Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

vicwatson wrote: »
    And about time, they used only have it as part of the McKennedy American range every now and then, great on a burger, its valley spire brand

I have an awful feeling it is still part of the US special as it says "while stocks last" on the label even though it is Valley spire :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

73Cat wrote: »
    The tubs of crispy fried onions are on the missing list in my Lidl. They used to only be there on American week but then they became permanent and were over near the tubs of gravy etc. Lovely on a hot dog or burger. Oh well :(

Picked a tub up before the weekend.

Not the ones that once were permanent (Kania) but the american version.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yeah I saw onions in the american section in mine, near the freezers. If you want fried onions try the Asian supermarkets, you can get much bigger tubs cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Family Gal

I agree , not greasy an lovely when slightly grilled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Anyone see their freshona tomato and basil sauce anymore? I used to get similar from the Italiano range but it never came back in. Now the freshona range is gone and it's just crates of freshona plum tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think those Freshona plum tomatoes are nicer than they used to be (or is it a new line?) - I make tomato pasta sauce from them regularly and yesterday's batch is waaay nicer than usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Why buy fried onions? Why not just fry onions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

longshanks wrote: »

Because they're not easy to get crispy without burning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you could say the same about potato crisps. Do you know the things people are talking about?

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    I think those Freshona plum tomatoes are nicer than they used to be (or is it a new line?) - I make tomato pasta sauce from them regularly and yesterday's batch is waaay nicer than usual!

These must be new I think because they seem to have replaced the product I was talking about ( freshona tomato and basil , tomato and mixed herbs, and tomato and garlic in tins). The plum tomato tims are now in their space. I used to use them as a quick pizza sauce. Will have to make my own now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I think the fried onions you can buy are deep fried to get them crispy. I would only deep fry once in a blue moon as it's so messy and requires so much oil. The shop bought crispy onions are more of a garnish item (say on a hot dog) so are tasty and convenient, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

I think the fried onions you can buy are deep fried to get them crispy. I would only deep fry once in a blue moon as it's so messy and requires so much oil. The shop bought crispy onions are more of a garnish item (say on a hot dog) so are tasty and convenient, too. :)

You should try them sprinkled onto a toasted cheese sambo, oh sweet lord its damn tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    These must be new I think because they seem to have replaced the product I was talking about ( freshona tomato and basil , tomato and mixed herbs, and tomato and garlic in tins). The plum tomato tims are now in their space. I used to use them as a quick pizza sauce. Will have to make my own now.

Plenty of Freshona with basil,mixed herbs and garlic tins in Sligo today.

Also the American fried onions.

prodsc wrote: »
    Postgrad10 wrote: »

Plenty of Freshona with basil,mixed herbs and garlic tins in Sligo today.

Also the American fried onions.

They must be coming back in so. Thanks so much !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're a very common thing in the Netherlands as a garnish for Indonesian food. As far as I know the onion pieces are tossed in flour before deep frying them which makes them so crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I used to make them before and it takes soooo long and is a lot of work because you first need a quite accurate sugar-salt mixture that pulls the water out and absorbs the sugar at the same time, then coating in flour and then you fry them on low heat for I think it's like 20 minutes.
    Would rarely bother so the bought ones are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

The big bars of white chocolate with hazelnut bits and crispies... I had to be wrestled away from a bar last night to stop me eating the whole thing! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

sudzs wrote: »
    The big bars of white chocolate with hazelnut bits and crispies... I had to be wrestled away from a bar last night to stop me eating the whole thing! :o

They are nice alright. Very moreish.

Italiano aribiata crisps are in stock. So addictive !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I bought the Rustico Swiss cheese from this picture a few weeks ago when it was part of one of their weekly specials.
    It's fantastic, very crumbly, nutty and salty, a bit like a blend of vintage cheddar and parmesan.

c71eea0c893d8ab4e74a94775707b663a0c5d56b.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the picture size!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pro tip: Lidl's Italian giant penne is rubbish (IMHO)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They have a load of wooden toys on sale again from Thursday. Our kids absolutely love them so we'll be picking up a few more sets like the pizza one and the coffee one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Their mascarpone and tomato sauce is good. The texture seems a bit odd coming out of the jar but I added a little starchy cooking water and it loosened nicely.

I got the Italiano tomato and basil pasta bake. For such a small jar, the whole house reeked of garlic after baking it. Far too overpowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lidle Deluxe Drinking Chocolate

It's up there at 4.99 but it's gorgeous. The tin contains a foil sachet with mini chocolates (tiny) and even comes with a mini whisk! Perhaps only there for XMas but I'll be stocking up anyway it's so good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Has anybody seen the Favorina Chocolate Domino Cubes in store somewhere? Don't get to Lidl that often because it's the wrong side of town, but have been checking regularly since early October. Haven't had any luck yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Beef Bourginon pies are absolutely delicious.
    There's two individual pies in the box (white and black box with the word Deluxe on the front) and they're about €1.29 I think.

Really nice tender pieces of beef, a gorgeous rich gravy sauce, little pieces of carrots and mushrooms all under a light flaky pastry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fussyonion wrote: »
    The Beef Bourginon pies are absolutely delicious.
    There's two individual pies in the box (white and black box with the word Deluxe on the front) and they're about €1.29 I think.

Really nice tender pieces of beef, a gorgeous rich gravy sauce, little pieces of carrots and mushrooms all under a light flaky pastry.
    I used to love them, but the last few times I had them they were about 75% pastry and as stodgy as hell. That's a while ago, admittedly - maybe they've improved again in the meantime.

Advertisement