Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Dónal wrote: »
    dentastix_original_large.tmb-400max.png

Would the dog food taste not stink your breath up though?

They also sell mouthwash ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ellejay wrote: »
    Thanks for that, they're 7.99 un supervalue a small enough pack, I must check the weight next time I'm there.

Definitely better value on those Lidl ones

The weight on the Lidl ones is just 80g

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Are the frozen lobsters in Lidl a good option for something like lobster bisque or lobster ravioli?

I wouldnt be a lobster expert but I think the frozen ones Lidl do are already cooked. So Id imagine using one for a lobster bisque might not turn out great as the bones have already been steamed and will have lost flavour in the process. You could certainly do it but Im guessing the stock you make from the bones for the bisque would not be as flavoursome as it would be if you were using a fresh uncooked lobster. You could boost the flavour by adding a fish stock cube if using cooked lobster.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

B0jangles wrote: »
    The own-brand fruit pastilles (45c for about 200g, green bag, brand is Sugarland I think) are very good quality - the fruit flavours are rich and the jelly texture is v. nice.
    The child in me also appreciates that each one is shaped like the fruit it is flavoured with :P
    I'd forgotten about these, and now can't put the bloody packet down.

A plague on all your houses :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

You're v. welcome!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

The wine gums are good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

The Freeway Cola Zero is very good 10/10, it's new - black can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone know if the jars of the curry are any good from Lidl (the ones with a separate plastic tub of spices)?

The ones Aldi do used to be great, but I have found them to be muck recently, which is a real shame, they used to be deadly, and were an excellent emergency dinner, used to always make sure I.had a few jars in the press just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

The own-brand fruit pastilles (45c for about 200g, green bag, brand is Sugarland I think) are very good quality - the fruit flavours are rich and the jelly texture is v. nice.
    The child in me also appreciates that each one is shaped like the fruit it is flavoured with :P

I got these on Fri but they must have been old stock.
    I didn't think they were great.
    No fruity taste, weren't shaped like fruit and too much sugar dusted on them.
    I was robbed!!!

On a plus, the cherry flavoured jellies really tasted like cherry!

I was robbed!!!

That's weird alright - did the package look like this?

https://www.lidl.ie/catalog3media/ie/article/211686/gallery/zoom/211686.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

I was robbed!!!

Are you sure you weren't in Aldi? Aldi do cherry jellies but I didn't think Lidl did. Might be the reason you didn't like the fruit pastilles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

MB05 wrote: »
    Are you sure you weren't in Aldi? Aldi do cherry jellies but I didn't think Lidl did. Might be the reason you didn't like the fruit pastilles!

yes, that's it exactly, I bought in Aldi :rolleyes::eek:
    grrrrr!!!
    ah well at least you know not to chance them in Aldi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Anyone know if the jars of the curry are any good from Lidl (the ones with a separate plastic tub of spices)?

The ones Aldi do used to be great, but I have found them to be muck recently, which is a real shame, they used to be deadly, and were an excellent emergency dinner, used to always make sure I.had a few jars in the press just in case.

Ive used them occasionally but find them a bit hit and miss - I used the ALDI ones ages ago and thought they were better - sorry to hear they are gone downhill.

yes, that's it exactly, I bought in Aldi :rolleyes::eek:
    grrrrr!!!
    ah well at least you know not to chance them in Aldi!

Oh yeah, the aldi ones really aren't nearly as nice - very ordinary in both taste and shape :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh wow the beer battered onion rings in the black bag in the freezer are absolute perfection, just like what you get in a gourmet burger place, Ive gone through a bag in 2 days on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows can you buy creme de cassis in Lidl?

Or Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Have Lidl gotten rid of the red berry scones? No sign of them now. They were lovely. Also their pain au chocolat has gone seriously downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

fin12 wrote: »

Only when the French product range is in stock.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Only when the French product range is in stock.

Oh damn I think that only happened recently aswell. Thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Have Lidl gotten rid of the red berry scones? No sign of them now. They were lovely. Also their pain au chocolat has gone seriously downhill.

Sadly they seem to have. A lot of their bakery stuff has changed and not for the better :(

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »

Or Aldi?

It's in Aldi at the moment!

9.49 for 50ml bottle - in my branch it's on a separate little stand in the drinks aisle along with a few other christmas specials. :)

(they also have triple sec, which I am seriously considering getting for trifle-making)

https://www.aldi.ie/creme-de-cassis-cocktail-liqueur/p/064717249384800

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's venison day, huzzah!

*runs off to fill freezer*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's venison day, huzzah!

*runs off to fill freezer*

Have you had it before?

gozunda wrote:
    Have you had it before?

Yep, we stock up this time every year. Love it.

It's in Aldi at the moment!

9.49 for 50ml bottle - in my branch it's on a separate little stand in the drinks aisle along with a few other christmas specials. :)

(they also have triple sec, which I am seriously considering getting for trifle-making)

https://www.aldi.ie/creme-de-cassis-cocktail-liqueur/p/064717249384800

Hey thanks I got a bottle tonight in Lidl from there own deluxe range.

5209099_23.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Oooh, where abouts was it? In with the fancier rotating wines, or among the normal stuff?

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Oooh, where abouts was it? In with the fancier rotating wines, or among the normal stuff?

Go past ,the wines and down near the beers. They had all these there aswell tonight.

0020-2.jpg

There’s a very good deal at the moment on Smithicks if anyone is interested. Buy smithwicks blonde/pale/red ale, 5 for €11. All the other shops are 4 for €10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Cherry Brandy???? <<<<dashes off to LIDL....>>>>

Irelands licensing laws really annoy me at this time of year. I was in LIDL at 8.10am this morning, but no, not allowed buy booze at that time. So instead, Ive got to wait until the traffic is worse and the shop is busier.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I can't tell you how many times I've been caught out by the stupid Sunday times too. Doing a full week's shopping but god forbid you'd be able to buy a bottle of wine with it.

It's such utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The time it really came home to me was when I was buying the ingredients for a stew but couldn't purchase the beer!

I've also heard of people being refused non alcoholic beer because the till reads it as beer.

Advertisement