Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

B0jangles wrote: »
    They've got these little chocolate coated marshmallow teacake thingeys in for the last few weeks and they are terribly addictive, especially if you're a Tunnock's teacakes fiend like I am :p

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=17123

The marshmallow is lovely and soft not nasty and spongy like it is in a lot of cakes like this. The chocolate's not great, and it's a wafer not a biscuit base but you DO get an awful lot of them for your 1.99

I really wish I didn't read that..... I adore Tunnocks teacakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh wow the beer battered onion rings in the black bag in the freezer are absolute perfection, just like what you get in a gourmet burger place, Ive gone through a bag in 2 days on my own.

If I’m not mistaken these are back

Edit - yes they are back from 25.03 to 22.04 €1.79 375g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

ellejay wrote: »
    I really wish I didn't read that..... I adore Tunnocks teacakes.

They are only about 32 kcals each, which is practically zero, so even if you eat about 10 of them, it's still hardly anything because 10 times zero is zero.

That's my logic and I am sticking to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »
    If I’m not mistaken these are back

Edit - yes they are back from 25.03 to 22.04 €1.79 375g

In fact fact ! the new magazine says they are in store from Mon next 1st April

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Had the Hereford beef burgers from the 3 for €9 meat deal, in a brioche bun, washed down with some of the XXL Perlenbacher Pils I still had 'in stock'.
    Lovely, although the brioche buns were a little large for the burgers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Had the Hereford beef burgers from the 3 for €9 meat deal, in a brioche bun, washed down with some of the XXL Perlenbacher Pils I still had 'in stock'.
    Lovely, although the brioche buns were a little large for the burgers.
    what weight are the burgers? most fresh mince burgers are far too thick for my liking, makes them easier to flip I suppose, but if I ever have to use them I squash them out much thinner as they will always shrink and do not fill the bun. I would want 4oz min in the tesco/lidl/aldi size brioche buns, 5-6 is fine but I like 2x2.5oz best. The aldi are by FAR the best of those 3 IMO, and they have a far longer (unopened) shelf life, the sesame aldi ones are just amazing.

I absolutely hate burgers that do not fill the bun.

20120625-burger-lab-lamb-burger-18.jpg

Drives me mad that those supersize burger buns became popular as I don't think I have ever seen somebody make burger that fits them (I have and it has to be stupidly wide when raw). In tesco they are so cheap that people get them over regular ones. A trick I do is to make an extra wide burger, split it in 2 and stack them,and then put it in half one of those buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Tried one of the deluxe mini ice creams earlier...the banana and caramel one. I think I'm hooked!

rubadub wrote: »
    what weight are the burgers? most fresh mince burgers are far too thick for my liking, makes them easier to flip I suppose, but if I ever have to use them I squash them out much thinner as they will always shrink and do not fill the bun. I would want 4oz min in the tesco/lidl/aldi size brioche buns, 5-6 is fine but I like 2x2.5oz best. The aldi are by FAR the best of those 3 IMO, and they have a far longer (unopened) shelf life, the sesame aldi ones are just amazing.

They were 454g for 4 burgers so approx 4 oz, it was more the shape of them.
    Will have to think about squashing them next time to fill the bun.

Details here:
    https://www.lidl-flyer.com/8f43246a-4b3e-11e9-8733-005056ab0fb6/locale/en-IE/view/overview/page/30

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Tried one of the deluxe mini ice creams earlier...the banana and caramel one. I think I'm hooked!

Didnt't like this at all myself.

What I would recommend:
    The salted rice crackers that they have near their other crackers. Small, round and flat, so not like the normal rice cakes, not sure what brand. They are addictive.
    The sweet potato fries are delicious and nicer than the Aldi ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Space Dog wrote: »
    Didnt't like this at all myself.

What I would recommend:
    The salted rice crackers that they have near their other crackers. Small, round and flat, so not like the normal rice cakes, not sure what brand. They are addictive.
    The sweet potato fries are delicious and nicer than the Aldi ones.
    Those rice crackers were around years ago, I think they were Boland's brand - haven't seen them in ages and was delighted to see them again, they're completely addictive though! The sweet chilli ones are nice as well, but not as nice as the salted ones dipped in sweet chilli sauce!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Those rice crackers were around years ago, I think they were Boland's brand - haven't seen them in ages and was delighted to see them again, they're completely addictive though! The sweet chilli ones are nice as well, but not as nice as the salted ones dipped in sweet chilli sauce!

I think it's these, I got rid of the packaging:

22710200_1477116645707430_2964138436287528960_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com&se=8&ig_cache_key=MTYzMTc5NTQwOTg4MDA3NDk4NQ%3D%3D.2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

22710200_1477116645707430_2964138436287528960_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com&se=8&ig_cache_key=MTYzMTc5NTQwOTg4MDA3NDk4NQ%3D%3D.2
    I’ve never seen them before, I’ll have to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's them, packaging is exactly the same except for the brand name.

Damn, I'd love some now......

Got this 2day in Lidl. Really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

fin12 wrote: »

Be warned - the chilli ones are suppppper addictive!

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Be warned - the chilli ones are suppppper addictive!

I only bought the salted ones but haven’t tried them yet. I’ll buy the chili ones next time I’m there.

I’m addicted to the salt n vinegar pop chips....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Mediterranean style salad is really nice. Feta cheese, olives, sun-dried tomatoes and crouton type things. Very tasty and comes with a fork if you're having it on the go. Moroccan and Caesar variants available as well.

The non alcoholic perlenbacher IPA 99c/ 330ml is excellent also (and I generally don't like NA beers). I hope they keep stocking it.

The new frozen tempura prawns (limited edition) are delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

fin12 wrote: »

Tried the lightly salted ones today, they're delicious. Just over 100 calories per quarter pack too, I'm terrible for biscuits and pastries so have been trying to go for less calorific snacks on my latest health kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Finally got the Deluxe beer battered onion rings that came back. Pretty decent for a frozen product, will buy again if they're still there

• Advertisement

The quark snacks that are part of the eastern European foods range for this week are gorgeous - they are basically a log of mildly lemony cheesecake encased in decent chocolate, which is pretty much my dream sweet :P

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=17987

Since it's quark, its also reasonably wholesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Couldn't find the quark snacks in my LIDL :(

They have new corn and rice snacks like snack-a-jacks in salt & vinegar and sour cream and onion. Could not really tell them apart from snack a jacks (the salt and vinegar anyway) but they were actually pretty expensive imo 49 cent for a small bag and no multipacks from what I could see.

Couldn't find the quark snacks in my LIDL :(

I only found them once in three attempts so I think either they didn't get much stock in or they were bought out really quickly. I got a fairly similar product in Polonez and it's more expensive and not as nice, so I'd say they were bought up by people who already knew it was a very good deal :)

Didn't see it advertised in leaflet but in my local LIDL, the Beef Rib Roast on the bone was on offer at €10 usually it is €13. Really nice cut of beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whats the story with this
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/super-savers.htm?articleId=18192

Friend went up and they said the price is 14 euro or something

Now going by that ad on their own site you would naturally assume its 7.19 for an half leg, I mean you can get a whole leg for 18-20 euro sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Got one of the €8 cooked lobsters but haven’t had it yet as don’t have a pot big enough to fit it in!!
    Has anyone had this and was it nice?? It certainly doesn’t look like a lobster from the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

fritzelly wrote: »
    Whats the story with this
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/super-savers.htm?articleId=18192

Friend went up and they said the price is 14 euro or something

Now going by that ad on their own site you would naturally assume its 7.19 for an half leg, I mean you can get a whole leg for 18-20 euro sometimes.

It's price per kilo obviously.

Naturally you can buy whole leg for 18-20, but half leg never was half of the price of whole leg ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

wonski wrote: »
    It's price per kilo obviously.

Naturally you can buy whole leg for 18-20, but half leg never was half of the price of whole leg ;)

Except it's not obvious at all.
    Mainly because the ad doesn't say that.
    What it does say is €7.19, 1.2 - 1.5 kg.
    If it's priced per kilo, it should state that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It's an error.

When you zoom in the picture you will see they are priced per kilo.

You can always try to argue in store if you really want it for 7 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In the brochure it says upto 5.99 per kilo so....since been told several people had the same experience

Advertisement