Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Honey roasted peanuts are gorgeous. The Solmar spanish range is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jrop wrote: »
    Honey roasted peanuts are gorgeous. The Solmar spanish range is great too.

The Sol Mar spicy crisps are fab. They actually have a reasonable chilli kick which is very unusual for chilli flavoured snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The Sol Mar spicy crisps are fab. They actually have a reasonable chilli kick which is very unusual for chilli flavoured snacks.

Are these always in stock or just sporadically? Don't recall ever seeing them, had a gander yesterday to try them but no sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Are these always in stock or just sporadically? Don't recall ever seeing them, had a gander yesterday to try them but no sign.

Iberian special only, I'm afraid.
    Still some knocking around a big Lidl earlier this week, none in my local one for a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Bought the Sangria. Mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

The large jars of italiamo Passata with basil are lovely. €1.29

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

The Coconut Ice Cream bars aka Bounty Ice Cream Bars are lovely. A steal at 49c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Guys, what's a nice red wine in Lidl? I live closer to Aldi so tend to go there more, but my favourite Shiraz has disappeared from there recently, so I'm wondering if there's something nice in Lidl? Rioja is a particular favourite, but I wouldn't say no to a nice merlot or malbec either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lads, Lidl do jambons. They. Do. Jambons.

In the freezer section. Not as nice as Centra's, but I'm just happy to have jambons whenever I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Snacktastic crisps are great. Anyone know who makes them? Super fresh and very little "bits" unlike tayto and walkers multi packs

Edited name

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Edit: The Lidl ones are Snacktastic, the Aldi ones are Snackrite

I'd say the lidl ones are Walkers.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Snackrite crisps are great. Anyone know who makes them? Super fresh and very little "bits" unlike tayto and walkers multi packs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Snackrite crisps are great. Anyone know who makes them? Super fresh and very little "bits" unlike tayto and walkers multi packs

According to the internet they are made by the same people who make Tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I prefer the lidl wine to aldi's as I found Aldi left my lips red!
    It's a while since I've bought wine in lidl but the rioja was very very nice.
    I'm not a Shiraz fan at all so can't comment on it.
    My sister loves the montepulianno(sp).
    I bought 6 x bottles of the cab sav for a dinner and everyone loved it.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Bought the Sangria. Mank.

That's a shame. I love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

ellejay wrote: »
    I prefer the lidl wine to aldi's as I found Aldi left my lips red!

That's the only reason I buy mine in Aldi. Lips like a Goddess I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Has anyone tried the Sondey Chocolate Coated Butter Biscuits? They are really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Edit: The Lidl ones are Snacktastic, the Aldi ones are Snackrite

I'd say the lidl ones are Walkers.
    According to the internet they are made by the same people who make Tayto.

Sorry for confusion, as it was the Lidl thread i did indeed mean snacktastic, seems as though they are made by Walkers with Aldi's Snackrite brand being made by Tayto

The snacktastic are awesome

Jrop wrote: »
    That's a shame. I love it

There will be more left for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

....... wrote: »
    Thanks for that, never looked for them in Lidl.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks for that, never looked for them in Lidl.

The other one is cottage pie. I tried the curry one and it's not bad actually for a quick meal at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sorry for confusion, as it was the Lidl thread i did indeed mean snacktastic, seems as though they are made by Walkers with Aldi's Snackrite brand being made by Tayto

The snacktastic are awesome
    Pretty sure Largo foods make both lidl and aldi crisps, they make tayto, king, hunky dorys and some others.

I prefer lidl over aldi, the lidl seem more like king, and aldi more like tayto. The giant mulitpacks are great value, and you can get a meaty crisp selection.

Walkers are distinctly pale, I like the browner king ones, sort of transparent. Tayto are a bit browner than walkers but not as much as king.

There was a tv program recently showing them making crisps. It was in walkers and they had these really brown ones I thought looked great, they were showing them as "bad" saying they were high in sugar which resulted in the browning. It said they carefully select potato varieties and test sugar content to ensure they are the pale ones they are used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The owners of an upmarket snack company in Westmeath might be annoyed to see their name linked with Lidl. They are Snacktastic, but the Lidl brand is Snaktastic, only one C.

http://www.snacktastic.ie/#prettyPhoto

Lidl UK stores also sell Snaktastic crisps, so they are probably made for them by more than one supplier.

https://www.lidlcommunity.co.uk/t5/Food-Drink/XXL-Week-Snaktastic-Crisps/td-p/32248

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

In the middle-eastern range that's on special this week they have a 500g tub of oriental-style tabbouleh for (I think, 1.99) that is just deeelicious - if anyone here is a fan of the taboule oriental that they have in most french supermarkets, this is exactly, and I mean 100%, identical to it.

FXs9QBv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

They've got the oriental stuff back?

*grabs keys and runs to car*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Freshona baby beetroot in sweet vinegar is absolutely gorgeous - really tender, sweet and delicious; I have to stop myself eating half the jar in one go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Its American week next week, I saw in their brochure that they have Duff beer, anyone try that before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fin12 wrote: »
    Its American week next week, I saw in their brochure that they have Duff beer, anyone try that before?

I've had it before. My personal opinion would be save your money. It's rank! :(

Advertisement