Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Pine Nuts 40g packs have been available most of the times I have been looking for them in recent months, they are normally in a mixed box with seeds etc near the eggs. Got some last week. Alesto branded in a green and clear pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Dial Hard wrote: »
    They were gone for years, then reappeared a few weeks back and I did a little dance of joy. Gone again, though. Price point and all, so I'm guessing it's not just that they were out of stock.

You can get them in Ikea, if that's any use to you.

A bit far but it just so happens my sister is heading there tomorrow, thanks!

Got some of the blueberry Milbona Skyr today, hoping it's as nice as the strawberry and raspberry ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Bought the Chocolate Chip and honey comb bangers for my tea tonight. The clerk thought it was a mistake when he scanned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bought the Chocolate Chip and honey comb bangers for my tea tonight. The clerk thought it was a mistake when he scanned them.

They had a whole discussion of it on PJ & Jim's radio show this morning on Classic Hits 4FM. PJ thought it would be the next frontier in sweet-savoury combos, Jim was taking the traditional line that this is a travesty.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

73Cat wrote: »
    A bit far but it just so happens my sister is heading there tomorrow, thanks!

Got some of the blueberry Milbona Skyr today, hoping it's as nice as the strawberry and raspberry ones.

Why is it so difficult to find PLAIN, unflavoured/unsweetened SKYR? SuperValu had some in for a few weeks, but then gave up. What's wrong with adding your own, healthier sweeteners! Lovely with a teaspoon of Maple Syrup or Honey, rather than whatever the manufacturer chucks in. I've returned to plain old Liberte ... just a grumble/rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I tried the Trout paté from the new range. It's nice enough but not really a paté, more like some trout mashed up with lots of mayo, it's quite sloppy. Tastes lovely though with a squirt of lemon juice, just a bit too mayonaise-y to be a paté and for €2.49 I'd have liked more trout in it. Or even more cream cheese to firm it up a bit. Too much mayo!!

Has anyone tried those crazy choc chip sausages?? I was tempted but then I remembered the time I couldn't help myself from trying that vile Tayto chocolate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Might have been mentioned before, but the Fallons teabags, especially the Gold Blend, are fantastic. Best teabags around for me.

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Might have been mentioned before, but the Fallons teabags, especially the Gold Blend, are fantastic. Best teabags around for me.

I was wondering about the tea... would you say it's like any of the big brands? Barrys or Lyons? I used to be a Barrys Green label fan but have moved over to Lyons Gold Blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

and?! what did you think?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah, I really want to know what the sweetie-stuffed sausages are like as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

sudzs wrote:
    I was wondering about the tea... would you say it's like any of the big brands? Barrys or Lyons? I used to be a Barrys Green label fan but have moved over to Lyons Gold Blend.

I was an avowed Lyon's Gold Blend drinker but converted to the Fallon's Reserve Blend years ago. They make a top notch cuppa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

73Cat wrote: »
    The tubs of crispy fried onions are on the missing list in my Lidl. They used to only be there on American week but then they became permanent and were over near the tubs of gravy etc. Lovely on a hot dog or burger. Oh well :(

I don't know if this is any use to you, but asian supermarkets usually have big bags of fried onions for very good prices:

3ipXsrO.jpg

This is from my local shop, but the same brands seem to show up in most stores :)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

sudzs wrote: »

Nicer than any of the Barrys or Lyons blends, to my taste anyway. I like a good strong cup of tea, that tastes like tea instead of water :)

snowgal wrote: »
    and?! what did you think?:D

Put them in the oven with my Aldi Chilli Bockwurst with the intention of having them for dessert with a cup of tea.
    They were not what I expected, a slight sweet taste but no more than if you had a sweet chilli flavoured sausage or caramelised red onion, got no trace of honeycomb and couldn't really detect chocolate.
    They were fine but there are much better sausages out there for the same price or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tried the Gearagh sausages old style traditional and very good, I think €2.49 for 12 sausages, worth the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Delighted and surprised to see the best black pudding in Ireland in the new Lidl Irish section. Kelly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RasTa wrote: »
    Delighted and surprised to see the best black pudding in Ireland in the new Lidl Irish section. Kelly's.

Is it popular?
    It doesn't seem to be selling in my local Lidl.(I think the seaweed put people off)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I thought the best black pudding in Ireland is Clonakilty.

fin12 wrote: »

Clonakilty wouldn't make my list. Athea, Rosscarbery, McCarthys, Aldi Specially selected, Kelly's would be my top 5.

Is it popular?
    It doesn't seem to be selling in my local Lidl.(I think the seaweed put people off)

Very

You thought wrong, it's not even the best pudding from Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Kelly's black pudding is very nice, alright.

In the same Irish food range there is a really lovely sheep's milk natural yogurt. Silly expensive, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Very

You thought wrong, it's not even the best pudding from Cork.

Oh right calm down, obviously for some people Clonakilty is their favourite.

Clonakilty wouldn't make my list. Athea, Rosscarbery, McCarthys, Aldi Specially selected, Kelly's would be my top 5.

It's Rudds for me with Clonakilty coming a close second.

Must give that Kelly's a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Annascaul for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Lidl have irish steak specials from 25 September
    Not that cheap though.

T-bone 400g €8.99
    Cowboy 400g €6.99
    Picanha 200g €3.99

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They have 1kg tubs of jellies at the moment for €1.99 - handy for kids birthday parties or for Halloween if you stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Heroditas wrote: »
    They have 1kg tubs of jellies at the moment for €1.99 - handy for kids birthday parties or for Halloween if you stock up!

Not so handy if you eat them all before hallowe'en and then you've to buy more.... or I mean if the kids eat them....

That's expensive for pichana. €20 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Lisha wrote: »
    Not so handy if you eat them all before hallowe'en and then you've to buy more.... or I mean if the kids eat them....

I know! I usually end up hiding things like that and then forgetting all about them before finding them a year later :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I'm very tempted to get the stand mixer that they've got from Thursday. Has anyone any experience with stand mixers from Lidl before?

Advertisement