Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This is more of an anti-recommendation I suppose - I spotted some new dips in the chilled section, marked as vegatable dips I think but the one I picked up was Edamame and Ginger. It was incredibly runny (not useful as a dip) and has a VERY strong horseradish taste. It was way too strong for me so OH ate some of it and the rest is languishing in the fridge and headed for the bin. They also had a beetroot and mint one but if it is the same consistency as this one, I'll be avoiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MB05 wrote: »
    There were a couple of bags left in the Coolock branch on Wednesday. I think it might just be what was left from Easter rather than just being low on stock.

Was in Lidl Rathfarnham earlier and they had no beer battered onion rings and I havent seen them in about two weeks :mad: So Id say what you saw in Coolock was end of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone try the peanut and caramel Ice cream bars? They are two euros, just wondering would they be as nice as snickers ice cream bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone try the peanut and caramel Ice cream bars? They are two euros, just wondering would they be as nice as snickers ice cream bars?

yep and they are delish. would definitely recommend.

Haven't had a snickers one in a while but enjoyed the lidl ones, pack didn't last long.

Yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

It's Sol Mar time....but I can't find the Churro's - anyone seen them? They are really quite nice deep fried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Saw them 2 days ago in the freezer of my "local" Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lidl have ginger, lime & chilli marinated chicken breasts in at the moment and they're really tasty. Not free range, unfortunately, but great for an emergency salad or something if you've nothing in for the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

The Coolock branch had the bags of churros a couple of days ago but they seemed to be all gone this evening. They had chocolate filled ones in a small box too which were still available today.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I'm looking for the plain Churro's that you need to deep fry. Tried a second Lidl store (Limerick) and none in there either. Guess it's time to make my own. It's like deep fried donut pastry....real stodge. Don't want the chocoalate filled ones...just plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Found a good few bags of the plain churros in celbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Had the frozen rainbow trout.

Yuk! Horrible boney things with eyes looking up at ya and tasteless.

Should have gone for the fresh ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Had the frozen rainbow trout.

Yuk! Horrible boney things with eyes looking up at ya and tasteless.

Should have gone for the fresh ones.

It was sold as a whole fish with its head on, not a fillet, what were you expecting? And I found it very tasty with some herbs and seasoning and cut properly. Plus got the head to make some nice stock for risotto later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It was sold as a whole fish with its head on, not a fillet, what were you expecting? And I found it very tasty with some herbs and seasoning and cut properly. Plus got the head to make some nice stock for risotto later.

Good point.

I put all the unwanted to the bin :(
    Should have kept for stock.
    I was a bit drunk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

For people who like Ale, I picked this up in lidl yesterday, think it’s really nice. €2 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think someone asked a while ago about the potato and bacon salad - all I can say is, don't!

Picked one up yesterday while starving (always a mistake when shopping) and tried it today - it was like someone had poured half a bottle of vinegar into it. Mushy, textureless potatoes and a rotten, sour taste.

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Don't bother with the pulled pork or beef burnt ends if you come across them. Bought one there and couldn't get over how small the portion was in relation to the size of the box. They're nice and all but you'll be left hungry - it also says 'serves 2' on it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Don't bother with the pulled pork or beef burnt ends if you come across them. Bought one there and couldn't get over how small the portion was in relation to the size of the box. They're nice and all but you'll be left hungry - it also says 'serves 2' on it :pac:
    All those black boxes are the same, I bought the Chicken Supreme one a while ago, 2 breasts in the pack and it claimed to serve 2, the pieces were not much bigger than a single chicken gougon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They're nice and all but you'll be left hungry - it also says 'serves 2' on it :pac:
    I just check the weights now. Some pulled pork thing I got was only fit for one, but I knew it in advance.

If there is a meal thing, or if there is lots of sauce they will usually give the % of meat too.

e.g. in this tesco chicken dinner
    Pack Quantity
    400g e

Ingredients
    INGREDIENTS: Chicken (24%), Potato, Water, Peas (11%), Baby Carrots (11%), Sage and Onion Stuffing Ball [Water, Wheat Flour, Onion, Oats, Salt, Rapeseed Oil, Sage, Parsley, Yeast], Cornflour, Sunflower Oil, Butter (Milk), Yeast Extract, Wheat Flour, Sugar, Salt, Flavouring, Chicken Fat, Caramelised Sugar, Chicken Extract, Sage, Thyme, White Pepper.

so the chicken will be only 96g

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

The Gelatelli vegan coconut ice cream is decidedly meh and has a strange texture. It doesn't really thaw even if you leave it out of the freezer for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bring The Pain hot sauce is back in stock. Not the most flavoursome of sauces, but great for a heat boost to a dish. At 99c a bottle - you can't go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The cajun chicken burgers are top quality. Along with those Hickory/kansas steaks. Pity they're not there all year round!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Bring The Pain hot sauce is back in stock.

This gives me hope the Inferno pizzas might also be coming back 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

With so much fresh fish available here, I would normally never go for frozen fish, but due to various reasons - we picked up the 2 Rainbow Trout 3.99 pack yesterday. Did not read the instructions (it says to fully defrost before cooking) and bunged it into the oven, and I must say, it wasn't bad, would still have fresh over frozen, but for 3.99 its more than enough for 2 and due to it being cooked from frozen was just a tiny bit dry, better than expectation (but beware - has a lot of bones in it tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The frozen patatas bravas have definitely gone to useless

Bought a few bags every time they came out; but at some stage last year what I got was three bags of halved baby potatoes; not patatas bravas. Complained to customer care and was told it was a packing error and got a refund posted out

Bought some more without looking at the photo on the bag - they're halved baby potatoes again; and this time the picture matches them. They are not patatas bravas in any sense of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Space Dog wrote:
    The Gelatelli vegan coconut ice cream is decidedly meh and has a strange texture. It doesn't really thaw even if you leave it out of the freezer for 10 minutes.

Try the coconut yoghurt...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Space Dog wrote:

Try the coconut yoghurt...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

the Häagen-Dazs is for a brilliant price for a few weeks now. We loved the (new) Mango and Raspberry and off course the Belgian Chocolate, it started as 2.49, but the very next week went up to 2.99, still a very good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Debub wrote: »
      the Häagen-Dazs is for a brilliant price for a few weeks now. We loved the (new) Mango and Raspberry and off course the Belgian Chocolate, it started as 2.49, but the very next week went up to 2.99, still a very good price.

I always get their Dulce de Leche when it's available in Lidl.

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

No vanilla this time around though : ( have to with 4 euro deal in Tesco.

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Saw that they have the (HD) Salted Caramel (but no stock) in now as well, ready to pounce as soon as it comes in - loads of Magnum tho in my Lidl (same price as HD) and HD Belgium Choc/Coffee/DulcheduLeche/MangoRaspberry
      Also tried the 8 year old Margot Scotch (blended), it did win an award as well I think. For 18.99 its a pretty decent drink, not a mouthful of flavour, but very easy to drink, smooth - no water needed, can be a regular scotch to keep in the house for using in between the Single Malts :-)

Advertisement