Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Top shelf is usually safe.
    Or 2 minutes after opening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Just back from Lanzarote the local Lidl had a great selection of fresh baked goods, all in behind closed glass doors, a small slot with a shovel tapered scoop/tongs implement that you used to shove to the grates on either side of the cabinet.
    Brilliant idea. You picked up yours and bagged it, no filthy paws. Store easily had a least 2 dozen different cabinets with different fresh baked items. Picke up chocolate covered donuts for .29c ea.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I had also written to LIDL before to tell them that I've often seen people (usually it's children and older people) touch and feel the bread and pastries. I got a standard reply that they would be looking into it and never heard anything about it afterwards. The same thing happens in Tesco, Dunnes, some SuperValus and smaller independent supermarkets. Thankfully pretzels are on the highest shelf and when I pick a roll I take one from the back of the basket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

[quote=.[/QUOTE]

They replied and said that all new stores would have the open food behind glass doors - havent seen that implemented anywhere.

[/quote]

That would be so much better. I was in Aldi in Majorca during the year and that's what was there. Excellent idea. You can only get one item out at a time and it can't be put back in.
    So much more hygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

What I actually witnessed was a kid pick up what I think were apple pastries and squeeze the apple out of both ends into his gob before returning them to the display. I informed a staff member expecting the display to be cleared of said items but the response was a bit meh to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

squadro wrote: »
    What I actually witnessed was a kid pick up what I think were apple pastries and squeeze the apple out of both ends into his gob before returning them to the display. I informed a staff member expecting the display to be cleared of said items but the response was a bit meh to say the least.

Eurgh - exactly why I wont touch open food for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Do Lidl do jars of jalapenos? I've never seen them.

Also, what's going on with their wraps? I haven't seen a packet of wraps in the Castlebar store in months! Rowan Bakery is their brand that I normally buy!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Also, what's going on with their wraps? I haven't seen a packet of wraps in the Castlebar store in months! Rowan Bakery is their brand that I normally buy!

If you mean the ones that come as Mediterranean wraps or plain wraps, the last few times I ahve bought these in a pack of 8 there were less than 8 in the packet. 5 in one, 6 in another! Stopped buying them (for other reasons) so I haven't noticed them much but they seemed to sell out of them quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

miamee wrote: »
    If you mean the ones that come as Mediterranean wraps or plain wraps, the last few times I ahve bought these in a pack of 8 there were less than 8 in the packet. 5 in one, 6 in another! Stopped buying them (for other reasons) so I haven't noticed them much but they seemed to sell out of them quickly enough.

Yeah, sometimes there's four different types (plain, wholewheat, seeds and Mediterranean) but I haven't seen any wraps in a longtime!

Yeah, sometimes there's four different types (plain, wholewheat, seeds and Mediterranean) but I haven't seen any wraps in a longtime!

They had them in Tallaght last Saturday.

Whats gone off the shelves and driving me nuts is the own brand conditioner in the tubes. I always use it. Its particularly handy for gym bag because it doesnt tend to bust open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I think they only come in as part of either the American or Mexican weekly specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My local Tesco stared wrapping all bakery goods before putting them out in on the shelf. It's a great thing in my opinion but some people would say it's a waste of plastic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

They do sometimes, personally I didn't like them.
    Mushy texture and not very hot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lidl have big red jars of a rip-off of Candarel aspartame based sweetener for 70c, great I thought, a fraction of what I pay for Candarel. So I grabbed one and tried it. Except the problem is... its not sweet, at all. Thinking I hadnt used enough in the first couple of cups of tea I tried a ridiculous amount, maybe 6 teaspoons worth, nope, it just makes the tea taste like it was made from horrible water you get in hotels on holiday. Tasting a bit on my tongue it was closer to bitter than sweet, also it makes the tea hiss like a fizzy drink. A total failure of a product there Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I love the cotton candy grapes they have in at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Had a delicious red yesterday Vespral Reserva and only €7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

....... wrote: »
    Eurgh - exactly why I wont touch open food for sale.

never ever ever and the same for fruit that is not going to be peeled. even that they have been breathed.... sneezed... coughed on.

Graces7 wrote: »
    never ever ever and the same for fruit that is not going to be peeled. even that they have been breathed.... sneezed... coughed on.

At least you can wash fruit - you cant wash bakery goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

unless it's in plastic wrap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

At least you can wash fruit - you cant wash bakery goods!

Anyone ever been sick from these products? nah, didn't think so.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »

How would you know if youd been sick from eating a sneeze muffin or youd just picked up a bug through airbourne transmission or some other way?

Im not even concerned about being sick - Im simply concerned about it being disgusting and stomach churning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How would you know if youd been sick from eating a sneeze muffin or youd just picked up a bug through airbourne transmission or some other way?

Im not even concerned about being sick - Im simply concerned about it being disgusting and stomach churning.

Stomach churning? Jaysus, people getting very fussy these days.:p

Stomach churning? Jaysus, people getting very fussy these days.:p

Feel free to eat a snot donut.

I will feel free to be stomach churned by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

Lol.. this is gold :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

You want a plain donut?

Or one with sprinkles?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would say it is highly likely they have. And of course highly difficult to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

L1011 wrote: »
    Still some stock of frozen patatas bravas from the Iberian week around. Need to check for tiny ones or obvious black bits before putting in the oven but still much faster than making your own. Use the extra time to make an aioli (or find one elsewhere)

I take it back, I take it all back. They are not the same product as the past few years. They're just diced baby potatoes this time, and vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Packaging isn't a guarantee of cleanliness either. I saw this yesterday, and replies to it with photos of mould and items inside juice cartons, etc. Disgusting.

https://www.facebook.com/corksredfm/posts/10155861473832060?__xts__

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Visited a Lidl in Portugal this morning.Pretty much the same as Ireland except for the bakery and the cafe.
    Prices pretty much the same with the exception of drink and fruit.
    The bakery is amazing, using little shovels to scoop your bread into a chute for collection.
    Cafe looked nice, sold hot food and beer. Coffee 55cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Lidl isn't relatively cheap everywhere. Lidl prices in Poland are expensive enough when you take local wages into account, be a bit like that in Portugal as well I'd say.

Advertisement