Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've had it before. My personal would be save your money. It's rank! :(
    It just looked like a gimmick, and 1.50 is not that cheap as their own brand beers are fairly good and cheaper. It doesn't even look like the simpsons beer so not even a good gimmick.

848046_1.jpg
    there is another company making stuff which looks like hte simpsons. (it is below, the lidl one is the pic above)

simpsons-duff-beer-bottles-bf101b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Ah okay. The one I has was that one in the bottle and wasn't impressed. I assumed this was what going to be in Lidl too, but it looks different again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Love the new 25g snack packs of Alesto nuts & seeds etc. for 49cent but as usual the blue ones (my favourites) go super quick and you are left with loads of the others to get through before they get more in stock :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Mexican crisps are lovely, the Mexican style chili, come in a tub like Pringles and they are like mini Pringles and also in a large sharing packet. There's another flavour aswell but I can't remember the name.

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried the Inismara Salmon Darnes (just the ordinary ones, not the organic ones)? I have tried them several times now and been very disappointed - I find them bland and almost mushy, rather than the lovely firm and flaky ones I buy in other places like the Keohanes ones for example.

Maybe I just got unlucky with some bad batches/packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Has anyone tried the Inismara Salmon Darnes (just the ordinary ones, not the organic ones)? I have tried them several times now and been very disappointed - I find them bland and almost mushy, rather than the lovely firm and flaky ones I buy in other places like the Keohanes ones for example.

Maybe I just got unlucky with some bad batches/packs.

While I really like LIDL, I stay well clear of any of their fresh fish these days. The ones we tried ranged from bland with an unpleasant texture to inedible (hake that tasted of the plastic it was packaged in). The same goes for fresh meat TBH, apart from whole chickens or chicken thighs/drumsticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Steaks are alright, got a nice Sirloin for €3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I had one of the salmon darnes yesterday & I had no complaints. I had the mackerel recently too and again I had no complaints. I also had a trout which I did find a bit bland.

I buy all my meat from the local butcher as I prefer the taste and quality, but unfortunately, there is no local fishmonger in my area or I'd be buying my fish there.

I actually buy a good bit of meat there and find it good (chops, fillet steak etc. but not so gone on their free range chicken fillets) that's why I was surprised the salmon wasn't great. The other fish (cod etc.) never looks that appealing either, but normally salmon at least has a strongish flavour but this was very watery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Their fish is fairly poor overall. Fish is relatively cheap anyhow so I'd always go for the fishmonger. Even if it winds up being a euro or two dearer, it's miles better. And not much price difference so its a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My fishmonger is not what I'd call cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

RasTa wrote: »

Theres that. And the only dedicated fishmonger in my postcode closes at 5pm weekdays. So makes it difficult picking something up on the way home from work.

So ... Lidl recommendations wanted.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

RasTa wrote: »

Find another fishmonger? :)

Sorry that sounds bad but seriously most fish mongers are cheap. They tend to have offers of 5 sea-bass for 9 euro etc if you go on a Tuesday/wednesday.
    Never on a Friday coz that's their busiest day and they wont have offers.

Compare per kg and then try both and see what the difference is like in taste.

Not being funny but even if Lidl save you a euro you're getting an inferior product. Less fresh and less tasty.

Thats just my opinion. I'm not a fishmonger. I do my shopping in Lidl mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Theres that. And the only dedicated fishmonger in my postcode closes at 5pm weekdays. So makes it difficult picking something up on the way home from work.

So ... Lidl recommendations wanted.

This! I bet they go home for their dinner on the table on the dot at 6pm and proceed to moan to their other halves how business is not what it used to be.

The nearest butcher to us closes at 5pm, the next one along closes at 7:30pm and there's queues out the door......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

As part of their spanish range Lidl have tetilla cheese and it's absolutely lovely - it's soft, mild and very rich. I'm normally more a fan of blue cheese but this really is very nice.

( if you're feeling a wee bit childish, the name and shape are a bit of a giggle :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

The Low Gi Multigrain rolls are delish! Always crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I loved their Italiano Ariabara crinkle crisps they had back on July. Addictive though. Just as well they only come in once in a while.

A while ago I got a big tub of the vanilla-flavoured skyr they had and I would definitely NOT recommend it - really strong, unpleasant taste of artificial sweetener, and it's not something that I am particularly sensitive to either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

B0jangles wrote: »
    A while ago I got a big tub of the vanilla-flavoured skyr they had and I would definitely NOT recommend it - really strong, unpleasant taste of artificial sweetener, and it's not something that I am particularly sensitive to either.

+100% I was so hopeful for this because the Aldi Pork Greek Style Yoghurt wasn't for me either :(

Yeah, I'd so much rather they would just leave it plain, then I could either have it that way or stir in whatever flavours I feel like having that day. Failing that, a fruit flavour would be better than something as soft and mild as vanilla which needs too much sweetening to combat the sharpness of the base flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

unpleasant taste of artificial sweetener, and it's not something that I am particularly sensitive to either.
    I hate this overloading with sweeteners, trying to mimic the "full sugar" versions, I would prefer if they just left it bitter. I remember being pleased to hear bulmers light was coming out, but really I thought it was going to be a dry version of bulmers, instead it has horrible sweetener added and as it is alcohol they do not have to even declare what they use.

Sucralose is my favourite sweetener, I think it is more expensive so harder to find. M&S had it in their diet cola. Tesco used to have a premium diet cola that had it to.

If you know you hate some products check and see what they are using, as you may just be adverse to that particular sweetener, though many will use a mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Totally agree on the vanilla skyr, such a wasted opportunity. It's actually sickeningly and unpleasantly sweet without satisfying any sugar cravings (if that makes any sense).
    Yeah, I'd so much rather they would just leave it plain, then I could either have it that way or stir in whatever flavours I feel like having that day. Failing that, a fruit flavour would be better than something as soft and mild as vanilla which needs too much sweetening to combat the sharpness of the base flavour.

The skyrs with the fruity flavours aren't any better btw. They taste horrid as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

In the UK the Skyr comes in a natural flavour...wish they'd bring that one ever here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I thought the Skyr was quite nice, though I too would have preferred a natural flavour. Though it's moot cos I decided to stop eating strained yogurts recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

B0jangles wrote:
    ( if you're feeling a wee bit childish, the name and shape are a bit of a giggle )

Last time they had it in one of the staff was stacking the shelf and I was like "When did yis start stocking breast implants?"

I love glenisk vanilla yogurt , no fear of them stocking that one. Just the natural glenisk yogurt:(

Anyone notice there's no ice in stock anymore or mi wadi? I emailed them but they have no idea if/when they will be back in :(

• Advertisement

Anyone notice there's no ice in stock anymore or mi wadi? I emailed them but they have no idea if/when they will be back in :(

Advertisement