Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

**** em I'll grow an old school beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thargor wrote: »

Im giving the old Gilette Safety Razors a go, bought a Gillette Fatboy on Ebay, the pack of blades worked out at about 10 cents each.

Thargor does it take longer to shave with these safety razors in comparison to the likes of Mach with 3 blades? Like do you need more strokes to do the same job?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It hasn't arrived yet, FedEx are giving it a tour of the Southern USA for some reason but I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on it and the consensus seems to be that it takes a bit of practice but once you have the technique you'll shave at the same speed as a Mach 3 or whatever for a better shave. It is possible to slice your face with them though. Have a look on YouTube for safety razors, it's a big industry since the hipsters brought them back.

You can ignore all the stuff about lathering up soap and applying it with a badger brush and hot towel etc unless you want to get into that side of things, most people just use foam out of the can same as modern razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

their onion humus, very tasty and I havnt seen it in Tesco .

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

silverharp wrote: »
    their onion humus, very tasty and I havnt seen it in Tesco .

It's also less calorific than the 'reduced fat' houmous. And much more tasty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thargor does it take longer to shave with these safety razors in comparison to the likes of Mach with 3 blades? Like do you need more strokes to do the same job?

there is a "facial hair" forum with lots of info about blades etc

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

there is a thing called a razorpit that cleans disposable blades and is meant to give a lot more usages to them.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/razorpit-blade-sharpener.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There are ladies running shoes in at the moment. They seem quite good quality, they didn’t have my size unfortunately so I’m going to try around another few Lidls. Just wondering has anyone purchased a pair of these and are they good quality? I will be walking a half marathon later in the year and need a new pair of runners but not expensive ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Ya I’m not a competitive walker or anything so that’s why I don’t want to buy anything expensive. I don’t do marathons that often either. They did look quite sturdy when I was looking at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

miamee wrote: »

I tend to avoid low fat anything as I just assume they compensate with more sugar, but good to know, its looks healthy enough in small quantities.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

....... wrote: »

Hi, ya I got a pair as well yesterday after. The 3rd Lidl I went to I got the size and color I wanted. They are really comfortable and actually I think they are the nicest runners I’ve bought. Ya I’m really impressed with them as well. I got the black with reflective strips on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Quick, does anyone know if I get Halloumi in Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

LirW wrote: »
    Quick, does anyone know if I get Halloumi in Lidl?

Not at the moment, I don't think. They sometimes have it now when they've got Greek specials, but I don't think they have it as regular stock any more.

Aldi do, though, if you can get to one?

It's just on the other side of Lidl, I really feel like having something with it tonight. Thanks, I'll definitely run in and grab some :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Those Gouda cheese rolls from the bakery are spectacular.

Our Lidl has a huge clearout sale at the moment and they are giving a lot of stuff away for peanuts. Anyway, since they still have a lot of the Italian stuff in stock they do good 2 for X deals and himself grabbed 2 packs of Peperino Piccante, they are the small chili shaped potato snacks coated in chili. They are absolutely lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The African merlot that's on half price offer for the weekend isn't a bad wine at all. It's €3.50 normally €7.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/super-savers.htm?articleId=7865

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Of the own-brand cottage cheeses available in tesco, aldi and lidl, lidl's is hands down the nicest. Tesco has larger pieces of curd if that's what you prefer, but lidl's is richer and creamier than all the others, even the low-fat version.

Mmmm, cottage cheeeeeese...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

miamee wrote: »

Just bought some last week based on ye're recommendations...divine!

There's a new 100g bar of fin carré dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts for 85c which is very nice - I'm not normally a fan of very dark chocolate; I find it too dense and hard, but with hazelnuts the texture is much nicer and the taste of the toasted nuts is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

B0jangles wrote: »
    There's a new 100g bar of fin carré dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts for 85c which is very nice - I'm not normally a fan of very dark chocolate; I find it too dense and hard, but with hazelnuts the texture is much nicer and the taste of the toasted nuts is lovely.

Must have a look at that. How much sugar is in it? I prefer dark chocolate, but NOT if sugar is the first item on the ingredients list! Trying to keep my teeth and waistline happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

iora_rua wrote: »
    Must have a look at that. How much sugar is in it? I prefer dark chocolate, but NOT if sugar is the first item on the ingredients list! Trying to keep my teeth and waistline happy :)

I made the mistake of buying this on Saturday It's now completely gone :o:o:o

It is only 54% dark chocolate which is nearly milk as far as I am concerned (I was hoping for at least 70%) but it is 27% hazelnuts which is fab, so the sugar is about 30% which is the same as a 70% because of the very high percentage of nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

B0jangles wrote: »
    There's a new 100g bar of fin carrark chocolate with whole hazelnuts for 85c which is very nice - I'm not normally a fan of very dark chocolate; I find it too dense and hard, but with hazelnuts the texture is much nicer and the taste of the toasted nuts is lovely.

I used to get the 200g hazelnut bar, think it is about 1.19, I think it has changed though and tastes like cheaper chocolate now, and I think they reduced the hazelnuts I think 20% -still far more than in a cadburys wholenut which I think is only 13%

This one below is about 1.69 200g and I think 27% nuts. The chocolate is almost like dark chocolate, which they call "rich"

large?v=1.0&px=999

iora_rua wrote: »

Here you go - full ingredients and nutritional info :)

acgLBWM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yes that one has approx 42% cocoa solids and 14% milk solids iirc, so not far off the 54% cocoa solids dark one (which has no milk solids, so the sugar % is similar between both bars)

I really wish they would do a 70% with 20+% nuts in it (although maybe my waistline is not in agreement on this one!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,670 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

LIDL are supposed to have some wine offers running all week.
    6 for 4 on bottles of either the Chilean Merlot, or French Pays d'Oc Merlot.
    Think they are usually priced at €6 each.

Are either worth a punt? Don't want to be stuck with 6 dud bottles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement