Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Yep - these are they. They're so tasty.
    nXZJ8pc.png

I think these are the Lidl "version" of Knoppers, a famous German hazelnut wafer brand, introduced in 1983.
    Alid used to sell them.
    There also available in Tesco and I've seen them in Dealz.

392847011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=c0ab106091a5f0d2fca41724dc1f0693

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

They also have a Hazelnut Cream only version in the same box. That's like a take on Hanuta. Not quite as nice as the original, but nice enough to buy again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

.red. wrote: »
    I also saw bacon jam!

Has anyone tried this?
    Could be delicious.
    And there was an Irish smoked ketchup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this?
    Could be delicious.

I had chips in Spain last week with bacon jam and cheese on top - it was amazing. I need to find this bacon jam to recreate at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this?
    Could be delicious.

I haven't had the specific one that's in Lidl this week, but bacon jam is pretty much like any other savoury condiment - works well with cheese, on sandwiches, with crusty bread, sausage rolls, etc. Use it like you would onion marmalade, essentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=13115

Spotted these today in my local Lidl, not in the usual gluten-free section but with the other cereal bars.

Just had one of the cashew/cherry/dark choc ones, and it was delicious! Bit challenging on my sligtly delicate fillings :eek: but I'm looking forward to trying the almond/sea salt one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Spotted these today in my local Lidl, not in the usual gluten-free section but with the other cereal bars.

Just had one of the cashew/cherry/dark choc ones, and it was delicious! Bit challenging on my sligtly delicate fillings :eek: but I'm looking forward to trying the almond/sea salt one.

They are pretty much Kind Bar dupes - very slight difference in the recipe but my guess is they are made by the same folks.

Dark choc sea salt nuts one is the business!

They are pretty much Kind Bar dupes - very slight difference in the recipe but my guess is they are made by the same folks.

Never heard of Kind Bars.

It's the fact that they all have dark chocolate is the winner for me. Can't stand anything but dark, and really love it (and cherries, and almonds, and sea salt with dark chocolate.....)

Actually, I think I might be a little bit afraid of these now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

They are delicious! Aldi do a similar version but the Lidl ones are nicer. The peanut butter ones are not peanutty enough though!

Mmmm... tried the almond/sea salt one - it's nice alright, but not delicious.

Cashew/cherry one still winning for me.

Haven't tried the peanut butter one, but see from a post above that it might disappoint as well.

• Advertisement

Mmmm... tried the almond/sea salt one - it's nice alright, but not delicious.

Cashew/cherry one still winning for me.

Haven't tried the peanut butter one, but see from a post above that it might disappoint as well.

I actually prefer the Aldi versions overall - they have slightly less sugar in them too. So I tell myself they are healthier :) The peanut butter one definitely does not taste peanut buttery - just generally nutty if that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've been trying out various own-brand oven chips in my airfryer for about the last 6 months (tesco, aldi, lidl, dunnes, both normal range and 'finest'), and I think the lidl ones for 1.19 in the green bag are the nicest by a long way. I cook them in a phillips airfryer, so they come out really crispy and evenly browned, and I think they really have the crunch you normally only get from a deep-fried chip.

Well these didn't last long :mad:

Went in to stock up on more of these today, and not a sign of them anywhere.

Grrrrrrr.

Melendez wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I keep meaning to reply to this - Lidl don't sell it on its own but they do a soup mix that's 50% pearl barley.

No idea about Aldi, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Does anyone know if the pastel de nata (custard tarts) are currently available in the bakery range?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the pastel de nata (custard tarts) are currently available in the bakery range?

The last two times I've being in Lidl I've being in a bit of a rush but I want the cinnamon swirls and didn't notice them. I glanced at the bakery even bought bread but I saw no 'new product' signs.

Ludikrus wrote:

They're coming soon according to the current mag.

Dial Hard wrote: »

Yes, along with the protein rolls - haven't seen them yet but looking forward to trying them (along with the cinnamon rolls I'd say :pac:)

The light hot chocolate (40 cals a serving) is very good - similar to cadbury highlights but much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Haven't seen them yet, the bigger centras have them tho, €1.10 each or 3 for €2.50. I've just finished 2 with a cuppa. Very addictive little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Polish cheese slices (10) for 99c at moment are delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

B0jangles wrote: »
    I've been trying out various own-brand oven chips in my airfryer for about the last 6 months (tesco, aldi, lidl, dunnes, both normal range and 'finest'), and I think the lidl ones for 1.19 in the green bag are the nicest by a long way. I cook them in a phillips airfryer, so they come out really crispy and evenly browned, and I think they really have the crunch you normally only get from a deep-fried chip.

are you sure this is lidl? aldi have the "champion" brand ones which come in a green bag and have been recommended many MANY times in the airfryer thread.

I got the aldi ones and though they were pretty good, but not amazing. I like the tesco skinny ones, very like McDs. The tesco finest are OK if you add some more oil to them in the airfryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Personally I find all frozen chips hit and miss sometimes they are lovely but you can met a bad batch every so often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

rubadub wrote: »
    are you sure this is lidl? aldi have the "champion" brand ones which come in a green bag and have been recommended many MANY times in the airfryer thread.

I got the aldi ones and though they were pretty good, but not amazing. I like the tesco skinny ones, very like McDs. The tesco finest are OK if you add some more oil to them in the airfryer.

Definitely the lidl ones - the aldi ones are decent, but they are cut much bigger so you don't get as much of a crunch as you do with the lidl ones. I think the lidl ones are a bit oilier too, so they come out more like a deep-fried chip than any others I've tried.

The tesco fries are indeed excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

B0jangles wrote: »
    Definitely the lidl ones - the aldi ones are decent, but they are cut much bigger so you don't get as much of a crunch as you do with the lidl ones. I think the lidl ones are a bit oilier too, so they come out more like a deep-fried chip than any others I've tried.

The tesco fries are indeed excellent!

The green bag of frozen chips in Lidl are called Homestyle Chips. They do a smaller brown bag called Jumbo Fries. They are more like the Mc Cain Home Chips if people like them. Slightly thicker but both are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

The croquettes in the freezer are a nice alternative to the chips and if cooked too crispy are really nice.

Also the salmon and asparagus quiche on the specials this week is too notch. Always look forward to it coming in for Christmas and Easter so nice to see it in October!

Anyone who likes corn flakes the lidl ones are far nicer than aldi ones and significantly less sugar

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Dial Hard wrote: »

They had these in my local Lidl last night, 0.79c each or 3 for €2. I bought two for myself and OH. They weren't bad at all. Glad I scratched that itch now, I've tasted them, won't be buying them again :D But I read something about cinnamon rolls up above... :eek:

Cinnamon rolls were in stillorgan this evening - 79 cent - look massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I have a major problem with the Lidl bakery in that most of the stuff especially the sweet stuff tastes like something that was in a freezer for ages before being reheated, I dont really like any of it anymore, the texture is just wrong in things like Doughnuts and the bread rolls. The cheese and onion rolls and the cheese rolls are the only things Id class as actually nice in them these days. Just back from the Netherlands and the in-store bakeries over there in most supermarkets are on another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Milbona Mini Soft Cheese Blue Veined
    Not overly impressed, thick skin and hardly any blue. Won't buy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

22 pack of Golden wonder crisps for €3.

Good stuff for pets and cars in at the moment.

Advertisement