Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Chuchote wrote: »
    @HeidiHeidi Greek (or 'Greek-style' yogurt is thicker. Lidl do an Irish natural yogurt that is deliciously sour; if you prefer thick yogurt with your berries or for cooking, then get the Greek-style one; the Eridanous one didn't work when I used it for cooking a dish I sometimes make with fried potatoes and onions, thickened with yogurt and spiced with turmeric, mustard seeds and chopped chillies. Normally the yogurt makes a creamy mass around the spuds; the Eridanous one just clumped.
    Do you know the brand/name of this? I looked all over the other day, and the only plain natural yoghurt I could see was the Greek one. It was lovely, but I'd prefer a slacker yoghurt tbh.

(If you fancy giving the recipe for your spuds dish, which sounds gorgeous, that'd be a bonus :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Do you know the brand/name of this? I looked all over the other day, and the only plain natural yoghurt I could see was the Greek one. It was lovely, but I'd prefer a slacker yoghurt tbh.

(If you fancy giving the recipe for your spuds dish, which sounds gorgeous, that'd be a bonus :D)

Probably the Milbona at 0.49, they also do a fruit one at 0.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's a whole milk natural yoghurt in small green cartons, organic and Irish and very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I think it's the whole milk one in the green carton. Can't remember the name, and don't have it in the fridge at the mo.

The recipe for the potato dish: boil or steam (I steam - deliciouser) some potatoes, preferably floury ones like Queens or Golden Wonders. When they're almost ready, take them out and chop them into biggish chunks.
    Meanwhile, heat up your oil of choice - olive, sunflower, rapeseed - and when it's hot scatter in about a dessertspoonful of mustard seeds. Cook until they start going bang. Add your chopped onion and turn down, cook until transparent. Add your potatoes and mix the onions through, cook until golden. Add a teaspoon of turmeric and a scatter of chopped fresh or dried chillies, and a grind of black pepper and a sprinkle of good sea salt. Mix it through. Add about a cup of yogurt - more if needed - and let it bubble through and coat the potatoes. Serve when delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's a question - what's the difference between "natural yoghurt" and "Greek style natural yoghurt"? :confused:
    "Natural yoghurt" is just that, plain old ordinary yoghurt. "Greek style" means it's been strained to remove the whey, which makes it thicker and creamier.

Now, I'm sure all the producers here play by the rules, but the "waste" whey is acidic, and some unscrupulous producers in Greece and other countries have been caught dumping it into the drains or local rivers which has caused some considerable damage to the aquatic environment, killing fish on a massive scale.

See here https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/dec/08/greek-yogurt-acid-whey-protein-drinks-baby-formula-environmental-dark-side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Thumbs up to the Austrian Cheddar. Very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Oh I must try the potato gratin ~ are they tasty? I am always looking at different things to do for dinner, the imagination is dead sometimes!

Tried it, not as good as the Aldi one, bit too garlicky and more expensive - the aldi one is €1.79.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Just had the BBQ ribs from lidl again tonight. Even better than I remembered

By the way, I think that potato dish is from Mahdur Jaffrey's book, the first one or one of the first, published when she was living in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Christmas has hit my local Lidl - is it just me, or is it a bit later this year than last?

Anyway, they've got the marzipan stollen bites back. Get them, and get many. They're delicious. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Shenshen wrote: »
    Christmas has hit my local Lidl - is it just me, or is it a bit later this year than last?

Anyway, they've got the marzipan stollen bites back. Get them, and get many. They're delicious. :D
    They were playing Christmas music in CEX in Galway this afternoon, couldn't believe it.

Tut, Christmassyness outside the Christmas season was always considered to be unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

*runs off to ram raid Lidl and steal all the stollen*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

French week again this week. 750ml French Cider, Pale French Ale and a couple of new Abbey style ones which I have to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Ah crap..........there goes my diet!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just stumbled across the 'Taste of Ireland' winner of Nutty Brioche and Butter Pudding in the chilled section near the hams.
    http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2015/1027/737817-taste-of-ireland-winner-announced/
    I can't remember watching it, but tried it last night... OMG, it's amazing!!
    €2.70 (I think?) for a real restaurant quality dessert.
    Serves 2? or Serves 1 very greedy and happy Whiskeyman! :pac:
    Comes with a lovely caramel sauce and cooks lovely in 10mins in the oven.

I haven't seen the first winners product since though? Ribs with cider sauce I think?
    It was good, but just not high on the repeat purchase list I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭cobham

They had to rebrand the 'Greek Yogurt' as Greekstyle as it was not actually from Greece. Just started a new tub and it seems less thick and more acidic than usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭cobham

The one I am recommending is the vacuum pack in cardboard outer box not a foil tray of fresh produce. It comes in a collection of three varieties ( I think baby potatoes with herbs and other one is onion?) so have to root about to find the gratin one in a blue outer box. I find it handy to keep in fridge for month or so and can quickly supplement a meal if extra mouths to feed. I have also used it as a topping for a cottage pie. I am sure it is very calorific as generous creaminess with hint of cheese - no garlic tho you could add a bit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Oh I must try the potato gratin ~ are they tasty? I am always looking at different things to do for dinner, the imagination is dead sometimes!

The deluxe one with broccoli is delish

And somebody mentioned the duck breasts? They are epic.
    Crisp up the skin and then lob them in the oven for a taste sensation. They require NOTHING added.
    I usually serve with an asparagus and mushroom risotto and a large glass of white wine :D

The deluxe one with broccoli is delish

And somebody mentioned the duck breasts? They are epic.
    Crisp up the skin and then lob them in the oven for a taste sensation. They require NOTHING added.
    I usually serve with an asparagus and mushroom risotto and a large glass of white wine :D

Oooh, risotto recipe, please? I make a seafood one as one of the standard nothing-in-the-cupboard fallbacks, it would be nice to have a few more.

I got the duck breasts but was astonished by the size of the tiny sliver of meat and the sea of fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Oooh, risotto recipe, please? I make a seafood one as one of the standard nothing-in-the-cupboard fallbacks, it would be nice to have a few more.

I got the duck breasts but was astonished by the size of the tiny sliver of meat and the sea of fat.

Here Prawn and Asparagus Risotto

Get raw prawns though.

Thanks!

Yep there is a LOT of fat!
    How did you cook them? I always find they are a decent size. I get the garlic and herb marinated ones and stick them skin side down on a hot griddle to get the skin crisped up and then cook in the oven on a tray where all the fat can drip off.

I am terrible for following recipes so generally what I do for a risotto is brown whatever veg i am using in a big pot in some olive oil with some leeks and garlic and then add the rice when softed and slightly browned. I add a glug of white wine and then some nice veg stock gradually and stir. Recently used Potts vegetable stock which is gorgeous!
    Measurements are very vague I am afraid!

Yep there is a LOT of fat!
    How did you cook them? I always find they are a decent size. I get the garlic and herb marinated ones and stick them skin side down on a hot griddle to get the skin crisped up and then cook in the oven on a tray where all the fat can drip off.

I am terrible for following recipes so generally what I do for a risotto is brown whatever veg i am using in a big pot in some olive oil with some leeks and garlic and then add the rice when softed and slightly browned. I add a glug of white wine and then some nice veg stock gradually and stir. Recently used Potts vegetable stock which is gorgeous!
    Measurements are very vague I am afraid!

I cook the duck breasts on a gridded pan, pouring off whatever fat liquefies, then separate the skin, fat and meat, and serve the skin and meat.

My risotto: fry up garlic, courgettes, shallots, a pepper, arborio or carnaroli rice, while heating some stock, either vegetable or chicken, and soaking some dried mushrooms in hot water and bubbling some frozen shellfish in butter. Then I start adding the hot stock and stirring it in gradually, throw in the mushrooms and their soaking water, pour in the liquor from the buttery shellfish, add a slosh of white wine or vermouth, and finally when it's ready add the shellfish, and serve with parmesan to be grated as desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Score the skin and cook duck breasts on a COLD pan, put the breasts in THEN turn on the heat, this gives time for the fat to come out of the skin, pour this fat off and when it solidifies reuse it for roast potatoes, lovely.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Score the skin and cook duck breasts on a COLD pan, put the breasts in THEN turn on the heat, this gives time for the fat to come out of the skin, pour this fat off and when it solidifies reuse it for roast potatoes, lovely.

You're right on the cold pan vicwatson! I recently found this out on a my kitchen rules marathon while suffering with a sinus infection! I always wondered why the skin wasn't getting dead crispy.
    I should definitely start keeping the fat too for roasties :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is not so much a recommendation as a warning - Alfredo Inferno pizza is amazingly hot, I mean unpleasantly so unless you have a palate forged in Mexico. Took about 20 mins before I could feel my tongue.

This is not so much a recommendation as a warning - Alfredo Inferno pizza is amazingly hot, I mean unpleasantly so unless you have a palate forged in Mexico. Took about 20 mins before I could feel my tongue.
    Haha I always get this and I love it. I like hot food though.

I tired the large Bratwurst and it was delicious so I got some more smaller ones but these have a sauce with them. I think they would taste nice in a roll with mustard or sauce like they serve in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

1: Deuluxe Seafood Chowder
    2: Low GI Cob
    3: Salted Cashew Nuts
    4: Goats Cheese Roll's
    5: Mozarella Balls
    6: Roasted Chick Peas (When in)
    7: Feta & Spinich Cheese Puffs
    8: Fresh Veg ( Great Selection)
    9: Lean Mince
    10: Sol Chorizo (Full Sausage)

Best non food items are the toiletries Cien showergel , 5 Blade shark razor ad blades , shaving foam and balm all a fraction of Lynx and Gilette and do the exact same job ... not mad on the deodorant though

Advertisement