Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Hi, they don't seem to have the organic wafer oats in my local lidl for the past few weeks, has anyone noticed if they have been missing for the last few weeks when in lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Moghead wrote: »
    Hi, they don't seem to have the organic wafer oats in my local lidl for the past few weeks, has anyone noticed if they have been missing for the last few weeks when in lidl?

The Aldi ones are nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sugar Snap peas at 49 cents.. .. and purple garlic.. So attractive...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Picked up a tray of escargots from the freezer section yesterday. Always makes for a fun family meal. Anyone tried them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Picked up a tray of escargots from the freezer section yesterday. Always makes for a fun family meal. Anyone tried them?

I wouldn't say they were particularly nice. Not awful tho. Fiddly. Bit of a novelty factor given all the ' ye dirty bitch ' and ' omg that's gross' comments u get!
    I wouldn't buy them again like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I wouldn't say they were particularly nice. Not awful tho. Fiddly. Bit of a novelty factor given all the ' ye dirty bitch ' and ' omg that's gross' comments u get!
    I wouldn't buy them again like.

We had them in France a few years ago, kids were not impressed. They all loved frogs legs though......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Salami Napoli. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I saw a huge billboard near Lidl East Wall Road for 'Coming Soon' - How Beverages 'to go', and hot food - pictures of mostly chicken wings and chicken pieces.
    Probably a good move due to location - near the Port / schools / East Point and other offices.
    Does any other Lidl in Ireland have this offering or will it be a first for this outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I saw a huge billboard near Lidl East Wall Road for 'Coming Soon' - How Beverages 'to go', and hot food - pictures of mostly chicken wings and chicken pieces.
    Probably a good move due to location - near the Port / schools / East Point and other offices.
    Does any other Lidl in Ireland have this offering or will it be a first for this outlet?

Gorey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Folding short saw - in the magical centre isle. 5 euro for a very useful tool.

118486.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The new Lidl store in Tallaght has hot beverages to go but I dont know if they have hot food to go.
    All the hot drinks are €1

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

whiskeyman wrote: »

MacDonalds and Starbucks next door won't be too impressed!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The red box of "tower gate" savoury crackers are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I have noticed a trend with Lidl and Aldi - premiumisation. They are stocking more and more fancy products, to get higher margins, and capture more middle class shoppers. You gotta be ruthless while shopping there, stick to a shopping list and a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Has anyone seen the hummus with basil pesto on top. Got it before a few times but haven't seen it since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The artichokes in sunflower oil they currently have as pert of their Italiamo range are seriously lovely - nice and soft and soooo tasy.

They come in jars, and I'll be stocking up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shenshen wrote: »
    The artichokes in sunflower oil they currently have as pert of their Italiamo range are seriously lovely - nice and soft and soooo tasy.

They come in jars, and I'll be stocking up tonight.

What do you do with them? I've only ever had artichoke when eating out and have no clue how to serve them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Slunk wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the hummus with basil pesto on top. Got it before a few times but haven't seen it since

That's really nice, such a pity they don't stock it anymore :( I don't really like their other ones -the cheaper ones that are 85c

Oops, thought I was in the Aldi thread! Aldi also used to do the same flavour hummous and they don't stock it anymore now :-(

Whispered wrote: »
    What do you do with them? I've only ever had artichoke when eating out and have no clue how to serve them myself.

If they're in oil like these are, I usually put them into salads. Or have them as antipasti, as you would olives. They're very nice on pizza, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Slightly off topic, but have any of you Lidl regulars bought their tenderstem broccoli recently?

I've bought it twice & had to bin it twice. It looks fine - fresh, green stems, but when you remove the packaging it has a bloody awful smell.

Not possible to bring it back as we had to chuck it in the brown bin or it would have stunk out the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yep we bought it twice and it made the fridge smell like, ahem, 'wind'. Tried to eat it the first time and the flavour was awful, like pure sulphur.
    Very hard to get tenderstem brocolli in the other supermarkets the last 6 weeks or so but when I've found it, it's been perfect.

It's Alpine week again at Lidl, with Bavarian and Austrian food. If you like a good strong cheese, get yourself some of what they simply call "Bergkäse". €1.99 for 250g, and it could easily hold it's own against a Gruyere or Appenzeller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I agree. Stocked up on Bergkäse and Appenzeller for proper Kässpätzle (home made) but they also sell fresh spätzle pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I agree. Stocked up on Bergkäse and Appenzeller for proper Kässpätzle (home made) but they also sell fresh spätzle pasta.

Couldn't find the spätzle in my local Lidl, though I was looking for them when I saw the other things. All they had this time are Schupfnudeln, and I'm not the biggest fan of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Slightly off topic, but have any of you Lidl regulars bought their tenderstem broccoli recently?

I've bought it twice & had to bin it twice. It looks fine - fresh, green stems, but when you remove the packaging it has a bloody awful smell.

Not possible to bring it back as we had to chuck it in the brown bin or it would have stunk out the house.

Bin it? I'd be taking it back for a refund. I do buy it and have had no issues so far, when its nice its delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Shenshen wrote: »
    Couldn't find the spätzle in my local Lidl, though I was looking for them when I saw the other things. All they had this time are Schupfnudeln, and I'm not the biggest fan of those.

It was the other way round in my local Lidl. Loads of Spätzle but only a few Schupfnudeln which I wanted. Strange :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

It was the other way round in my local Lidl. Loads of Spätzle but only a few Schupfnudeln which I wanted. Strange :confused:

You're not missing out, I usually love Schupfnudeln (with sauerkraut or apple sauce, yum), but the Lidl ones aren't nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Just got some Nürnberg sausages, love those little guys :D

Also some Grüner Veltliner to try!

Advertisement