Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

LirW wrote: »
    Christmas range has the candied or chocolate covered almonds back. I love them, so yummy!

Told the wife about them. She is now calling me lots of colourful names ... ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

AURIOL Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock €30

Thinking of getting one of these. Anyone recommend this or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I eventually found the Pastel de nata or Portuguese custard tarts, whatever people like to call them. They were on offer at 3 for €2 which is cheaper than my local Centra which is 3 for €2.50.
    Unfortunately they were awful. I've sadly eaten enough of these to know a good one from a bad one and these were about the worst I've ever had.
    The pastry was to thick and the custard had no flavour, no nutmeg either I'd say. They weren't just bad pastel de natas, they were horrible cakes full stop.
    I ate one, my son another and the 3rd one went into the bin.
    Back to Centra for them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

.red. wrote: »
    I eventually found the Pastel de nata or Portuguese custard tarts, whatever people like to call them. They were on offer at 3 for €2 which is cheaper than my local Centra which is 3 for €2.50.
    Unfortunately they were awful. I've sadly eaten enough of these to know a good one from a bad one and these were about the worst I've ever had.
    The pastry was to thick and the custard had no flavour, no nutmeg either I'd say. They weren't just bad pastel de natas, they were horrible cakes full stop.
    I ate one, my son another and the 3rd one went into the bin.
    Back to Centra for them in future.

I was looking for them yesterday, couldn't find them. Are they on the bakery shelves or the shelf in the aisle where they keep the cinnamon and sweet buns?

I was looking for them yesterday, couldn't find them. Are they on the bakery shelves or the shelf in the aisle where they keep the cinnamon and sweet buns?

They were on a shelf next to the cookies. They were also on a stand in the middle of the isle tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The southern fried chicken wrap is really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

fin12 wrote: »

I prefer the chicken caeser one myself, havent tried the other flavour.

.red. wrote: »
    They were on a shelf next to the cookies. They were also on a stand in the middle of the isle tho.

Found them, thought were nice. Helps that it's all Portuguese working in my local store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

fin12 wrote: »

It's nice, but needs more salsa in it, bit dry otherwise.

The cajun chicken double decker sandwich, now that's yum - and got a lovely hefty bit of spice to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone else find the Lidl Brioche rolls really really below par?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone else find the Lidl Brioche rolls really really below par?
    Are they in the bakery? I cant eat anything from that bakery anymore, its repulsive. It all tastes weird like its been frozen for years. Prices have crept up aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Thargor wrote: »
    Are they in the bakery? I cant eat anything from that bakery anymore, its repulsive. It all tastes weird like its been frozen for years. Prices have crept up aswell.

It suddenly got sooo disappointing. The Pastel de Natas are alright, so are the rolls with melted Gouda on top. But the sweet things are all really vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

My local Lidl (Ballinacurra Limerick) opened a completely new store last month and demolished the old one. Since the new one opened they don't have have of the same bakery stuff anymore and the stuff they still have has changed completely. I used to love their berry scones (closest thing to homemade I've ever found) and now they're horrible. About half the size and like any other generic bakery scones :(

My local Lidl (Ballinacurra Limerick) opened a completely new store last month and demolished the old one. Since the new one opened they don't have have of the same bakery stuff anymore and the stuff they still have has changed completely. I used to love their berry scones (closest thing to homemade I've ever found) and now they're horrible. About half the size and like any other generic bakery scones :(
    That's obviously a supplier issue, no Lidl stores produce anything fresh in their bakeries. Everything is brought in frozen, then defrosted and baked.
    They also use central distribution where everything is delivered to a warehouse, then picked and put on pallets and delivered from there to the store. Very little is delivered to the store by the supplier.
    That way all stores should have the exact same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LIDL offering 3 x1.5kg chickens for E9

Got the three and gave my neighbour the ferryman one as he had kindly collected a prescription for me... excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Stollen Bites are back, and I'm just after finishing my first pack for this year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The own-brand fruit pastilles (45c for about 200g, green bag, brand is Sugarland I think) are very good quality - the fruit flavours are rich and the jelly texture is v. nice.
    The child in me also appreciates that each one is shaped like the fruit it is flavoured with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The Protein Bread Rolls Are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why have Lidl got rid of the dental floss they had (in an orange roll pack). It was thick and ideal for my teeth! I always bought it in there...
    Replaced by plastic flosser sticks which I hate. Also really wasteful of more plastic in times when we are trying to reduce such pointless waste

Cheese and Onion rolls have been discontinued, untold heartbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

The new smoked cheese ones are a good alternative.

They also sell the cheese and onions in Tesco.

I was equally heartbroken initially!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

road_high wrote: »
    Why have Lidl got rid of the dental floss they had (in an orange roll pack). It was thick and ideal for my teeth! I always bought it in there...
    Replaced by plastic flosser sticks which I hate. Also really wasteful of more plastic in times when we are trying to reduce such pointless waste

I love the sticks, much better for flossing and much cheaper than branded alternatives. You get several uses out of one, although I do agree with you re plastic waste, however, they are mostly rubber with just a small plastic bit so not 100% plastic at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dentists seem to be recommending denta sticks now over floss, Im told the bristles are better at cleaning plaque off than a string of floss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Are the frozen lobsters in Lidl a good option for something like lobster bisque or lobster ravioli?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Has anyone seen or bought the crab claws for 2.99 please?
    How many are in it and how do they taste

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ellejay wrote: »
    Has anyone seen or bought the crab claws for 2.99 please?
    How many are in it and how do they taste

Yes bought them, they were quiet small, goes by weight but about 8/10 in a pack. Use by date as 21st December :eek: vac packed I guess.

Taste good, great with a steak

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are the frozen lobsters in Lidl a good option for something like lobster bisque or lobster ravioli?

Got them before and we’re good, small, but good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes bought them, they were quiet small, goes by weight but about 8/10 in a pack. Use by date as 21st December :eek: vac packed I guess.

Taste good, great with a steak

Thanks for that, they're 7.99 un supervalue a small enough pack, I must check the weight next time I'm there.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Dentists seem to be recommending denta sticks now over floss, Im told the bristles are better at cleaning plaque off than a string of floss

dentastix_original_large.tmb-400max.png

Would the dog food taste not stink your breath up though?

Advertisement