Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I generally only notice at christmas time because I make an effort to get into the shops early so as to miss the crowds.

Last year I ended up in a 3 hour round trip from Firhouse to Rathfarnham because I couldnt buy the specific booze I wanted in Tesco at 8am (it was tesco finest sloe gin) and had to wait til 10am at which point the traffic and crowds were crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The time it really came home to me was when I was buying the ingredients for a stew but couldn't purchase the beer!

I've also heard of people being refused non alcoholic beer because the till reads it as beer.

Yep saw that happen in Dunne's once; they said it does have a tiny amount of alcohol?
    There were three men lined up waiting for the magic hour.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Graces7 wrote: »
    There were three men lined up waiting for the magic hour.. ;)

That was wise of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

....... wrote: »
    Cherry Brandy???? <<<<dashes off to LIDL....>>>>

Irelands licensing laws really annoy me at this time of year. I was in LIDL at 8.10am this morning, but no, not allowed buy booze at that time. So instead, Ive got to wait until the traffic is worse and the shop is busier.

Been caught with that before when doing a Christmas Eve purchase. Thought I'd be in and out by about 8:05; ended up with most of what I wanted...

I walked back some hours later to buy the small amount of alcohol products as I wasn't going to bring the car out in that traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yep saw that happen in Dunne's once; they said it does have a tiny amount of alcohol?
    )

While this is often true, anything .05% or under is legally classed as alcohol free and should not be subject to alcohol restrictions.
    Supermarkets tend to enter them into their system as beer so the till automatically refuses them out of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The 9:30pm rule is crap aswell, can’t buy alcohol after that time at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh wow the beer battered onion rings in the black bag in the freezer are absolute perfection, just like what you get in a gourmet burger place, Ive gone through a bag in 2 days on my own.

Just had a few as a snack. They really are very good best frozen onion rings I've had. The aldi ones are very poor in comparison. Are they a special or regular product?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ryath wrote: »
    Just had a few as a snack. They really are very good best frozen onion rings I've had. The aldi ones are very poor in comparison. Are they a special or regular product?
    Can these be oven baked, or are they deep-fry only?

I LOVE onion rings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

fin12 wrote: »
    The 9:30pm rule is crap aswell, can’t buy alcohol after that time at night.
    Really? I'm pretty sure I have in Santry and/or Gullivers. Which branch?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I LOVE onion rings!!

Oven or deep fry. I did them in my new air fryer which I'm loving! 10 minutes from turning on air fryer vs 15-18 plus preheating time in the oven.

Did a few of the calamari and potato wedges next that were in the Spanish specials a while back too. They only took 7 minutes!

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »

It's 10pm got caught out before buying a few bottles of beer with shopping at closing when some were scanned before 10 and then last 2 wouldn't scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

jd wrote: »

I went into a centra one night and was told can’t serve u, it’s after 9:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That'd be either staff not knowing the law or a very odd store policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I LOVE onion rings!!
    Im doing mine in the Airfryer so probably fine out of the oven, they seem to have been practically 100% cooked when frozen, they really are amazing, that ring of sliced onion in a beer batter case that you get from takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Cherry brandy? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Im doing mine in the Airfryer so probably fine out of the oven, they seem to have been practically 100% cooked when frozen, they really are amazing, that ring of sliced onion in a beer batter case that you get from takeaways.

I have to try those, I hate the chopped up onion cheapo onion rings but love proper chipper ones!

The Connell Bakery bagels get a thumbs up from me too, lovely toasted, with lashings of (real) butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Eh, maybe silly question - do these taste like beer?

I feckin hate beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have never tasted beer battered anything that actually tasted like beer. It tends to be more for the bubbles, it makes for a lighter batter.

I love onions but onion rings do absolutely nothing for me, I have to say.

Yeah beer batter is the classic crispy golden batter you get on fish/battered sausages etc, no beer taste at all, although the classic recipe does tell you to use beer when making it.

Has anyone seen the venison yet? It was due in on Thursday but I've been to three Lidls since and haven't seen it. Asked in my own one earlier and yer woman didn't even know what I was referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the venison yet? It was due in on Thursday but I've been to three Lidls since and haven't seen it. Asked in my own one earlier and yer woman didn't even know what I was referring to.

No, couldn't find any. Very disappointed. Hope it still turns up. We all love venison.

I think I saw some in Aldi the other day, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

If you go onto the shooting forum, ask if anyone in your area could give you some.
    I Kindly got some lovely rabbit last year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I spotted Venison Pate on Sunday but no venison, I'm afraid.

ellejay wrote:
    If you go onto the shooting forum, ask if anyone in your area could give you some. I Kindly got some lovely rabbit last year.

A rake of my uncles and cousins shoot but they said nearly everyone sells their deer on as it's such a big job to dress it.

That's where the vast majority of the venison in Irish supermarkets comes from (via a processor, obvs!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Almost certain I saw it in Ballyfermot yesterday.

Thought that Specially Selected garlic mayo in the glass jar was going to be perfect on chips but ugh no, something not right there, weird chemical taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thanks for the onion rings recommendation.

Nicest shop-bought ones I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Favorina soft nugget - 2 for €1.50 an absolute steal, the tropical fruit one is Amazing, few different varieties, got them along the checkouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems to be a new load of bin end wines on sale for €5, at least in D3. They had little red €5 labels around the neck of the bottles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement