Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    They don't have that type jar in stock at the moment. Instead they have jars of Kanpur Garden with a compartment of powder in the lid. Tikka, Korma and Dopzia.
    In Cavan this morning, anyway.

I know the new jar is different then the one on the picture, but I couldn't find any recent photo on the internet. Thanks for the info, I may organise a Tikka Hinting trip tomorrow if there is a chance they have it outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

zom wrote: »
    Apologies for digging up of old thread but I am in a bit of paninic after I spent week trying to get my hands on Lidl's famous Kanpur Garden Tikka Massala cooing sauce, but I couldn' find it anymore. They have a nerve to mess like that with one of my favourite food - they have changed its package some time ago and now they took it off shelves. I hope temporrary but appreciate if anyone share info if spoted (old jar - now is simple streight):

441081.jpg

Hi zom.

I can see 'vegetarian' on the jar (from another image online). Do you know if it's also suitable for vegans?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi zom.

I can see 'vegetarian' on the jar (from another image online). Do you know if it's also suitable for vegans?

Thanks.

I have no idea but I can scan a label for you after I get it (if I get it) again.
    My personal recommendation is that this is one of the best canned curry I had, and probably the cheapest ;). Lidl's Kanpur Garden used to have even better Jalfresi cooking sauce years ago:

DSCN0620.jpg

... but they changed recipe and then I moved into their Tikka. I hope I can still buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I don't know if they have been mentioned before but Lidl's version of Cornettos, bigger and much nicer than HB .

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I haven't been able to find energy drinks in Lidl for the past few weeks. The sugar free ones are missing as well. Is this just a local thing, or has anyone else noticed this? It could be because of the sugar tax, but I don't know.

• Advertisement

I have no idea but I can scan a label for you after I get it (if I get it) again.

I appreciate it. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Panic over - I just found Lidl changing their package and presumably replacing their shelf stock. Tikka Masala is back, but it is no Kanpur Garden any more. As I was serious in my investigation, I also got some aditional options like one from Tesco (brand) and it seems it comes from same factory only with different branding:

lidl01.jpg

lidl02.jpg

And for the record, Lidl's ingradience in better quiality:

lidl03.jpg

BTW - any idea how to take labeling off the jars without destroying it. Would keep it for my records if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    So... just to update.... Town of Monaghan Co-Op has become or is now part of LacPatrick. Emailed them, and they were straight back to me, looks like they want to collect the butter and see what's up with it. I hope they keep me posted!!
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I hope they send you a few pounds of butter, and a selection of all the other stuff they make!

A further update - nice fella showed up last week to collect the butter, and this morning I got a letter giving me chapter and verse on all the tests they did and basically saying there was nothing wrong with it! I would beg to differ!!!

Also enclosed was a tenner voucher for Lidl, which was nice of them I suppose, except that it's for £10 and only usable in Northern Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    The irony is that they're in the R of I as well! I'd say it was just an honest mistake.

I'll probably email them and let them know. In fairness I can't fault them for their following up of the whole thing (even if I do beg to disagree with their results!)

• Advertisement

Panic over - I just found Lidl changing their package and presumably replacing their shelf stock. Tikka Masala is back, but it is no Kanpur Garden any more. As I was serious in my investigation, I also got some aditional options like one from Tesco (brand) and it seems it comes from same factory only with different branding:

lidl01.jpg

lidl02.jpg

And for the record, Lidl's ingradience in better quiality:

lidl03.jpg

BTW - any idea how to take labeling off the jars without destroying it. Would keep it for my records if I could.

Hi Zom.

Thanks for posting the ingredients. There's milk in them so that's off the menu for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Soak the jar in luke warm water for a while. Should come off then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you heat it with a hairdryer it should melt the glue enough to remove the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Think there was discussion on here a while back about coconut milk - my local Lidl has been out of it for ages but had it back in today with a big "new!" label. Don't know why they have it in as a new product, packaging was the same as before so hopefully the quality is as good. I found it was much creamier than other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I found it was much creamier than other brands.
    It was, you have to check the % on the back. Lidls was higher coconut extract than any I saw in regular supermarkets, including branded ones. Only more expensive ones in asian supermarkets would be higher.

The usual way people compare is with the coconut extract. I have an aldi one here 68% coconut extract.

This is not as exact a science as comparing say vodka of different %. I remember seeing coconut milks with different % but very similar calorie content, or the lower % one might have had more calories. i.e. all "coconut extract" is not equal. I expect some has more fat and some have more water and more solids than others.

Looking on tesco Amoy is 55%, Blue Dragon is 56%, tesco 51%

Blue dragon light is 25%, Amoy reduced fat is 30%, tesco low fat 22%, basically just more watered down, but the exact same price.

Found my old post, lidl was 82%
    rubadub wrote: »

But my lidl "freshona" 99c is 400ml and "82% coconut", 21g fat per 100ml and 210kcal per 100ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

rubadub wrote: »
    It was, you have to check the % on the back. Lidls was higher coconut extract than any I saw in regular supermarkets, including branded ones. Only more expensive ones in asian supermarkets would be higher.

The usual way people compare is with the coconut extract. I have an aldi one here 68% coconut extract.

This is not as exact a science as comparing say vodka of different %. I remember seeing coconut milks with different % but very similar calorie content, or the lower % one might have had more calories. i.e. all "coconut extract" is not equal. I expect some has more fat and some have more water and more solids than others.

Looking on tesco Amoy is 55%, Blue Dragon is 56%, tesco 51%

Blue dragon light is 25%, Amoy reduced fat is 30%, tesco low fat 22%, basically just more watered down, but the exact same price.

Found my old post, lidl was 82%

Yep, just checked the label there and this is 82% so should be same consistency as before. Odd that they're marketing it as new but I got a good few tins in case it disappears again!

Still no sign of the energy drinks. They're using the empty spots on the shelf for their special offers. They might as well, I suppose, but the signs for the energy drinks are still up...

I nEeD mY cAfFeInE!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Still no sign of the energy drinks. They're using the empty spots on the shelf for their special offers. They might as well, I suppose, but the signs for the energy drinks are still up...

I nEeD mY cAfFeInE!

Soft drinks suppliers are struggling now due to CO2 shortage. Not saying that is the reason for shortage on this particular product, but I have had few issues at work with certain soft fizzy drinks not showing up.

wonski wrote: »
    Soft drinks suppliers are struggling now due to CO2 shortage. Not saying that is the reason for shortage on this particular product, but I have had few issues at work with certain soft fizzy drinks not showing up.

I've read about that, but I didn't connect the dots, so thanks! I thought it might have been something to do with the new sugar tax.

I've read about that, but I didn't connect the dots, so thanks! I thought it might have been something to do with the new sugar tax.

You are still up after 4 am so maybe you don't need caffeine at all :) Unless you just woke up...

• Advertisement

Well the big ball of light tends to put me in a coma around 9am in this weather, and when I wake up, I'm awake until it starts cooking me to sleep again. Lidl whiskey "Queen Margot" at 13.99 helps, but not much!

Keep an eye on your meat, unless it is vacuum packed, as I have seen few requests to reduce minimum Use By date by one or two days.

The meat might not last as long as expected.

CO2 is used to keep the meat fresh when map system is in use (modified atmosphere packaging) where 80% is oxygen and the balance made up of CO2.

CO2 is also used in slaughter houses, so the availability can be lower than expected.

Edit : it is highly required for beef at 80%, but other meats also use it, but at slightly lower level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I nEeD mY cAfFeInE!

Still piled high in Aldi......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The American range is in but no monteray jack cheese slices this time, they have flavoured ones alright but no plain, booo. Anyone know where else sells them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Dunne's have Monterey Jack slices

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I think I saw them in aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Love the lupilu apple & pear puree pots - great for throwing a spoon onto greek yogurt for a quick, light dessert, especially in this weather, or some porridge.

Yes I know they are designed for babies :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

yogibear77 wrote: »
    I think I saw them in aldi

Plain jack? As they do have circular flavoured jack for burgers, burger melts, I’m just looking for plain Monterey Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I was the burger melts I was thinking of, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Bought a box of Lidls Cornettos yesterday and they're really good. The Ice Cream and the cone are identical to real ones. 8 in a box for 2 quid - can't go wrong.

Advertisement