Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

There is no real deal when it comes to prepacked pizza

I don't ever order pizza anywhere or get takeaway pizza so I just make do with some frozen ones the odd time. It's just my preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Awesome with a bottle of their Wild Burrow Gin , of the highly acclaimed Irish small batch Rabbit Island Gin , Family.

Also super value at €24 far far nicer then other low price point gins like Bombay and Gordons

Wild Burrow is Rabbit island gin rebranded.
    It seems they never checked to see if the Trade Mark for Rabbit Island was free. It wasn't. Oops.

They've also blatantly ripped off the look of Gunpowder gin with their squat blue bottle and cream label.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Is the pepper sauce gone from Lidl? Used to be in the fridge section across from the meat fridges beside the salmon and that, haven't seen it in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The chocolate cream filled wafer rolls from the Polish range are gorgeous, can't wait to try one with a black coffee!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

dee_mc wrote: »
    The chocolate cream filled wafer rolls from the Polish range are gorgeous, can't wait to try one with a black coffee!

Haven't tried those but I'm not allowed buy the vanilla ones any more, they're too damn delicious :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The roast veggies were nice alright, tried them a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I won't say what store this happened in just on the very unlilkely chance that this poor old gent is a boards member, but I was in Lidl at 8am this morning to get 1/2 price dishwasher tablets.
    Grabbed the basket and was walking toward the correct aisle when a little old man said "excuse me".
    So I turned around and (I'm genuinely not lying here, this actually happened this morning), the old man says to me "How do you get it up?"
    So I kind of froze to be honest.
    My brain was rapidly trying to digest what he just asked and I was thinking I've either just met the most perverted crazy basstid ever here OR I'm the muppet and I'm missing something.
    So after about 40 seconds of staring blankly back at him, I reached the conclusion that I must have mis-heard him.
    So I eventually said "Sorry?"
    And he replied "How do you get it up?"
    So now I can feel myself starting to go a bit red. And I rarely blush but it's now dawning on me that I've been asked twice by an old man in a supermarket how do I get it up and I don't know WTF to say or do.
    So I blankly stare back at him for what feels like forever.
    And then he puts me out of my misery by saying "the basket".
    And it finally dawned on me. He wanted to know how to pull out the elongated handle on the plastic basket so that he could wheel it around without having to lift it (which I wasn't doing anyway btw).

​So I showed him. And went about my business. Safe in the knowledge that I have a very warped mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

I won't say what store this happened in just on the very unlilkely chance that this poor old gent is a boards member, but I was in Lidl at 8am this morning to get 1/2 price dishwasher tablets.
    Grabbed the basket and was walking toward the correct aisle when a little old man said "excuse me".
    So I turned around and (I'm genuinely not lying here, this actually happened this morning), the old man says to me "How do you get it up?"
    So I kind of froze to be honest.
    My brain was rapidly trying to digest what he just asked and I was thinking I've either just met the most perverted crazy basstid ever here OR I'm the muppet and I'm missing something.
    So after about 40 seconds of staring blankly back at him, I reached the conclusion that I must have mis-heard him.
    So I eventually said "Sorry?"
    And he replied "How do you get it up?"
    So now I can feel myself starting to go a bit red. And I rarely blush but it's now dawning on me that I've been asked twice by an old man in a supermarket how do I get it up and I don't know WTF to say or do.
    So I blankly stare back at him for what feels like forever.
    And then he puts me out of my misery by saying "the basket".
    And it finally dawned on me. He wanted to know how to pull out the elongated handle on the plastic basket so that he could wheel it around without having to lift it (which I wasn't doing anyway btw).

​So I showed him. And went about my business. Safe in the knowledge that I have a very warped mind.

Cool story bro.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was only messing with you. I know how the handles work. ;)

kfrp wrote: »
    Cool story bro.....

Thanks "bro".

Guessing that means you dont believe me or thought it wasnt funny. But I was being genuine. Thought it funny myself (afterwards) but fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Thanks "bro".

Guessing that means you dont believe me or thought it wasnt funny. But I was being genuine. Thought it funny myself (afterwards) but fair enough.

The usual a$$hole answer these days for everything is "cool story bro". I thought it was funny.

heldel00 wrote: »
    The usual a$$hole answer these days for everything is "cool story bro". I thought it was funny.

cheers mate :)

Yeah i don't know what kfrp's problem is. Was only a harmless thing that happened this morning and when I told herself she was laughing so thought I'd share it.

Oh well can't win em all :)

Looking forward to seeing you at the till next week where I shall ask you suggestively in my best Kenneth Williams voice - "How do you stick it in?"

Eventually I shall let you know that I am confused about how to insert my Visa card into the POS device. ;)

I have to say - I shall always smile now when I use a basket in Lidl. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Is the pepper sauce gone? Haven't seen it in a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tatiana BA

I find the W5 dishwasher tabs brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

heldel00 wrote: »

Well actually... it peaked about 6 years ago.

2e30d728b3c9d5d378c383056ff89553.png

Not sure what the current asshole answer is.

Something like this...? :D

"Hi [username],

You have been banned from [forum name] for [time period] for [ban reason].

Regards,

Forum Moderator"

* tHB bans self * :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

The huge - almost industrial sized - roll of kitchen paper is the business. Lasts for weeks and weeks and weeks
    I am also addicted to the 70% dark chocolate with the caramel bits. My god, dipped in a cup of tea is pure heaven.
    Orange and Barley cordial is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭what the hell!

What are the cleaning products like guys? Have to do a big clean but am I better off getting the brand names?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Theres a growing trend in Lidl and Aldi known "premiumisation"
    You notice the arrival of premium types of products, deluxe sounding names and packaging.
    Suddenly you paying supervalu prices while shopping in a discount food store.
    Does not affect me - I am the person that goes in and buys what is on my list, hitting the 39cent offers first.
    I go shopping with my middle finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

....... wrote: »

I know! I try and stick it into a corner int he kitchen and keep it there, but if you need to take it out to clean up a spillage etc. it is rather unwieldy! BUT the soakage power is the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I go shopping with my middle finger.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

What are the cleaning products like guys? Have to do a big clean but am I better off getting the brand names?

I can't think of any Lidl W5 brand cleaning products that aren't the equivalent of the brands.

I expect there'll be some correctives in a moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

The huge - almost industrial sized - roll of kitchen paper is the business. Lasts for weeks and weeks and weeks
    ....... wrote: »
    I know! I try and stick it into a corner int he kitchen and keep it there, but if you need to take it out to clean up a spillage etc. it is rather unwieldy! BUT the soakage power is the business!

One of us uses those rolls for (art) painting. Seems the secret is to pull out the cardboard centre and take the sheets from the middle, leaving the outside wrapping intact. It's a bit of a tug, but the cardboard "unspirals" if you persevere.

Sorry if this is what everyone does anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A random google search found this old thread about coconut milk no longer being in lidl

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057535215

it is back in lidl, not sure how long, I noticed the last month or so, it is relatively high % coconut and only 99cent it is "82% coconut". Recently in a reasonably priced Asian shop they had coconut milk specifically advertised as "rich" 80+% stuff and it was over 1.50euro while other lower % tins were 99c or so. Suree brand. They had other lower % stuff of the same brand.

Amoy is on offer in tesco, 1.50 for 400ml but only 55% coconut extract. 172kcal per 100ml
    17.3g fat per 100ml
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251978322

blue dragon is also on offer, 1.33 for 400ml, 56% and 155kcal per 100ml
    15g fat per 100ml
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252486194 that blue dragon drops to 99c ("half price") in tesco every few months but I do not consider it great value.

This shows how they are not just watered down versions of each other -if they were the 56% should have more calories than the 55%. The lower % one is higher in oil so higher in calories, so you cannot compare just on % coconut (taste is obviously a whole other ballgame when comparing).

tesco own brand is just 51% and 151kcal per 100ml
    15g fat per 100ml ,but 99c
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=289660927

so if stuck with only tesco I might buy the own brand. You can open the tin and pour off and discard or drink the watery stuff.

But my lidl "freshona" 99c is 400ml and "82% coconut", 21g fat per 100ml and 210kcal per 100ml.

TL:DR lidl coconut milk is cheap and less "watered down" than other brands so good value IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Tried the Traditional Tea Brack - it's really gorgeous!!
    Moist, tasty and loads of fruit.

Only 1 slice left - and I'm the only one eating it......
    Ah well!

Advertisement