Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Personally I love those single packed fillet steaks so stocked up on the €4 deal - you do need to root through all the packs to pick the best looking ones but when you pick the right ones they are fab imo!

Oops, I meant stringy not stingy. Bloomin' predictive text!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Oops, I meant stringy not stingy. Bloomin' predictive text!

I think the Rib Eye steaks are far nicer.
    Again, sort through them for one with nice marbelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Fat equals flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I went earlier and couldn't find the Thai Jasmine rice?! Another thing they phased out? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

LirW wrote: »
    I went earlier and couldn't find the Thai Jasmine rice?! Another thing they phased out? :(

Noticed theyve had less of it lately.

Although they had no pitta bread for a few weeks and now its back in abundance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never knew Lidl sold Thai rice.
    We go through rather a lot of Thai rice so we buy it in 10Kg bags in our local Asian shop. It's pretty much the only white rice we use apart for Japanese rice occasionally. Oh, basmati sometimes, too.

I never knew Lidl sold Thai rice.
    We go through rather a lot of Thai rice so we buy it in 10Kg bags in our local Asian shop. It's pretty much the only white rice we use apart for Japanese rice occasionally. Oh, basmati sometimes, too.

I'm not too keen on Basmati, it would be my second choice but Thai beats it by far. I have no Asian store anywhere near here but that's probably how I'll do it, getting a big bag and finally a rice cooker, it's a rice household here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Have never tried Thai rice! Interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Been looking for it in my local for at least a month now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I highly recommend the Tikka Masala paste. Mix it in with some chicken, chilli's, passata, mango chutney. Ideal for a slow cooker. Serve with rice and poppadoms. Gonna make another pot of it tonight!

• Advertisement

I highly recommend the Tikka Masala paste. Mix it in with some chicken, chilli's, passata, mango chutney. Ideal for a slow cooker. Serve with rice and poppadoms. Gonna make another pot of it tonight!

Is it in a jar?

Do you use the whole jar?

....... wrote: »
    Is it in a jar?

Do you use the whole jar?

Yeah for 1kg of chicken I'd use the whole jar. It's good stuff!

Yeah for 1kg of chicken I'd use the whole jar. It's good stuff!

Yes I saw it before and was thinking of getting it. I love their spicy mango chutney.

DO you get the passata in lidl as well?

....... wrote: »
    Yes I saw it before and was thinking of getting it. I love their spicy mango chutney.

DO you get the passata in lidl as well?

I use the spicy mango chutney ( I use half a jar) as well from lidl. Stir that in when you're nearly finished cooking.

Yeah the passata is from Lidl too. You can buy the 700ml jar or a small carton.

I use the spicy mango chutney ( I use half a jar) as well from lidl. Stir that in when you're nearly finished cooking.

Yeah the passata is from Lidl too. You can buy the 700ml jar or a small carton.

Oh great, Im not familiar with the passata - I will look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I use the spicy mango chutney ( I use half a jar) as well from lidl.

Couldnt find this just now, is it the same shelf as the Tikka paste?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Couldnt find this just now, is it the same shelf as the Tikka paste?

Yeah they're very close to each other - Same goes for the the paste, poppadoms, passata and rice!

Will steal this slow cooker idea! Are the other jars nice too?

Will steal this slow cooker idea! Are the other jars nice too?

It works really well in the slow cooker. Couldn't be any easier as well: Cook the chicken and whatever veg you want for about 3 hours on slow. Drain the liquid and then add the paste along with the passata, let it cook away for an hour. Add in the mango chutney near the end.

I haven't tried the Green Thai yet, I'll give that a go soon. It's a pity they've stopped selling the coconut milk!

It works really well in the slow cooker. Couldn't be any easier as well: Cook the chicken and whatever veg you want for about 3 hours on slow. Drain the liquid and then add the paste along with the passata, let it cook away for an hour. Add in the mango chutney near the end.

I haven't tried the Green Thai yet, I'll give that a go soon. It's a pity they've stopped selling the coconut milk!

Thank you so much, that's a really great idea for busy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Tried their sweet potato chips tonight that were on offer at 50% off this week. Not the healthiest but really tasty and much nicer than the strong roots branded ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My local Lidl also still has icing sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Their German selection is in at the moment. Tried a packet of "Authentic German potato noodles"
    Fried on the pan, they are quite tasty.
    A lot like Boxty, nothing like noodles!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Their German selection is in at the moment. Tried a packet of "Authentic German potato noodles"

Hope you ate them with apple sauce, the way we used to eat them at home :D

Thanks a mill, going to try this out at the weekend. Havent really been using my slow cooker much but between this and coddle Ive new ideas for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Schupfnudeln?
    Yes, I never understood why they're even called "Nudeln", but they are absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There’s a bottle of vodka coming into lidl next week called Feckin unbelievable Irish vodka lol. Costs €24.99 and a bottle of feckin Gin at €26.99.

Why is Irish vodka pretty expensive if there’s no shipping costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Duty and VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Duty and VAT.

So they put more duty and vat on an Irish bottle of vodka than a polish one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fin12 wrote: »

Why is Irish vodka pretty expensive if there’s no shipping costs?

Perhaps it's to do with production costs at the scale they are making it.
    Or perhaps it is what they reckon people will pay for an Irish made vodka.
    Perhaps a combination of the two.

There are plenty of expensive Polish vodkas too.

Advertisement