Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

That's what I always do, I was just answering the question re souring agent :)

its not an ingredient I normally add to soups, seems to be a German/European thing. I added some apple cider in the end.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Anyone know what yogurt cultures are in the "Milbona Natural Yogurt" at Lidl? The container says "contains Bio Live" cultures, but the ingredients list contains 1 ingredient: Milk.

It certainly tastes like yogurt. The cat didn't seem to care for it as much as she likes some other brands, though. Other brands do list what cultures are used. Couldn't find anything on Google that mentioned the cultures contained...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Igotadose wrote: »
    Anyone know what yogurt cultures are in the "Milbona Natural Yogurt" at Lidl? The container says "contains Bio Live" cultures, but the ingredients list contains 1 ingredient: Milk.

It certainly tastes like yogurt. The cat didn't seem to care for it as much as she likes some other brands, though. Other brands do list what cultures are used. Couldn't find anything on Google that mentioned the cultures contained...

Can't help with that I'm afraid but if you check the producer code on the back it will tell you the establishment it is produced at, and then you can look to see if they make other branded yogurts and check those ingredients as I imagine they would use the same culture across most/all of their yogurts e.g. https://uk.openfoodfacts.org/packager-code/uk-ro030-ec

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The cup a soups are awful, very little flavour from them compared to Heinz variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The Sicilian Lemon yogurts are lovely. Like cheesecake in a tub :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Has the brown rice been discontinued?
    I couldn't find it the last few times (Cornmarket St.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

juke wrote: »
    Mine has had none for weeks - but I saw the old range yesterday with the same names/design, but in far smaller packaging.

Found them today -Thanks - seems to be the same ones only they are not individually wrapped and therefore you don't get that coffee aroma when you open the packet. ( which i presume couldn't be real?? or is infected into the bags??)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can't help with that I'm afraid but if you check the producer code on the back it will tell you the establishment it is produced at, and then you can look to see if they make other branded yogurts and check those ingredients as I imagine they would use the same culture across most/all of their yogurts e.g. https://uk.openfoodfacts.org/packager-code/uk-ro030-ec

Yeah, found that site; unfortunately, still no description of what's in the yogurt - other than milk. Mystery yogurt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The cup a soups are awful, very little flavour from them compared to Heinz variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

In the cold food section is Nasigoreng rice, cooking instructions say microwave, pah

Heat a bit of oil in a wok, add rice then as frying add dark soy sauce, SOOOOO much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's a new mint chocolate bar & Turkish delight they're doing. Both very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

scudzilla wrote: »
    In the cold food section is Nasigoreng rice, cooking instructions say microwave, pah

Heat a bit of oil in a wok, add rice then as frying add dark soy sauce, SOOOOO much better

Get this a couple of times a month for dinners in work, it's beautiful. Especially with a bit of chicken breast and a small bit of sweet chilli sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Get this a couple of times a month for dinners in work, it's beautiful. Especially with a bit of chicken breast and a small bit of sweet chilli sauce.

I usually use the cooked and sliced Cajun chicken breast that's near the sliced ham in it. Really nice for a quick and easy lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

scudzilla wrote: »

I throw in a few handfuls of frozen shrimp, sliced ginger, garlic, soy sauce, chilli, fish sauce and finish with scallions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

neris wrote: »
    There's a new mint chocolate bar & Turkish delight they're doing. Both very tasty.

Are they big bars or the small bars at the counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I got a tub of the green tea and lemon icecream that's part of the asian offers this week and it's a bit meh...

It's not nasty but it's pretty dull - vanilla icecream with a green sorbet swirl that is supposed to be green tea and lemon flavoured, but which just tastes vaguely citrus-y to me. If there's a tea flavour there, I must be missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Cien suncreams were on sale in my local Lidl yesterday "while stocks last"

I'm a big fan of the Factor 30 sports spray one - it's clear, not greasy, and really works (I've used it out sailing in the Med). They also have the dye-you-white kids 50+ one and other liquid ones.

Spray cans were 4 quid a pop - fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

An unrecommendation... Trattoria Alfredo The Deep Dish 2x mini 4 cheese feast pizza. Not impressed. LIDL used to do a lovely deep pan full size pizza for 1.49, but no more. Tesco still do tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I got a pack of the premium Sunstream tomatoes today and they are really really good and flavourful. I usually get them but the ones from today were simply amazing, maybe because they're coming into season soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It’s XXL week next week.

Did anyone try the chicken nuggets with cheese?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Deluxe Chargrilled vegetable and pesto sourdough pizza. Oval in a oblong box. Got one today at 30% off, very nice. Normal price 3.99

Got a pound of butter recently at Lidl (at least, I think it was Lidl - Champion is the brand) - and OMG someone's hand must have slipped on the salt dispenser when mixing it :eek:

Now, I'm a demon for salt, but even allowing for that I think I may have to throw this stuff out. It's practically inedible.

Wonder is this just a glitch or anomaly. Anyone else found the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Town of Monaghan Co-op.
    Don't throw it out.
    Ring them tomorrow let them know.
    There will be a Best Before date printed on the wrapper, and a time code.
    They can identify the churn batch easily then.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Town of Monaghan Co-op.
    Don't throw it out.
    Ring them tomorrow let them know.
    There will be a Best Before date printed on the wrapper, and a time code.
    They can identify the churn batch easily then.
    Really?

I was debating the merits of returning the butter to Lidl (but I can't even remember which shop I bought it in), not sure they'd give a monkeys tbh. Or maybe they would. Maybe going back to the manufacturer is a better idea......

Yes really.
    If no-one tells them, how can they determine if it's a machinery or a personell problem.
    I'd be surprised if they aren't grateful for a heads-up.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yes really.
    If no-one tells them, how can they determine if it's a machinery or a personell problem.
    I'd be surprised if they aren't grateful for a heads-up.
    True!

Will give a call in the morning.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    True!

Will give a call in the morning.

So... just to update.... Town of Monaghan Co-Op has become or is now part of LacPatrick. Emailed them, and they were straight back to me, looks like they want to collect the butter and see what's up with it. I hope they keep me posted!!

I hope they send you a few pounds of butter, and a selection of all the other stuff they make!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Patronus wheat beer.

5.5% and 1.49 a 500ml bottle. Gorgeous stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Patronus wheat beer.

5.5% and 1.49 a 500ml bottle. Gorgeous stuff

Thanks for the recommendation, wondered about it, I'll get a few for the game tonight so!

Advertisement