Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I used to love them, but the last few times I had them they were about 75% pastry and as stodgy as hell. That's a while ago, admittedly - maybe they've improved again in the meantime.

Oh really?
    We bought them last week for the first time and we were very impressed. Loads of meat and sauce and the pastry was light and flaky.

But I know what you mean; foods from Lidl and Aldi are never consistent.
    It's the same with the cream crackers from Aldi (I know, wrong thread but just saying!); they were always the same as Jacob's but they disappeared from shelves for about a month and when they came back they were rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fussyonion wrote: »
    Oh really?
    We bought them last week for the first time and we were very impressed. Loads of meat and sauce and the pastry was light and flaky.

But I know what you mean; foods from Lidl and Aldi are never consistent.
    It's the same with the cream crackers from Aldi (I know, wrong thread but just saying!); they were always the same as Jacob's but they disappeared from shelves for about a month and when they came back they were rotten.
    They sound delicious again!

I'm a total demon for stodge and pastry in general - so for me to be put off by the stodginess means they must have been really, really bad!

May have to give them a whirl again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Really happy to see this, 15 tills. Hopefully Aldi follows

RasTa wrote: »
    Where's that???

At long last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

RasTa wrote: »

They've had them in the Ballyfermot one for a while now. They are sooo handy. Think Moore Street got upgraded recently too but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yup, that was the hellhole store that was once moore st. Worst part of being in there last night was the empty shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

The deluxe crisps sea salt and black pepper are tasty and priced at €1-50. Haven't tried the other flavours.

Although they seem to be the culprit for keeping me awake all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Has anyone bought the big wooden coffee packs which seem to be at the tills in a few lidls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

In the Christmas range they have some lovely spiced biscuits - 99c and they come in a mostly white cardboard box. They are very thin and crisp and have toasted almonds on the back, and they come in a really nice range of shapes so they are just really Christmassy and cheerful :)

m6mqmSL.jpg

This is the closest I can find to what they look like - the biscuits themselves are right, but I think that might be an old version of the packaging - it's mostly white now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Have been getting the fresh pesto from Lidl every week since trying it about a month ago, it's really good and has a good bit of cheese in it, melts nicely on pasta.

Also tried one of the slightly fancier jars of mincemeat for mince pies, the rum and raisin one. Will be going back to the cheaper 800g jar, I find any of the fancier ones taste a lot more strongly of alcohol. I do it every year and end up back with the massive jar again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Apparently Ikea is available online for delivery now. Don't know what the charges are but worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Has anyone tried the mince pie ice cream? Saw it advertised in their brochure. I love mince pies so was thinking to try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

fin12 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the mince pie ice cream? Saw it advertised in their brochure. I love mince pies so was thinking to try this.

I got one somewhere else a few years ago and it was nice enough. It's like a Alcoholey ice cream with bits of crumbled mince pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

squadro wrote: »
    The deluxe crisps sea salt and black pepper are tasty and priced at €1-50. Haven't tried the other flavours.

Although they seem to be the culprit for keeping me awake all night.

More addictive than crystal meth.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Brandy butter mince pies... kinda pricey (I think it was a fiver for a pack of six) but a welcome and delicious treat after a horrible day today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'll find them lurking in that section which is a right hodge-podge of random foodstuffs and non- consumables/branded named - Amaretti Italian Biscuits which comes in "lumps". The packaging is blue and white. Very tasty esp with some Stilton cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I see they also have a gingerbread ice cream, has anyone tried this? I tried one from Aldi a few years ago and didn't like it, but I'm usually a fan of gingerbread so I'm still intrigued...

I haven't tried it but if you Google lidl mince pie ice-cream review someone has a review on it :) they liked it and gave it an 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Does anyone know if Lidl sells the Dominos this year? They are little chocolate covered cubes and were part of their Christmas sweets range. Unfortunately I can't find them in Gorey, but I'll be up in Dublin this weekend. I'm desperate to get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

LirW wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Lidl sells the Dominos this year? They are little chocolate covered cubes and were part of their Christmas sweets range. Unfortunately I can't find them in Gorey, but I'll be up in Dublin this weekend. I'm desperate to get them!

Haven't seen them in my local LIDL this year either, I think another user was also looking for them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Space Dog wrote: »
    Haven't seen them in my local LIDL this year either, I think another user was also looking for them...

That was me, they didn't have them in Galway either. Very disappointing, but probably better for my waistline :(

These?

TQfYqOK.jpg

My first though was that I had seen them this year, but on reflection I'm not at all sure it was actually this Christmas - maybe give customer service a ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I noticed my local LIDL has wedges of Stilton cheese for 4.99, also in jars for 4.49 but half the amount. I used to regularly buy it before in wedges half the size, but I hadn't seen it in a couple of years. I hope it stays around!

B0jangles wrote: »
    These?

TQfYqOK.jpg

My first though was that I had seen them this year, but on reflection I'm not at all sure it was actually this Christmas - maybe give customer service a ring?

Yes, exactly these. The ones with the dark chocolate are savage. I've had a look in two different Lidls in different towns but I couldn't find them. I was soooo looking forward to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Yes, exactly these. The ones with the dark chocolate are savage. I've had a look in two different Lidls in different towns but I couldn't find them. I was soooo looking forward to get them.[/QUOTE

Are they like truffles?

No, they have a small sponge layer in it (I think in the original recipes it's gingerbread), on that there is a layer of jelly and the top layer is marzipan, all of it covered in chocolate.

B0jangles wrote: »
    In the Christmas range they have some lovely spiced biscuits - 99c and they come in a mostly white cardboard box. They are very thin and crisp and have toasted almonds on the back, and they come in a really nice range of shapes so they are just really Christmassy and cheerful :)

m6mqmSL.jpg

This is the closest I can find to what they look like - the biscuits themselves are right, but I think that might be an old version of the packaging - it's mostly white now.

These are absolutely GORGEOUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Managed to grab the last two packs of beef pies in the luxury section last week. Since then, nothing......do they restock or when they're gone they're gone? Asked two staff members at the checkout, they had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

More of an anti-recommendation
    LIDL have 2013 Amarone della Valpolicella for €19.99
    Meh!
    they have wine for 6.99 thats just as good
    wouldn't buy it again

• Advertisement

Yes, exactly these. The ones with the dark chocolate are savage. I've had a look in two different Lidls in different towns but I couldn't find them. I was soooo looking forward to get them.

Grand, I'll keep an eye out for them next time I'm in there - I remember them from last year, they are gorgeous :D

Advertisement