Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Had the beer battered onion rings mentioned earlier yesterday, while they were good, coming them was a bit of an ordeal.

Ok, fair enough you just stick them in the oven, but mine decided to almost weld themselves to the baking tray while cooking.

I got slightly distracted at the time (rugby was on) so perhaps I was a minute or two late in trying to turn them over, but they were stuck good , with a lovely black ring left around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Had the beer battered onion rings mentioned earlier yesterday, while they were good, coming them was a bit of an ordeal

I don't even wanna know what you were trying to do to the onion rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Had the beer battered onion rings mentioned earlier yesterday, while they were good, coming them was a bit of an ordeal.

Ok, fair enough you just stick them in the oven, but mine decided to almost weld themselves to the baking tray while cooking.

I got slightly distracted at the time (rugby was on) so perhaps I was a minute or two late in trying to turn them over, but they were stuck good , with a lovely black ring left around them.
    Get yourself an airfryer, they can get a bit slimy in the oven, airfryer makes them lovely and crispy in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thargor wrote: »
    Get yourself an airfryer, they can get a bit slimy in the oven, airfryer makes them lovely and crispy in 10 minutes.

8 minutes in the XL I found (suppose it depends how many you're cooking).
    Definitely line the base of the airfryer with tin foil for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Having mistakenly bought the Aldi ones first and being mighty disappointed, I finally got to try these. As onion rings go they're ok, far better than Aldi. But to liken them to chipper ones ?? No way.
    If these are better than your local chipper, you need to find a new one. 7/10 at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Having mistakenly bought the Aldi ones first and being mighty disappointed, I finally got to try these. As onion rings go they're ok, far better than Aldi. But to liken them to chipper ones ?? No way.
    If these are better than your local chipper, you need to find a new one. 7/10 at a push.

I'm not sure if anyone likened then to chipper ones.
    Best shop bought ones I've had, was my verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Crisp them up in an airfryer and they are like the battered ones in a chip shop though, not the onion mush like in normal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

UsedToWait wrote:
    I'm not sure if anyone likened then to chipper ones. Best shop bought ones I've had, was my verdict.

Gourmet burger/chipper...... Same, same.

Deffo better than the usual onion flavoured mush you normally get, but I really like chipper onion rings so still 7/10 from me. When I was a nipper there was a chipper in Cabra (back in the 70's) that did their onion rings as a solid slice of onion no hole à la a donut. Jebus, I can still taste them, delish !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

When I was a nipper there was a chipper in Cabra (back in the 70's) that did their onion rings as a solid slice of onion no hole à la a donut. Jebus, I can still taste them, delish !!!

Samy's chipper in Leixlip do their onion rings like that, unreal they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

My local Lidl has been out of the fresh pesto for a few weeks now, the label is still on the shelf in the fridge but hidden behind another label (yes, I'm sure I'm getting looks in Lidl) - anyone else seen it in theirs? I know Aldi have a similar one so that's my next port of call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The millionaires dessert is divine. At 2.50, its enough for 3 or 4 portions.
    Perfect thing to start the New Years diet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Gourmet burger/chipper...... Same, same.

Deffo better than the usual onion flavoured mush you normally get, but I really like chipper onion rings so still 7/10 from me. When I was a nipper there was a chipper in Cabra (back in the 70's) that did their onion rings as a solid slice of onion no hole à la a donut. Jebus, I can still taste them, delish !!!

Ever try the blooming onion in an Outback Steak House in the US?

bloomin-onion-trans.png

They use a device like the ones for making chips to "bloom" the onion then deep fry it and serve it with a dip of your choice.

Am a an azing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

My local Lidl has been out of the fresh pesto for a few weeks now, the label is still on the shelf in the fridge but hidden behind another label (yes, I'm sure I'm getting looks in Lidl) - anyone else seen it in theirs? I know Aldi have a similar one so that's my next port of call.

Ugh - driving me mad. Gone in mine too. Why do they do this!! It was a total staple of my weekly shop - 2 dinners now that taste rank without fresh pesto.

I tried with the glass jar pesto but its muck by comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Our local Aldi moved the fresh pesto down to the mixed salads/falafel/coleslaw section near the vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I found it in Aldi during the week alright, but it's not as nice as the Lidl one was, a bit blander and the texture is kind of gloopy...better than the stuff in a jar by miles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Has anyone been able to get the authentic greek 0% fat yogurt lately (500g pot for 1.69)? Haven't seen it in a few weeks - just the greek style tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Bought it by mistake in Nutgrove 3 days ago.... I prefer the full fat/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Garlinge wrote: »
    Bought it by mistake in Nutgrove 3 days ago.... I prefer the full fat/

I prefer the full fat too but my waistline doesn't unfortunately! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

....... wrote: »
    Ugh - driving me mad. Gone in mine too. Why do they do this!! It was a total staple of my weekly shop - 2 dinners now that taste rank without fresh pesto.

I tried with the glass jar pesto but its muck by comparison.

I asked about this at the weekend and was told that they had found salmonella in a batch and had recalled all of it and were reviewing the production process so its likely to be gone for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m reading the lidl brochure and seen there is Heinz sweet chili sauce? Has anyone tried the Heinz version? Just wondering if it’s nice?

It’s American week next week!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The beef prime rib roast on the bone is top top quality. €13 for 1kg joint, feeds 4.
    That's the price in Supervalu, Tesco on special offer, when they even have it in.

Mary Berry recipe here if you need it...
    https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/food/448259/Mary-Berry-s-Festive-Feasts-Roast-Prime-Rib-Of-Beef-and-Classic-Mince-Pies

And this weekend, if you're an early bird, the Grand Cru St Emilion bordeaux red wine is half price at €7.50 a bottle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I bought the goose Pierogi & had them the other evening. They were very nice indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I bought the goose Pierogi & had them the other evening. They were very nice indeed!

Yes, they were really good. We had the goose and cherry ones. Just had butter and lemon zest with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I bastardized them & treated them like pelmeny. I had them in chicken broth with chilli & scallions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The viola nespresso pods( purple) seem to have discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

My local Lidl have 4 packs of Nut bars reduced to 88 cent from 1.69 (choc chip & peanut, white choc and almond and raisin and nut).

They're very good, and if you're still on a new years resolution like myself, they're a good substitute for a little treat as they have very little sugar, mainly protein and fat from the nuts.

I got a pack of glensallagh streaky bacon with chilli to wrap a chicken in. Cooked up 2 today for a sandwich and I don't think I'll be wasting them on the chicken.
    Absolutely delicious. Not much hint of chilli but there was a strong flavour of something, just can't figure what it is. I'll have to eat more tomorrow to investigate.

I got a pack of glensallagh streaky bacon with chilli to wrap a chicken in. Cooked up 2 today for a sandwich and I don't think I'll be wasting them on the chicken.
    Absolutely delicious. Not much hint of chilli but there was a strong flavour of something, just can't figure what it is. I'll have to eat more tomorrow to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

.red. wrote: »

These sound fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Chocolate ice cream is amazing. I was thinking it was a bit expensive for lidl at almost €3, but that's for a litre. Ben and Jerry's is only 500ml and almost €7.

Advertisement