Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Lidl isn't relatively cheap everywhere. Lidl prices in Poland are expensive enough when you take local wages into account, be a bit like that in Portugal as well I'd say.

They're alright in Germany, but they have cheaper supermarkets there as well! I love Penny and Norma! (no homo.)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A german lady that my aunt knows told her that Lidl is considered a luxury supermarket in Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

A german lady that my aunt knows told her that Lidl is considered a luxury supermarket in Germany!

She must have been pulling her leg! As far as discount supermarkets go, maybe. But otherwise, definitely not!
    The Aldis and to an extent the Lidls in Ireland tend to be nicer in Ireland.

(I am German and go back and forth regularly)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Not food related but did they discontinue the Cien hair mask?
    It was an amazing product, especially for the price and I can't find it anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This isn't a recommendation - has anyone else found the various salad leaves in Lidl shockingly tired and limp/dry looking. In recent weeks I've bought two of the usually excellent De Lux branded treble leaves (which is sold in it's compost ball to retain freshness) and they've dried out and rotted in no time at all. Everything I looked at this week was very poor condition - green but clearly dry and likely to rot in two days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This isn't a recommendation - has anyone else found the various salad leaves in Lidl shockingly tired and limp/dry looking. In recent weeks I've bought two of the usually excellent De Lux branded treble leaves (which is sold in it's compost ball to retain freshness) and they've dried out and rotted in no time at all. Everything I looked at this week was very poor condition - green but clearly dry and likely to rot in two days.

I find a lot of their veg like that. Not stuff that already has good longevity like root vegetables, but salads, yes.

I always put it down to it being transported long distance in a refrigerated truck so its already a few days old by the time it gets to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've noticed issues with their fruits lately. Apples in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I normally buy this exact lettuce as it normally lasts well, but last week the entire box and the one underneath was in a shocking state in the shop in Shannon.  So I bought one of the bags.  Situation was better yesterday, but the root ball was dry as anything when I got it home - will have to see how it lasts now that I have watered it.  Root ball used always be damp before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

If there's water restrictions still in place in parts, maybe they weren't allowed to water them? All I can think of!
    I normally buy their bags of mixed leaves, think they're Med/Italian leaves on the bag. Take them home, open the bag & stick a paper towel in. Lasts for about a week then, though my salads use nearly the whole bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I've noticed issues with their fruits lately. Apples in particular.

I've found th same with their donut peaches for the last month or so. 3 or 4 would be furry and mouldy within 2 or 3 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Heroditas wrote: »
    I've found th same with their donut peaches for the last month or so. 3 or 4 would be furry and mouldy within 2 or 3 days

Bought oranges on Sunday and just went to take one. All covered in furry mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Three 50% coupons in next weeks leaflet, valid until 13/09
    Sweet potato chips 500g €2.79
    Turkey rashers 150g €2.19
    Greek yoghurt 500g €1.69
    Are sweet potato chips nice? and turkey rashers?
    Never had them before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

My husband loves the turkey rashers but I find them a bit tasteless. Much drier than normal rashers.

Much healthier than a normal rasher though and if you were making like toast/egg/rasher then theyre grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

zell12 wrote: »
    Are sweet potato chips nice? and turkey rashers?
    Never had them before!

Not mad about the turkey rashers.
    The sweet potato fries are nice but my kids don't like them.
    Their not the easiest to cook either, I find a lot of the time their almost starting to burn on the tips by time their crispy/crunchy enough to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

12 bottles of the Alma da Vinha Douro secured at €3.74 a bottle.A very good red indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

12 bottles of the Alma da Vinha Douro secured at €3.74 a bottle.A very good red indeed.

Yeah, came out with 12 bottles also, coffee sachets, organic pasta sauce, capri sun type drinks but another member of the shopping party went bananas and we also came out with various garments, an umbrella and alpine walking sticks... And 8 of the bottles are reserved for other family members!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I highly recommend the ‘Sondey’ Triple chocolate cookies in the white packaging for €1.39.

They’re very chocolatey - Half coated in chocolate, and have white, milk and dark chocolate chips. Much nicer than other name brand cookies, which would be 3 times the price.

There are other cookies in the range - I have forgotten the flavours, but hope to check them out also. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Deluxe layered yoghurts are nice - raspberry and passion fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭maniac2003

they've changed haulage carriers lately afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Is there a limit per person? The NZ white thats on offer this weekend is gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Is there a limit per person? The NZ white thats on offer this weekend is gorgeous!

6 per person. Bring a friend.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I have to admit, I'm starting to go off Lidl. I used to love them for their fruit and veg, but the quality of that has gone down noticeably in the last 4 weeks or so. I also used to love the fresh pretzels, but I haven't seen any of those in the shop for at least 2 months now.
    They've stopped doing coconut milk a while back, I haven't been able to find any lentils, no yoghurts without added sweeteners, no wedges of Edam or Gouda, nor any icing sugar.

It seems to me they're going much more into ready-made food and have fewer and fewer actual ingredients.

I'm not too keen on the fruit and veg in Aldi (I really dislike them keeping fresh fruit and veg in a fridge), but I'll be giving them a try for the next few months instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Could it just be an issue in your local Lidl? I've bought all of the above over the last few weeks, except for coconut milk and icing sugar. The only thing I couldn't get the last few times I looked was sesame seeds, which are no longer sold in Aldi either.
    The butternut squash and sweet potatoes I bought last week were actually fantastic, especially the squash which was super flavoursome.
    The plums were terrible though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Shenshen wrote: »
    I have to admit, I'm starting to go off Lidl.

Agreed. I have to say I'm more of an Aldi girl anyway, but I bought the fillet steaks in Lidl at the weekend because they were on offer for €4. They were stingy and a bit tough. I didn't expect that from fillet steak.
    Not a patch on the Aldi Angus ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My local Lidl does still have Edam and Gouda and wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

odyssey06 wrote: »

The staff don't care. I went in twice within minutes of each transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Could be just my local one, then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

odyssey06 wrote: »

Buy six, place in the car, circle around again!

Fillet steak is over-rated.
    Rib-eye every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The Lidl in Gorey, which is big and pretty fancy still has tons of really nice stuff, I found others worse though.
    At least in Gorey where I do my shop I find Aldi's fruit and veg better and buy most of it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agreed. I have to say I'm more of an Aldi girl anyway, but I bought the fillet steaks in Lidl at the weekend because they were on offer for €4. They were stingy and a bit tough. I didn't expect that from fillet steak.
    Not a patch on the Aldi Angus ones.

Personally I love those single packed fillet steaks so stocked up on the €4 deal - you do need to root through all the packs to pick the best looking ones but when you pick the right ones they are fab imo!

Advertisement