Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

The Corn Flakes in Lidl are way nicer than the ones from Aldi and also pretty close to real thing... Far less sugar than Aldi's too IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

my lidl has stopped stocking coffee pods - anyone else's store running low on coffee pods?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

My Lidl has stopped with the freshona tomato sauces in a tin , they came in tomato and basil, onion and garlic, and the slightly spicier tomato and arabata. Hoping it's just my local that's sold out, it's three weeks now. Anyone see any in theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I picked up the pack of dry fajita mix today. It was delicious. Not too spicy so the kids enjoyed it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Lidl do a new light hot chocolate by Bellarom (40 cals so a highlights/options dupe). Not bad and only €2 for 250g so much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

dball wrote: »
    my lidl has stopped stocking coffee pods - anyone else's store running low on coffee pods?

Mine has had none for weeks - but I saw the old range yesterday with the same names/design, but in far smaller packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Dolce Gusto/Lidl variation pods are now been stocked and v good!
    3.99 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 30,663 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd stocked up on some of the recent LIDL wine deals which meant I was picking up bottles for under 4 euro.
    I found the South African Cabernet-syrah red a bit too heavy and powerful at 14.5%.
    I found the French Pays d'Oc Merlot nice, fruity but a little on the thin side.

But the odyssey06 home blend of Cabernet-Syrah-Merlot I think is a definite improvement on both :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'd stocked up on some of the recent LIDL wine deals which meant I was picking up bottles for under 4 euro.
    I found the South African Cabernet-syrah red a bit too heavy and powerful at 14.5%.
    I found the French Pays d'Oc Merlot nice, fruity but a little on the thin side.

But the odyssey06 home blend of Cabernet-Syrah-Merlot I think is a definite improvement on both :)

I have never been lucky with the wines I've bought in Lidl, for some reason, and I've picked up different varieties; but they were never nice.
    Aldi has some really nice ones though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Bored2018

Does anybody know if Lidl has their own brand of liga kids biscuits?? Have been looking for something similar in shops but didn't see any

• Registered Users Posts: 30,663 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have never been lucky with the wines I've bought in Lidl, for some reason, and I've picked up different varieties; but they were never nice.
    Aldi has some really nice ones though.

I think the aldi model is better with a wider regular range and small specials selection... there are some lovely wines in the Lidl specials but by the time you figure out which ones are hit and which are miss, they are gone.

The regular 6.50 chianti docg is nice but needs decanting. The portuguese duoro red which is next weekend's half price wine is good.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I see Lidl have the Sweet German Mustard in stock at the moment.
    My favourite, so I'll have to stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Remember that prize-winning brisket pie that we were all raving about a while back?

Treated myself to one yesterday - only it wasn't really a treat as it turned out....

It was almost inedibly salty (and I LOVE salt), the meaty mixture didn't seem to be properly mixed so there were parts of just gravy, and parts with dry meat. And it was just not very nice.

Sorry to see standards have slipped that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Remember that prize-winning brisket pie that we were all raving about a while back?

Treated myself to one yesterday - only it wasn't really a treat as it turned out....

It was almost inedibly salty (and I LOVE salt), the meaty mixture didn't seem to be properly mixed so there were parts of just gravy, and parts with dry meat. And it was just not very nice.

Sorry to see standards have slipped that much.

I remember getting one when they first came out and thinking it was the business. Got it again a few weeks ago and like you, found it incredibly salty.

I can't see them keeping it on the shelves for much longer which is a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I hope you've told Lidl about the brisket pie and not just the people of boards.
    They might not know that the suppliers have changed the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I remember getting one when they first came out and thinking it was the business. Got it again a few weeks ago and like you, found it incredibly salty.

I can't see them keeping it on the shelves for much longer which is a real shame.

Is this a frozen deluxe range pie or is it in the chilled cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I hope you've told Lidl about the brisket pie and not just the people of boards.
    They might not know that the suppliers have changed the recipe.

Of course
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Is this a frozen deluxe range pie or is it in the chilled cabinet?

Chilled cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Hi there
    Has anyone tried the new choc/vanilla celebration cakes. They are 5.99. Just wondering they nice or dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Tried their new sourdough cob from the bakery last night. It's lovely, but it's not sourdough. Their country loaf is more sourdough-y than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think the aldi model is better with a wider regular range and small specials selection... there are some lovely wines in the Lidl specials but by the time you figure out which ones are hit and which are miss, they are gone.

The regular 6.50 chianti docg is nice but needs decanting. The portuguese duoro red which is next weekend's half price wine is good.

It is very good and they normally hide it with the antifreeze, anyhow just bought 12 bottles of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Mexican style chili crisps like mini Pringles are really nice. €1.29 a tube.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I bought the frozen veg mix for Borscht (€1 I think). Really handy and makes nice soup. It suggests adding a stock cube and souring agent. I used hot sauce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Tried their new sourdough cob from the bakery last night. It's lovely, but it's not sourdough. Their country loaf is more sourdough-y than this.

Sourdough is never sourdough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tesco used to have this giant Sourdough Ciabatta in their bakery, about the only thing that place did right, of course they had to get rid of it, haven't found anything to replace it since, it was the nicest sandwich bread you could buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I bought the frozen veg mix for Borscht (€1 I think). Really handy and makes nice soup. It suggests adding a stock cube and souring agent. I used hot sauce.

i bought the 3 types they had, fab idea. will try have one today, i havnt read the full instructions yet, what do they mean by a souring agent?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

silverharp wrote: »
    i bought the 3 types they had, fab idea. will try have one today, i havnt read the full instructions yet, what do they mean by a souring agent?

I suppose lemon juice or vinegar. I would add a bit of lemon juice to a Borscht.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i just had the Borscht for lunch, doent get much easier and being just veg there arent any sneaky sugars added.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I suppose lemon juice or vinegar. I would add a bit of lemon juice to a Borscht.

Buy fresh beetroot, make your own, much nicer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Buy fresh beetroot, make your own, much nicer!

That's what I always do, I was just answering the question re souring agent :)

Advertisement