Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

They gots their German food in! We feasted on Spaetzle baked in a cheese sauce last night. Himself has gone to work with leberkaese sammidges. Highly recommend the Alpenzeller cheese and both big and baby bratwurst.

Now all of you read this post out load with emphasis on the German words. Yell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The patatas Bravas were lovely with Heinze Ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

They gots their German food in! We feasted on Spaetzle baked in a cheese sauce last night. Himself has gone to work with leberkaese sammidges. Highly recommend the Alpenzeller cheese and both big and baby bratwurst.

Just checked their webiste - Spaetzle and Schupfnudeln. I'll be down there straight after work!

Edit: And Gruener Veltliner! I'll need to stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Cornichons ?
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hold tight, Miss F, they are now in stock in the Cavan Lidl. Bought a jar yesterday. :D
    You have made my actual week, Nekarsulm :D:D PICKLES!!!

Are they nicer than the gherkins? Nearly twice the price!

I miss their Stilton cheese wedges and their Woodgate cider before they ruined it and made it taste like Bulmers. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just had some of the little bratwurst there for lunch with a little dab of dijon mustard - very tasty indeed, definitely would recommend.

(These guys: http://www.lidl.ie/en/7157.htm?action=showDetail&id=45059 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

All they had left yesterday were the cheeses and some of the meats. I got Austrian Cheddar and rosemary crackers to compliment it. Hopefully it will be nice. The selection of cheeses weren't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just hoovered down the curry bockwurst. Not bad for a microwave job!
    Stocked up on Spaetzle too!
    Anyone got good recipies to use it with?
    I'd a lovely creamy, cheese dish with it before in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Stocked up on Spaetzle too!
    Anyone got good recipies to use it with?
    I'd a lovely creamy, cheese dish with it before in Germany

Kaesspaetzle - couldn't be simpler.
    Slice an onion and fry in butter until it's nicely brown and a little crisp.
    Grate a generous amount of alpine cheese - Gruyere, Allgaeuer, Appenzeller, whichever you can get. I would not recommend cheddar for this, you need that strong Swiss/Austrian taste.
    Boil the Spaetzle as per instructions.

In an overproof dish, layer spaetzle, onion and cheese, then repeat until you've all the spaetzle used up. Finish with a bit of cheese, pop in the oven until the cheese on top is browned.

Serve with salad and pickles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

whiskeyman wrote: »

very nice indeed, also got some of the Thuringen Brat, them smaller Brats and some Leberkaese for next weeks lunches

I may be back in tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Stocked up on Belgian beers, bierwurst, currywurst, some nice tulip glasses and a Silvercrest Facial Cleansing brush for Mrs Reputable in Lidl Ballincollig. €38 for the lot, although I only actually went in to buy Cashew Nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Stocked up on Belgian beers, bierwurst, currywurst, some nice tulip glasses and a Silvercrest Facial Cleansing brush for Mrs Reputable in Lidl Ballincollig. €38 for the lot, although I only actually went in to buy Cashew Nuts.

and you didn't get the cashew nuts? :D

Vegetable burgers were very nice, recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

and you didn't get the cashew nuts? :D
    Their cashew nuts are very good, the packs, I have not tried the loose ones.

The cheapest ones are the small ring pull tin of them, most would guess the big pack is cheapest. I put them in a jam jar once the tin is opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

rubadub wrote: »

The cheapest ones are the small ring pull tin of them, most would guess the big pack is cheapest. I put them in a jam jar once the tin is opened.

Ya the tin is the best normally but there's an xxl bag out at the moment and I think it's €2.50 so it's better value than the tin but the xxl bags are only available a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

rubadub wrote: »

Would never touch those loose nuts they have after I saw a snotty nosed kid with their hands in them one like they were playing in sand on the beach. Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sammysnail016

In order of preference what would be your top ten Lidl buys (food)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In order of preference what would be your top ten Lidl buys (food)

Why don't you get to ball rolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

1 large tub of greek yogurt
    2 potato gratin in vacuum bag (long life)
    3 Fish chowder
    4 Gluten free beer when on special
    5 Formil wash powders

Sorry bit of a struggle to make list of 10 tho would pick plenty other bits n bobs on a visit. The above would be things I would go there especially for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sammysnail016

Oh I must try the potato gratin ~ are they tasty? I am always looking at different things to do for dinner, the imagination is dead sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I've got the duck breasts in the fridge for dinner later. Had them for the first time a couple of weeks ago and they were very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

1. Watermelon (better than Tesco or Aldi)
    2. Duck breasts
    3. Streaks on special (t bone)
    4. Deluxe or whatever it is called ham
    5. Nuts
    6. Wine
    7. Little chocolates with different percentage of cocoa
    8. Snack size ice cream lollies
    9. Big jar of anchovies when they have them
    10. Balsamic vinegar (the small bottle)

Anyone try the nutty brioche bread and butter pudding that won the competition? I've been meaning to try it some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone try the nutty brioche bread and butter pudding that won the competition? I've been meaning to try it some time.
    I tried it recently.

Super-sickly-sweet stodge :eek:

Now having said that, I don't have a massive sweet tooth, and am not a fan of bread'n'butter pudding to start with..... so what prompted me to buy it in the first place I have no idea. Maybe I was shopping while hungry. And I'm a massive fan of nuts in general.

But even allowing for that, it was awful.

Oh that's disappointing! I would imagine it's not the best for the waistline either.

Anyone try the ostrich steaks in their freezer section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Wasn't a fan either. And I have a massive sweet tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

2 slices of bread.... Which on its own is pleasing enough.
    However, too few raisins/sultanas & the caramel is just nuts.

Portions are small, but just as well as it is diabetic with the caramel

I'd love a good bread & butter pud on its own without the caramel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Oh that's disappointing! I would imagine it's not the best for the waistline either.

I considered picking it up once but changed my mind when I saw the calories per serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Here's a question - what's the difference between "natural yoghurt" and "Greek style natural yoghurt"? :confused:

I was/am a fan of Lidl's four-pot packs of natural yoghurt - used to be Eridanous, but the brand now seems to have changed. Tastes exactly the same though - thick, creamy and delicious poured over fresh fruit!

But the Eridanous one was just called natural yoghurt, this new one is now Greek style.... is that just fancy nomenclature, or is there actually any difference???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I generally get vegetables in Lidl - great quality, plenty of organic, nice mix - and nuts more usually in Aldi, where they're cheaper and as good quality, and they have pecans which Lidl don't.
    Lidl's bread is stratospherically better than Aldi's.
    Used to get peanut butter in either, but both (and all supermarkets) have now changed their jars to nasty little plastic ones, so I now get the great peanut butter in the Hopsack in the Swan Centre in Rathmines and it lasts a couple of weeks.
    Lidl steaks are excellent, but so are Aldi's; Lidl's small chickens are great quality. For a while Lidl had a free range chicken that was even better, but they must have changed suppliers or something because it seems to be the same quality as the non-free-range now.
    @HeidiHeidi Greek (or 'Greek-style' yogurt is thicker. Lidl do an Irish natural yogurt that is deliciously sour; if you prefer thick yogurt with your berries or for cooking, then get the Greek-style one; the Eridanous one didn't work when I used it for cooking a dish I sometimes make with fried potatoes and onions, thickened with yogurt and spiced with turmeric, mustard seeds and chopped chillies. Normally the yogurt makes a creamy mass around the spuds; the Eridanous one just clumped.

Advertisement