Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Their amazonian 60% dark chocolate is gorgeous and the orange and almond one two. It's a pity they don't come in individual bars, just one big slab.....means you end up breaking off one piece, then another piece, then another...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

In the current range of Austrian foods, they have a big bag of hard, butterscotch-like sweets with a gooey centre that are very tasty and only 1.99 for a huge 400g bag.

xuNKytz.jpg

The name is... a little unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

leahyl wrote: »
    Their amazonian 60% dark chocolate is gorgeous and the orange and almond one two. It's a pity they don't come in individual bars, just one big slab.....means you end up breaking off one piece, then another piece, then another...:o

I really like the 81% one - wish they would do an even higher % though like 85 or 88.

Gutted that the dark chocolate almond bars have not made a re-appearance for Alpen fest this week :-( they were fab

Spotted new Glensallagh low fat pork sausages (120 cals per 100g) today - has anyone tried them?

The plain Quark in the black tub is really nice and now reduced to 99 cent a pot permanently I think - seems to be the same as the grahams dairy one judging by the nutritional content.

I see the easter range is in (sorry if too soon!:o) Really disappointed they have no dark eggs this year - last year they had these fab single origin 73% ones. They were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It looks like the full Easter range isn't in yet though. I was looking at it today & it's not near as big as other years so they're probably putting out the best selling bits & bobs that people might pick up & eat now.
    Like me....I bought two white lambs today :D

• Advertisement

Yes you're right, it is very small so hopefully there is more to come. Do they not realise some of us want to eat easter chocolate for a good 6 weeks of the year :D:D

With the growth in veganism I would have thought they would do something - ALDI have 2 dark eggs this year (well, an egg and a cocoa pod (??? not sure what they were thinking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The onion rings in the black bag that were recommened earlier in the thread- has anyone seen them lately? I've been in two different Lidls and couldn't find them in the freezers, are they usually beside the chips cos I couldnt see them there on either occasion

Was looking for them myself.

Had these from Iceland tonight they pretty similar and nice. Think the batter may have been a bit thicker but still had a big thick onion ring in it.
    https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-beer-battered-onion-rings-475g/p/64537

9044557463582.jpg?buildNumber=QLICE-QBG-JOB1-103

Hadn't been in an Iceland for years last time I think was about 15 years ago on Talbot Street. Definitely much better than they used to be. Got a few frozen veg mixes and cauliflower rices that will be handy in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ryath wrote:
    Got a few frozen veg mixes and cauliflower rices that will be handy in an emergency.

Pretty sure I saw cauliflower rice in either Lidl or Aldi the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ryath wrote: »
    Was looking for them myself.

Had these from Iceland tonight they pretty similar and nice. Think the batter may have been a bit thicker but still had a big thick onion ring in it.
    https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-beer-battered-onion-rings-475g/p/64537

9044557463582.jpg?buildNumber=QLICE-QBG-JOB1-103

Hadn't been in an Iceland for years last time I think was about 15 years ago on Talbot Street. Definitely much better than they used to be. Got a few frozen veg mixes and cauliflower rices that will be handy in an emergency.

Cheers, must seek them out. Iceland has definitely improved a bit in the last few years-I love their 8 mini chocolate eclairs, bargain for 1.49. That said they do still have some muck too which would remind you of the 90's, I bought their frozen lamb doner kebab meat last year and it was absolute rank, tasted of 50% fat and it nearly made me sick before it went in the bin. Others recommend their burgers and ready meals but I've never tried as they're out of my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Just on the off chance that someone with a bit of sway in LIDL reads this - please please provide better lunch type healthy options like ALDI does.

Got a lentil, green bean and pesto salad in ALDI for lunch yesterday followed by a vegan brazilian black bean stew in a pot and they were both absolutely delicious, healthy and very very filling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

....... wrote: »
    Just on the off chance that someone with a bit of sway in LIDL reads this - please please provide better lunch type healthy options like ALDI does.

Got a lentil, green bean and pesto salad in ALDI for lunch yesterday followed by a vegan brazilian black bean stew in a pot and they were both absolutely delicious, healthy and very very filling.

I agree ! Aldi has way better healthy options

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

We have been buying the Kilderg Maple Syrup for a few years now. We cracked open a new bottle of it last night and it is very different - thicker, darker and a sweeter, stronger taste. Anyone else notice this?

Not a fan at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Lidl have Kellys Athlantic Black and White pudding in stock next week. It contains seaweed.

CBCB wrote: »
    I agree ! Aldi has way better healthy options

The worst part of this is that LIDL opens at 8am and ALDI opens at 9am, so whenever I buy lunch on the way into work I end up with the unhealthier option because ALDI isnt open yet.

On that note - what does constitute a healthy lunch from LIDL?

I usually go with a snack pot of nuts (pistachios) or a snack pot of mixed seeds, a turkey sandwich and a yoghurt.

I did try the prawn and chorizo thing that you heat up but its FULL of salt. I have also tried the various salads but most of them have way too much mayo in them, the exception being the chicken and mango salad or the morroccan style salad - but I stopped buying them after a few times where the veg was very sour and tasted bad - it might just be a seasonal thing.

They have very occasionally done the little trays of sushi which are great, but they only do them now and again.

Anyone else try anything else healthy-ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I have also tried the various salads but most of them have way too much mayo in them, the exception being the chicken and mango salad or the morroccan style salad - but I stopped buying them after a few times where the veg was very sour and tasted bad - it might just be a seasonal thing.

I found the same with the salads and they went off very very quickly. I'm a stickler for use by dates and have often ended up throwing the stuff out long before it, I'd buy it the day before for my lunch to find a use by at the end of the week and think its ok.
    Only for it to have turned slimy and sour by the next day despite being stored in a fully functioning fridge. Not to mention that most of them had over 600 calories in them.

Wouldn't trust them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The worst part of this is that LIDL opens at 8am and ALDI opens at 9am, so whenever I buy lunch on the way into work I end up with the unhealthier option because ALDI isnt open yet.

On that note - what does constitute a healthy lunch from LIDL?

I usually go with a snack pot of nuts (pistachios) or a snack pot of mixed seeds, a turkey sandwich and a yoghurt.

I did try the prawn and chorizo thing that you heat up but its FULL of salt. I have also tried the various salads but most of them have way too much mayo in them, the exception being the chicken and mango salad or the morroccan style salad - but I stopped buying them after a few times where the veg was very sour and tasted bad - it might just be a seasonal thing.

They have very occasionally done the little trays of sushi which are great, but they only do them now and again.

Anyone else try anything else healthy-ish?

You could always just make a healthy lunch for yourself the night before? You'll save cash, you can make it as healthy as you want and you wouldn't have to stop off in the morning either!

You could always just make a healthy lunch for yourself the night before? You'll save cash, you can make it as healthy as you want and you wouldn't have to stop off in the morning either!

I do some days - other days (when Im low on raw materials at home but not due to do the shopping til the weekend) I prefer to pop in and check out the specials and buy lunch while Im there.

Although in the context of the stuff I posted about - its costs way more to prepare salads from scratch yourself compared to buying a single portion salad bowl in LIDL and there is a lot of waste unless you want to eat salads every day.

For most single portion options its far far cheaper to buy them than try to make them yourself. Unless you want to eat the same thing every day - which I dont (although my husband does and he batch makes lunches but Id hang myself if I was eating what he eats daily, so bland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

" its costs way more to prepare salads from scratch yourself compared to buying a single portion salad bowl " - so untrue.

So the favorina dark chocolate bunnies (60%) are pretty nice. Lent hasn't started yet, right? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I do some days - other days (when Im low on raw materials at home but not due to do the shopping til the weekend) I prefer to pop in and check out the specials and buy lunch while Im there.

Although in the context of the stuff I posted about - its costs way more to prepare salads from scratch yourself compared to buying a single portion salad bowl in LIDL and there is a lot of waste unless you want to eat salads every day.

For most single portion options its far far cheaper to buy them than try to make them yourself. Unless you want to eat the same thing every day - which I dont (although my husband does and he batch makes lunches but Id hang myself if I was eating what he eats daily, so bland).

Totally untrue. That's just an excuse for laziness. I prepare my own lunches from scratch. If you're happy scoffing down fake turkey sandwiches of bleached white bread, that's your business. Don't try and claim its cheaper thought. ITS NOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Totally untrue. That's just an excuse for laziness. I prepare my own lunches from scratch. If you're happy scoffing down fake turkey sandwiches of bleached white bread, that's your business. Don't try and claim its cheaper thought. ITS NOT.

Jesus calm down.

If I'm short on lunch supplies I often grab some
    Eggs and a pack of ham. Scrambled eggs in the
    Microwave are a saviour when I'm caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

OK people, let’s keep it to Lidl recommendations please.

LOL - clearly you have not seen the turkey sandwiches I am referring to.

They are not (a) fake turkey (b) white bread and (c) I dont tend to scoff my food, I just eat it normally.

But carry on with your rubbish.

" its costs way more to prepare salads from scratch yourself compared to buying a single portion salad bowl " - so untrue.

Can you back this assertion?

How are you able to buy the contents of a single salad bowl individually and with no waste that is cheaper than buying it ready made?

I do often make my own salads but to buy the makings of them I end up with enough to make several salads - and if I am the only one eating them that means a lot of waste as I dont want to eat the same thing every day and they dont have a shelf life longer than more than a few days.

Please detail here how it is possible to prepare a single portion salad more cheaply than buying it ready made? I believe the ones I referred to earlier cost 1.99 each. So how do I make a salad for myself at a cost of < 1.99. From LIDL - seeing as we are in the LIDL recommendation thread.

I await your recommendations with bated breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can you back this assertion?

How are you able to buy the contents of a single salad bowl individually and with no waste that is cheaper than buying it ready made?

I do often make my own salads but to buy the makings of them I end up with enough to make several salads - and if I am the only one eating them that means a lot of waste as I dont want to eat the same thing every day and they dont have a shelf life longer than more than a few days.

Please detail here how it is possible to prepare a single portion salad more cheaply than buying it ready made? I believe the ones I referred to earlier cost 1.99 each. So how do I make a salad for myself at a cost of < 1.99. From LIDL - seeing as we are in the LIDL recommendation thread.

I await your recommendations with bated breath.

Buy ingredients, make multiple salads. Better value than buying 1 for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ok, that’s really the end of that discussion people. No more talk of salad pricing differentials please. This thread is about Lidl recommendations.

The 70% ecuador egg is back! Got this last year and it was unreal. Single origin and beautiful.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=17411

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The 70% ecuador egg is back! Got this last year and it was unreal. Single origin and beautiful.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=17411

Mmmm might pick one up for myself this year, am on the look out for a dark chocolate egg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The onion rings in the black bag that were recommened earlier in the thread- has anyone seen them lately? I've been in two different Lidls and couldn't find them in the freezers, are they usually beside the chips cos I couldnt see them there on either occasion

I am just back from Lidl on the Malahide Road and they were on sale today. I think they must be back in for Easter as they had loads of other special desserts and deluxe type foods that people buy for special occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

They've got these little chocolate coated marshmallow teacake thingeys in for the last few weeks and they are terribly addictive, especially if you're a Tunnock's teacakes fiend like I am :p

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=17123

The marshmallow is lovely and soft not nasty and spongy like it is in a lot of cakes like this. The chocolate's not great, and it's a wafer not a biscuit base but you DO get an awful lot of them for your 1.99

Advertisement