Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

.red. wrote: »
    I got a pack of glensallagh streaky bacon with chilli to wrap a chicken in. Cooked up 2 today for a sandwich and I don't think I'll be wasting them on the chicken.
    Absolutely delicious. Not much hint of chilli but there was a strong flavour of something, just can't figure what it is. I'll have to eat more tomorrow to investigate.

You're spot on about these.

Had 2 on a turkey burger last night, and 2 on a roll for breakfast this am, and they're absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Vegan offers there this week. The Sheeze cheese is one of the better ones I've tasted, I'll be interested to see how it melts. The non-dairy peanut ice is also nice, if a bit odd. I have no idea what the pizza or soy pots are like yet, but hopefully they'll be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Theyve started doing small packs of flavoured roasted nuts.

Alesto is the brand, they have a few flavours, Spicy Sriracha Crunch is one.

They are being marketed as high in fibre and as a protein punch - but they taste so good that they CANT be good for you.

Ive actually had to ban myself buying them because I was eating way too many of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

....... wrote: »
    Theyve started doing small packs of flavoured roasted nuts.

Alesto is the brand, they have a few flavours, Spicy Sriracha Crunch is one.

They are being marketed as high in fibre and as a protein punch - but they taste so good that they CANT be good for you.

Ive actually had to ban myself buying them because I was eating way too many of them!

Bought some at the checkout last time. There's some amount of ingredients for a few nuts, definitely wouldn't be the healthiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Bought some at the checkout last time. There's some amount of ingredients for a few nuts, definitely wouldn't be the healthiest.

Its all flavouring. The actual nutritional info is fine in terms of calories/fats etc - bit high in salt but nearly everything in LIDL has disgracefully high salt - doesnt bother me too much as I dont add salt to other food and dont eat much super salty LIDL food.

But actually for me its just the taste - I KNOW they have to be bad - nothing that tastes so good could be good!! My husband looked at the packaging, pronounced them not too bad nutritionally - then tasted one, handed me back the back and said "oh they have to be really bad!!".

Mind you - as a treat once a week or so they are probably fine and maybe better than a packet of crisps in terms of nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

New perfume range out in Lidl, I bought two bottles of the Essenes en Rose. Really nice perfume, smells pretty similar to Lancome La Vie en Belle, wouldn’t last as long as the brand perfumes but Very good for a fiver.

https://evoke.ie/2017/03/02/style/beauty-buzz/lidls-new-perfume-collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

fin12 wrote: »
    New perfume range out in Lidl, I bought two bottles of the Essenes en Rose. Really nice perfume, smells pretty similar to Lancome La Vie en Belle, wouldn’t last as long as the brand perfumes but Very good for a fiver.

Aura de esplendor is like j'adore and aura de aguamarina reminds me of eau d'issey. They aren't as long lasting as the originals but unlike a lot of smellalikes, they don't get weird or nasty smelling after a few hours.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

But how does it taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

But how does it taste?

This is a Lidl recommendations thread, not specific to food so there is no need to be like that.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Aura de esplendor is like j'adore and aura de aguamarina reminds me of eau d'issey. They aren't as long lasting as the originals but unlike a lot of smellalikes, they don't get weird or nasty smelling after a few hours.

I like buying perfumes like this for wearing for work and then wear the brand ones when going out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I like buying perfumes like this for wearing for work and then wear the brand ones when going out.

Same here! Always nice to have some low-cost but nice options for everyday and some fancier ones for whenever you feel like it :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

MB05 wrote: »
    This is a Lidl recommendations thread, not specific to food so there is no need to be like that.

Oh boohoo! This is the food forum, was just cracking a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's a Lidl recommendation thread, within a food forum. It is certainly arguable that it is specific to food. I think you are the one being arsey over a humorous remark!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hey everyone, it's Friday, deep breath and relaxxxxxxx

PS the Fruit Tubes (like frubes) €1.69 get the thumbs up, 9 pack

It's a Lidl recommendation thread, within a food forum. It is certainly arguable that it is specific to food. I think you are the one being arsey over a humorous remark!

It's in a food forum because it's a supermarket recommendation thread, they sell other things too but if you were to classify it's core business it's food. Doesn't mean their other products can't be discussed.

I personally don't think the attempt of humour hit the mark, you did and that's okay. It's the whole point of forums like this. People can make their own mind up. I felt the comment was snide so I wanted fin12 to know that others found merit in their post even if Cornelius Crow didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's in a food forum because it's a supermarket recommendation thread, they sell other things too but if you were to classify it's core business it's food. Doesn't mean their other products can't be discussed.

I personally don't think the attempt of humour hit the mark, you did and that's okay. It's the whole point of forums like this. People can make their own mind up. I felt the comment was snide so I wanted fin12 to know that others found merit in their post even if Cornelius Crow didn't.

Foooood forum.

You are a lot of fun.

Foooood forum.

You are a lot of fun.

Well as jokes go it was pretty lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

OK people, let’s move on please.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

0lddog wrote: »

This recall is for England only.

For Irish recalls check fsa website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Sri Lankan chicken soup is quite nice.
    A bit sweet. I added extra chilli flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Am broadly a fan of LIDL wines, but was disappointed with this Italian red Salice Salentino Rosso, think it was €6.99.
    6-x-0-75-l-flasche-weinpaket-salice-salentino-dop-rotwein.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The onion rings in the black bag that were recommened earlier in the thread- has anyone seen them lately? I've been in two different Lidls and couldn't find them in the freezers, are they usually beside the chips cos I couldnt see them there on either occasion

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The onion rings in the black bag that were recommened earlier in the thread- has anyone seen them lately? I've been in two different Lidls and couldn't find them in the freezers, are they usually beside the chips cos I couldnt see them there on either occasion

I think they might have just been a special in the run up to Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think they might have just been a special in the run up to Xmas.

Some company must make them though? They were too good to be a one off product...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thargor wrote: »
    Some company must make them though? They were too good to be a one off product...

I actually found nicer ones (not in Lidl), but not sure how widely they are being distributed yet..
    Mash Direct is the brand, and they're fresh, rather than frozen.
    Lovely :)

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-sides-mash-direct-beer-battered-onion-rings-200-grams-/p-1626225000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

UsedToWait wrote:
    I actually found nicer ones (not in Lidl), but not sure how widely they are being distributed yet.. Mash Direct is the brand, and they're fresh, rather than frozen. Lovely

Centra have them as well, part of the same group afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The Sri Lankin Chicken soup is hands down the best supermarket soup you'll find and it's only €1.79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

The Sri Lankin Chicken soup is hands down the best supermarket soup you'll find and it's only €1.79

Is this in the chilled food section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Is this in the chilled food section?

Yes

Advertisement