Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bin it? I'd be taking it back for a refund. I do buy it and have had no issues so far, when its nice its delicious
    The smell was rank. Couldn't have it in the house once the packaging was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Talking of Alpenfest, what do you all do with the Debrecziner Smoked Sausage? It's new to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

arian wrote: »
    Talking of Alpenfest, what do you all do with the Debrecziner Smoked Sausage? It's new to me.

I haven't looked at the meats as I don't eat them any more, but back in Austria you would warm up Debreziner in hot water (can't boil, though, they'll explode if the water boils) for a few minutes, then they would be eaten dipped in mustard with a slice of sourdough bread on the side.
    They're similar to hot dogs, but are harder and with a stronger taste.

My mother might sometimes make them with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.

And you can of course always slice them into a mixed salad with a vinegar dressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The Austrian smoked cheddar is lovely, I did mention it before. All the German meats were gone though by the time I got there. Another lovely dinner is the frozen Italian range pasta with veg and red pesto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Slightly off topic, but have any of you Lidl regulars bought their tenderstem broccoli recently?

I've bought it twice & had to bin it twice. It looks fine - fresh, green stems, but when you remove the packaging it has a bloody awful smell.

Not possible to bring it back as we had to chuck it in the brown bin or it would have stunk out the house.

The normal broccoli I got there went off quicker than I'd like, but I generally find Lidl veg much better than Aldi. The last couple of times I went there the courgettes were spongy out of the packet and the mushrooms were a sweaty, unusable mess after 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Slightly off topic, but have any of you Lidl regulars bought their tenderstem broccoli recently?

I've bought it twice & had to bin it twice. It looks fine - fresh, green stems, but when you remove the packaging it has a bloody awful smell.

Not possible to bring it back as we had to chuck it in the brown bin or it would have stunk out the house.

Now I'm no broccoli expert but I grow my own (have purple sprouting this year :)) and I find that it will start to smell in the fridge unless I let it dry completely before putting it away. I'd hazard a guess that the wet year is causing the supply to be a bit wetter to begin with so I make sure to buy any extra I need from a market where they have it all packed away dry & just held together in bunches with string or elastic bands.

Broccoli also contains sulforaphane, which is one of those cancer-attacking properties (apparently!) but could also be causing that farty/sulphur smell as it's supposedly released when cut, so tenderstem would be more prone than one big head of broccoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Toulouse wrote: »
    Also some Grüner Veltliner to try!

Me too, very drinkable!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Shenshen wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the meats as I don't eat them any more, but back in Austria you would warm up Debreziner in hot water (can't boil, though, they'll explode if the water boils) for a few minutes, then they would be eaten dipped in mustard with a slice of sourdough bread on the side.
    They're similar to hot dogs, but are harder and with a stronger taste.

My mother might sometimes make them with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.

And you can of course always slice them into a mixed salad with a vinegar dressing.

Many thanks. Microwave might work for gentle warming.

Hmm, never tried it but I'd be cautious. They're very prone to bursting, even just in boiling water. I'm not sure they'd survive the microwave intact.

But to heat them through all you need to do is pour water straight from the kettle over them till covered, then leave for maybe 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You can warm sausages in the microwave. Put them between two layers of damp kitchen towels and heat them at a low setting, never full blast. This way they shouldn't burst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's Alpine week again at Lidl, with Bavarian and Austrian food. If you like a good strong cheese, get yourself some of what they simply call "Bergkäse". €1.99 for 250g, and it could easily hold it's own against a Gruyere or Appenzeller.

Got some Bergkase today, very nice flavour, by accident I didn't cut enough of the rind off - jesus it was woeful, took a lump of the cheese and it cured my flavour, make sure to cut enough of the rind off, its horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Dunno if already mentioned, but my wife reckons their Prosecco is "the best Prosecco money can buy"**

**just be aware they sell two types, it's the one with the mushroom style Cork on the top. The one with the screw top isn't great apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs B picked up a pack of the Lidl Spätzle for me yesterday. It looks totally different to the bullet-shaped Spätzli I'm used to.

This looks more like rough linguine & just to be boiled, whereas we used to boil ours then finish by frying quickly in butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Boil until they rise up to the top. Just as is as side for roast & gravy, or with any sauce really :P. Or finish by briefly sauteing in butter, or as the traditional dish, mix the hot Spätzle with grated Emmental cheese, allow the cheese to melt, top with crispy fried onions. .

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

Dunno if already mentioned, but my wife reckons their Prosecco is "the best Prosecco money can buy"**

**just be aware they sell two types, it's the one with the mushroom style Cork on the top. The one with the screw top isn't great apparently.

I deffo second what your wife says. The Prosecco is top notch and yep the screw top one sucks but the cork one fantastic... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

morgana wrote: »
    Boil until they rise up to the top.
    They're dried, not fresh, and the instructions on the packet say to bring to the boil and simmer for 11-13 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Alun wrote: »
    They're dried, not fresh, and the instructions on the packet say to bring to the boil and simmer for 11-13 minutes.

They have/had both fresh and dried Spätzle. The cooking times obviously differ for both kinds.

• Advertisement

They have/had both fresh and dried Spätzle. The cooking times obviously differ for both kinds.
    Ah, I didn't see the fresh stuff there, or they'd run out of it in the Lidl I was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do Bavarians have permanent constipation?

Do Bavarians have permanent constipation?
    Vegetables don't figure very prominently on typical Bavarian restaurant menus that's for sure. On the other hand, sauerkraut has the opposite effect on me so that makes up for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When looking at these weekly national/regional specials it quite remarkable how peoples so close to one another have such different diets - Germany and Italy being the most dramatic probably.

Mrs B picked up a pack of the Lidl Spätzle for me yesterday. It looks totally different to the bullet-shaped Spätzli I'm used to.

This looks more like rough linguine & just to be boiled, whereas we used to boil ours then finish by frying quickly in butter.

Are they the fresh or the dried ones?
    I'm not a big fan of the dries ones, personally.

Melendez wrote: »

HAS to be Bergkaese. Don't even attempt with cheddar.

Alun wrote: »
    Vegetables don't figure very prominently on typical Bavarian restaurant menus that's for sure. On the other hand, sauerkraut has the opposite effect on me so that makes up for it :D

I'm not sure I'd agree - white radishes are consumed by the barrel in summertime, sliced and salted. Red radisches, carrots, runner beans, spinach, green cabbage, and last but not least, copious amounts of horseradish were pretty much staples when I was growing up there.
    Plus lots of variations of lettuce, most of which I unfortunately still can't find in any of the shops here.
    And wild mushrooms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Alpengut dark chocolate bars with almonds (18% almonds so proper amounts! I just had a chunk with an actual full almond in it) are seriously good. Pity they are not a permanent fixture :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Lidl's black seedless grapes are delicious and might even keep you out of the sweets/chocolate aisle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I picked up a packet of the Stir Fry turkey on Friday when I was in and decided to make Turkey Fajitas, so picked up the Fajita kit while I was there. Previously, I would always have bought the Old El-Paso one, but never again. The wraps were lovely and soft & no cracking...and the flavour was great too!!

Advertisement