Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Avocados on special at 49 cents so I stocked up, nice. Into a brown bag with a banana - should be soft for the weekend.

I had one of Lidl's meat feast pizzas last night from the fridge section - truly terrible product. Dry, rubbery and lacking in flavour. Disappointing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

dee_mc wrote: »
    Yep we bought it twice and it made the fridge smell like, ahem, 'wind'. Tried to eat it the first time and the flavour was awful, like pure sulphur.
    Very hard to get tenderstem brocolli in the other supermarkets the last 6 weeks or so but when I've found it, it's been perfect.

There was a musky odour to it when fresh, but I fried it hard and brief with other veg for an asian style chicken stir fry and it was lovely. Bit different and nice. Got complimented by the missus for the find and was asked for more. And she isn't usually the most experimental with her food.

Edit: But I have no idea whether thats normal or not. Probably ate farted on broccoli there last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

morgana wrote: »
    Boil until they rise up to the top. Just as is as side for roast & gravy, or with any sauce really :P. Or finish by briefly sauteing in butter, or as the traditional dish, mix the hot Spätzle with grated Emmental cheese, allow the cheese to melt, top with crispy fried onions. .

And 2000 calories taken care of, just with the side. ;) But I agree, they're lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do they wear well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was VERY excited to see the Lime Chocolate Tartlets (I'm sure they were called something else before! Bites, maybe?) back in stock today. They were with the other Deluxe specials.

They're gorgeous!!! I'm furiously trying to resist eating the full box here now.

Bought three packs of them to stock up, and may go back for more in case they disappear again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Eating the mini double choc muffins at 1.39 a real treat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The 2% fat greek yogurt for Greek week is fab - just wish they did it all the time :(
    I'd say the 10% fat one is even nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I picked up a couple of bottles of hot sauce at the weekend for 99c each. I haven't tried the Jalape?o sauce yet, but the other one - "Bring the Pain" - is just savage! Handle with care! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I picked up a couple of bottles of hot sauce at the weekend for 99c each. I haven't tried the Jalape?o sauce yet, but the other one - "Bring the Pain" - is just savage! Handle with care! :)

Where did you find them? I couldnt find them in mine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Where did you find them? I couldnt find them in mine

....... wrote:

In mine they were on the stand facing the freezers where the end of line specials normally go.

I got Bring the Pain too. Absolutely laced my eggs with it at the weekend as I have an asbestos tongue and thought it'd be "dumbed down" for the masses.

It has *quite* the kick.

In the Balbriggan Lidl they are in the aisle farthest from the entrance near the ice pop freezer on a shelf above a load of random stuff. If that translates into how your local Lidl is laid out - you're sorted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I saw 99c cooked fast food burgers in heated shelves beside the bakery today! All wrapped up like a McDs burger.
    Really wanted to try one but didn't.
    McDs store just opposite, so odd to compete with them on such a product?
    Anyone try one? I wonder how long they rest on the shelf for?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The Deluxe range meringue nests are lovely, just ate half the packet in a massive bowl of Eton Mess :o
    /fatty

The Deluxe biscuits with stem ginger are lush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The Deluxe biscuits with stem ginger are lush!

I had them before I think it was around Christmas and they really are delicious. It's hard to just have one.

Pine nuts are back! They've been gone for about two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Pine nuts are back! They've been gone for about two years.

How much are they?

Not sure if it's still on the shelves but the Italian lemonade is fab, could down a bottle in one sitting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Not sure if it's still on the shelves but the Italian lemonade is fab, could down a bottle in one sitting

Awesome with a bottle of their Wild Burrow Gin , of the highly acclaimed Irish small batch Rabbit Island Gin , Family.

Also super value at €24 far far nicer then other low price point gins like Bombay and Gordons

Do you work for Rabbit Island Gin by any chance? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Do you work for Rabbit Island Gin by any chance? :D

No but if they've a job going i'm there hahahahaha :P

How much are they?

€1.19 for 40g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The frozen pizzas are awful. Not so much the toppings but the base is cardboard. Granted its a recommendations thread, so I'd recommend that you don't buy them.

Their mini magnum type things are smashing. And great value.

The coconut ice-cream in the shell is fairly nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

While we are doing a bit of whingebagging...
    the Clancy's salted peanuts smell absolutely disgusting. Really, really bad. Honestly, its like opening like a bag of farts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

heldel00 wrote: »
    Honestly, its like opening like a bag of farts!

God love the packaging company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I found the pizzas in Lidl are better than the Aldi ones. Of course you can't beat Dunnes or Tesco for the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

I found the pizzas in Lidl are better than the Aldi ones. Of course you can't beat Dunnes or Tesco for the real deal.

There is no real deal when it comes to prepacked pizza

Advertisement