadsheet to get an idea of what goes on in all of the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

catreelo11 wrote: »
    Hi Aus folks!

I'll be moving to Melbourne somewhat soon for work. I'm going for a week soon and wanted to scope out some neighbourhoods while there. I've done some research but would love an on-the-ground opinion because I'll only have a day to explore and want to make the most of it!

These are the things I'm looking for:

* Close to supermarkets/bars/restaurants; bonus points for a decent farmers market in walking distance
    * Close to a large open area/park, or waterside paths
    * Similar demographic (say, 20s/30s professionals; i.e. not students!)
    * Reasonable walking distance from the CBD (say, <45 minutes)

My understanding is public transport is good there so I think decent transport links goes without saying?

These are the places I have in mind:

* Fitzroy
    * Carlton (especially student-y I hear, though?)
    * Brunswick
    * South Yarra

Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

I think you should check out Richmond my man! Good night life, restaurants are great - you're right beside the city as well. Not too far from Chapel street either.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Richmond is closest for walking to city. There are many bars (brew pubs) & cafes, it's quite hipster & rents won't be bargain. Markets closeby would be Vic or the vietnamese markets on Victoria St & Collingwood farmers market though a pal there does go out to Camberwell for weekly fresh market. You wouldn't be far from Prahran market either though it is the most expensive market in Melbourne. Domain or along the Yarra for outdoors or east to Yarra Bend.

Port Melb will fit into your prof 20/30s but it is a very white homogenous suburb & rents Reflect this. There are a lot of apartments there now and Thomas Dux supermarket might satisfy your shopping needs, it's a Woolies upmarket gourmet offering. Lots of restaurants and a few bars. It is on the water & definitely walkable to city plus the 109 tram runs from the port terminal. Gas works farmers market is there 3rd Sat of the month.

If Fitzroy is too trendy go east to Collingwood or Abbotsford. There are many restaurants and bars in the area. It's become quite hipster and there's a lot of smart new restaurant opening all the time. Park wise you would go east to Yarra Bend or towards Yarra in the city. Smith St tram Or you have Sth Morang/Hurstbrudge train lines plus buses off Johnston.

Carlton, North Carlton, Nicholson village served by 1, 8 & 96 tram. Yes there will be students but there is some seriously expensive real estate around here so you will have a mix of retirees, young profs, families & students. Carlton will have more apartments & Nicholson close to Brunswick border. Green space will be Royal park. Markets will be Vic. There is a very fine master butcher on Rathdowne. You'll get some bars in Carlton & North, less so in Nicholson. Lots of cafes.

Brunswick has become hipster central. There is a plethora of apartments. Moreland council have lost the run of themselves in this dept tho you will still find some old share houses. Barkly Sq mall got a revamp & is very fresh these days. Gangemis is a great green grocer there. The demographic has changed hugely in the past 5yrs. So you will find any number of cafes in this neighborhood, lots of pulled pork & BBQ on menus. There are a lot of bars from big to tiny & a fine selection of brew pubs. You are close to Royal park & could potentially walk to town. Served by 19 tram in Sydney Rd & 1&8 tram on Lygon. Upfield train line runs east of Sydney Road. There's a fresh market on Sydney rd bear Albion, Mediterranean Wholesalers south of Blyth.

Coburg across Moreland is becoming Brunswick North, though it still is a lot cheaper rent wise. It's not an option to walk to city really but cycle no problem. They have their own market there also and prices are generally cheaper because there is a bigger ethnic population of older Greeks & Italians & Lebanese and they just wouldn't pay Barkly Sq prices for food.

Westgarth & Northcote along with Clifton Hill are other options just east of Carlton North though rent can be pricey. There is a hugely popular organic supermarket in Westgarth, literally queues out the door at weekends.

I've lived in St Kilda, Port Melbourne & Brunswick. Love Brunswick though traffic at weekends can be head wrecking these days.

Advertisement