Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

NZ Sauvignon Blanc is mental value today and tomorrow for €4.24 a bottle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Irish made spice mixes and pastes selling in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

fin12 wrote:
    So they put more duty and vat on an Irish bottle of vodka than a polish one?

Well the base price is likely higher in the first place, so yes, you will pay more VAT as a result. Duty is fixed.

vicwatson wrote:
    NZ Sauvignon Blanc is mental value today and tomorrow for €4.24 a bottle

If you could get it anywhere. My sister went to five different branches from 11.30 and all were sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Shrinkflation alert!

Carmel and Biscuit bars (fake Twix) has shrunk from 290g per pack to 210g per pack. They retail at 65c I think they used to be 75c

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

They're doing a new biscuit - a square wafer, chocolate and hazelnut one that's individually wrapped. Genuinely one of the nicest biccies I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    They're doing a new biscuit - a square wafer, chocolate and hazelnut one that's individually wrapped. Genuinely one of the nicest biccies I've ever had.

Do you mean Manner wafers?

https://www.manner.com/en/products/wafers/original-neapolitan-wafers

They're only part of the Alpenfest range and not permanent. And they are amazing.

No, that's not them. They're square in a blue wrapper - think they're Tower Gate. I'll take a picture after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

No, that's not them. They're square in a blue wrapper - think they're Tower Gate. I'll take a picture after work.

I think I saw them too - in the ordinary biscuit aisle, not among the specials?

Yeah, regular biscuit isle. There was a sign on the shelf saying they're a new product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I couldnt find any in LIDL recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

fin12 wrote: »
    There’s a bottle of vodka coming into lidl next week called Feckin unbelievable Irish vodka lol. Costs €24.99 and a bottle of feckin Gin at €26.99.

That just seems like a gimmick - I wouldnt be running to buy a bottle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

Is it the blue ones call Carre?

search?q=carre+lidl&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=2ScNw0bL0ZBCvM%253A%252CILem7DYMD7q-7M%252C_&usg=AFrqEzdpPaHnfJjnT182rxxWXPyrgo1sMQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi57ZHvjcLdAhUsC8AKHQ3vBh4Q9QEwAHoECAUQBA#imgdii=_jGgJcX-99JtOM:&imgrc=2ScNw0bL0ZBCvM:

If so steer clear of the ones in the XXL aisle as they are dearer. The normal biscuit aisle has a 10 pack for €1.65 and the XXL pack has 12 in it but they are €2.49. I have noticed that on a few things in the XXL range.

I don't know if it's just the latest XXL week but it used to be that you got extra free in the enlarged pack. On some of the items the prices increased, this being a prime example.

I religiously check the price per kilo on EVERYTHING. My sister thinks I'm mad, but it pays off!

MB05 wrote: »
    Is it the blue ones call Carre?

search?q=carre+lidl&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=2ScNw0bL0ZBCvM%253A%252CILem7DYMD7q-7M%252C_&usg=AFrqEzdpPaHnfJjnT182rxxWXPyrgo1sMQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi57ZHvjcLdAhUsC8AKHQ3vBh4Q9QEwAHoECAUQBA#imgdii=_jGgJcX-99JtOM:&imgrc=2ScNw0bL0ZBCvM:

If so steer clear of the ones in the XXL aisle as they are dearer. The normal biscuit aisle has a 10 pack for €1.65 and the XXL pack has 12 in it but they are €2.49. I have noticed that on a few things in the XXL range.

I don't know if it's just the latest XXL week but it used to be that you got extra free in the enlarged pack. On some of the items the prices increased, this being a prime example.

Yep - these are they. They're so tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I religiously check the price per kilo on EVERYTHING. My sister thinks I'm mad, but it pays off!

Ha! So do I.
    Any a question for you Lidl'ites, why is Caster Sugar always cheaper than regular granulated sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

....... wrote: »
    That just seems like a gimmick - I wouldnt be running to buy a bottle of it.

I know just thought the label was funny. I’ll just stick with the Smirnoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bought a packet of biscuits from the piles near the till a while back, East Coast Bakery - I plumped for the ginger ones and I have to say they're very lovely (and I'm not a biscuity person at all) - lovely and crunchy and spicy.

No idea if they're part of regular stock as I only got around to opening them the other day. But I'll be keeping an eye out for them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Bought a packet of biscuits from the piles near the till a while back, East Coast Bakery - I plumped for the ginger ones and I have to say they're very lovely (and I'm not a biscuity person at all) - lovely and crunchy and spicy.

No idea if they're part of regular stock as I only got around to opening them the other day. But I'll be keeping an eye out for them again.

The come into Lidl a few times a years. They are always in other supermarkets and are on offer the odd time.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote:

They put crack or something in those ginger biscuits. I don't have a sweet tooth at all and ate the entire packet of those in about three days when my sister bought them a while back. Biscuits normally end up going stale and getting thrown out in our house. They're not allowed past the front door anymore.

The one who was on the Dragon Den a few years ago Alison Cowzer owns the company.
    I'd be mixed about their products sometimes they can be nice but sometimes they can be burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Any a question for you Lidl'ites, why is Caster Sugar always cheaper than regular granulated sugar?
    I was told, and believe, it was for grocery survey reasons. They can say their cheapest 1kg of sugar is €1.09 even though most are blindly buying the more expensive granulated stuff.

In tesco 1kg of caster is 1.09, 500g in the same style packaging is 89cent. The tesco everyday/value granulated has been dearer for years, usually 1.19, but now I see it is 1.00

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=tesco%201kg%20granulated

This is possibly down to price matching again. So check in lidl as they might drop to beat/match tesco now.

I used to brew lots of beer and caster sugar would have been great as it dissolves quicker but it was invariable more expensive, and should be.

Lots of people do not realise caster sugar is simply finer than regular granulated. I remember a woman looking through burst bags in tesco and told her the kg of caster was cheaper. She looked at me like I was mad. Some think there is something peculiar about it and that it is only for baking.
    zell12 wrote: »
    Tesco finally publish their comparison products against Aldi,Lidl,Supervalu,Dunnes
    ‘The 800’ are the 800 products from the total Tesco product range that Tesco consider matter most to our customers
    https://food-and-community.tesco.ie/assets/Uploads/Tesco-The-800-List.pdf

Mr price do tate & lyle 1kg for 79cent, dealz is also usually cheap

http://www.mrprice.ie/p/tate--lyle-granulated-sugar-1kg/5010115910014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

rubadub wrote: »
    I was told, and believe, it was for grocery survey reasons. They can say their cheapest 1kg of sugar is €1.09 even though most are blindly buying the more expensive granulated stuff.

In tesco 1kg of caster is 1.09, 500g in the same style packaging is 89cent. The tesco everyday/value granulated has been dearer for years, usually 1.19, but now I see it is 1.00

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=tesco%201kg%20granulated

This is possibly down to price matching again. So check in lidl as they might drop to beat/match tesco now.

I used to brew lots of beer and caster sugar would have been great as it dissolves quicker but it was invariable more expensive, and should be.

Lots of people do not realise caster sugar is simply finer than regular granulated. I remember a woman looking through burst bags in tesco and told her the kg of caster was cheaper. She looked at me like I was mad. Some think there is something peculiar about it and that it is only for baking.

Mr price do tate & lyle 1kg for 79cent, dealz is also usually cheap

http://www.mrprice.ie/p/tate--lyle-granulated-sugar-1kg/5010115910014

Thanks for this - wondering about this has been a minor annoyance of mine for years, and I only think of it when I'm in the shop; I never remember to look it up when I get home. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

What are the new chocolate and honeycomb sausages like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wtf? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I saw a box and shelf sign for caramelized onion sausages this morning. Would have gotten them but out of stock.

I also saw bacon jam!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

These were out before, from this thread
    Put them in the oven with my Aldi Chilli Bockwurst with the intention of having them for dessert with a cup of tea.
    They were not what I expected, a slight sweet taste but no more than if you had a sweet chilli flavoured sausage or caramelised red onion, got no trace of honeycomb and couldn't really detect chocolate.
    They were fine but there are much better sausages out there for the same price or less.

They get them in about once or twice a year.
    They are just a special buy do if you want them you'd need to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Yep - these are they. They're so tasty.

My waistline hates you!!! They're so good :o:pac:

Advertisement