Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    No, it was the same one I was looking at!

Packaging printing error I guess

Actually here is the one I was looking at -

taste1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I haven't got around to eating mine yet, but when buying it I noticed that it said on one bit of the packaging that it was mustard mash, but in another place it said cheese mash, and I'm sure whoever first recommended them here said cheese mash as well.

I'll give it the taste test before writing it off!

Yeah, that was me. It was a cheddar mash on the topping and it wasn't too strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just went to check, packaging was put into the stove! But I tasted no mustard. Will have to buy more tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I had one last night and it tasted different to the last one I had. Maybe if there's different mash, that would explain it! The one last night was definitely mustard mash and didn't seem as nice as the one I'd had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Had the brisket pie this evening for my dinner. Meh.

Maybe I wasn't hungry enough for it, but it was very, very rich and the meat was a bit stringy (I'm very leery about meat in things like this). However I ate it all, which tells its own story!

On the upside, there were some carrots and peas in it (you'd hardly notice them, the pic on the packaging is a tad misleading!) and the gravy was really lovely.

Mash was quite mustardy - if that's the only variety available then I won't be going for this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Had the pie twice now and I love it. Wish it was capable of being frozen as its great for a mid week dinner with veg for other half if I'm late home. Are there long dates on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm always disappointed by "these all one" pie pies, they really do need to be made by hand.

Another thing I love is the sherry trifle they have. It's got really nice custard and tastes homemade. I didn't get it this year though but might check if they have it this week. It's in a large container and is delicious.

amontilxmas_01_f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Irish cream liquer cheesecake is lovely aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Tiramisu is beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

fin12 wrote: »
    The Irish cream liquer cheesecake is lovely aswell.

And the fact it's Irish made is a plus too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Their Organic salmon and Deluxe organic porridge wafer flakes are really very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Their Organic salmon and Deluxe organic porridge wafer flakes are really very good.

I did not like the porridge at all, its not a patch on Aldi Kavanagh's organic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just in from shopping and LIDL have a new line; ready made sandwiches for E1.29... I have had them from dealz for E1.50 which is far less than eg tesco. LIDLs are on sturdy wholemeal bread and very tasty . I had the chicken and stuffing .

• Advertisement

LIDL also have a constant supply of litre packs of long life milk. I have and will rely ion this more and more as I cannot get out very often now, Last winter it was very hard to find...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just in from shopping and LIDL have a new line; ready made sandwiches for E1.29... I have had them from dealz for E1.50 which is far less than eg tesco. LIDLs are on sturdy wholemeal bread and very tasty . I had the chicken and stuffing .

Snap.

Just in from Lidl as well. The town was absolutely chokker, not hekped by a collision on the main road in.

The two of us snorked a chicken and stuffing sandwich in the car - very pleasant. Didn't even realise it was a new line.

Was delighted to pick a Stollen reduced to about a euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Plus

Lidl's "Low GI Multiseed Cob" €1.89, made a lovely companion to their Mackeral fillets for a quick, tasty tea. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

vicwatson wrote: »

taste1.png

The pie is meant to be a cheesy mustard mash. Should have chedder in the description on the back

I was curious to see if people liked it as much as i do... (Its my sister's recipe :pac: )
    And i know it doesn't say you CAN freeze it but i have it on very good authority it can be. I've done it also and survived. But don't risk it if ye don't want to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Very low level of mustard on the mash, in my opinion. More a colourant than any discernable test. Like them otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

They are beautiful. A real winner in this house. I knew when I looked at them that they would freeze well so I plan on stocking up. Lidl can be so hit and miss with things disappearing, never to be restocked so I really hope this doesn't go the same way.

If it sells well for the year they can decide to keep it stocked.
    So keep buying it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive overdosed on it now and gone completely off it, Ill go back to it next Winter.

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    If it sells well for the year they can decide to keep it stocked.
    So keep buying it :D

Is that your sister with the dark hair?

Yep it is :)

Yep it is :)

Tell her well done and we're all bigging up her pie on here :o

Haha will do. Im glad most of ye like it!

I must say it was quite surprising how much beef is in the shop one! Was thinking it was gonna be a bit measley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Had one last week and was disappointed with the paucity of vegetables. I only counted a few peas, and carrots were non-existent. Other than that, it was very tasty and very filling. Potato was very nice for a chilled product. Congrats to your sister for winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ what he said. Definitely more veg would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Had one last week and was disappointed with the paucity of vegetables. I only counted a few peas, and carrots were non-existent. Other than that, it was very tasty and very filling. Potato was very nice for a chilled product. Congrats to your sister for winning.

Paucity is a word we don't use enough Harry, thanks for reminding me of it!
    I picked up one of the Deluxe chocolate covered nut and fruit selections this evening, left over from Christmas. Goooorgeous. And the little (plastic) metallic scoop thing is cute too (I can state now with authority that I will never use the thing but it remains adorable!).
    Multi-seed roll from the bakery was lovely too.
    Mmmm carbs.

• Advertisement

Thats very true,
    Im guessing the company making it are trying to deliver on the beef more.
    id take less veg over less beef any day though!

Havnt been to lidl in a while..there isnt one where i am and its a good thing too because i love those mousse chocolate sticks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I picked up the macarons after Christmas when they were reduced to €2. Very decent for the price.

The Deluxe brandy butter in the glass jar is excellent as is the gluten-free White chocolate & cranberry cookies

Thats very true,
    Im guessing the company making it are trying to deliver on the beef more.
    id take less veg over less beef any day though!

Havnt been to lidl in a while..there isnt one where i am and its a good thing too because i love those mousse chocolate sticks!
    Another vote for more veg here! I found the pie quite rich/heavy. But I wasn't starving hungry.

And maybe I got a rogue one, but I found the mash quite sharp - would prefer it to be more cheesy and less mustardy.

Will definitely try another one on a hungrier day though, and see how I find it!

Well done to your sis.

And feck you anyway for reminding me of the mousse sticks :o

they don't seem to be very consistent so because my next door neighbour said his first one was very salty, next one was perfect.

haha sorry :D

9or10 wrote: »
    Snap.

Just in from Lidl as well. The town was absolutely chokker, not hekped by a collision on the main road in.

The two of us snorked a chicken and stuffing sandwich in the car - very pleasant. Didn't even realise it was a new line.

Was delighted to pick a Stollen reduced to about a euro.

Thay had a sign up to that effect. I had been in dealz intending to treat myself to a sandwich but they had not had the delivery yet so it was great to find the LIDL at a lower price too, Mine was chicken and stuffing too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

The first brisket pie I had was absolutely gorgeous. The second one was not and I'm not sure I'd purchase again as I binned most of it.

Had that Deluxe Chicken, Beechwood bacon and leek pie the other night, absolutely delicious

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The Deluxe tiramisu is quite nice, love the low gi muliseed loaf too but by far my favourite Lidl product is the paprika flavoured Cristina Croc crisps. They hardly ever seem to have them though, so when I see them, I buy two or three bags with the intention of keeping them but end up scoffing them all. They're addictive :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I try to grab the Italiamo four cheese sauce jars when they are in. The sauce is great for making carbonara, with either ham or the Lidl smoked salmon. As it is very thick it can be stretched with milk to go further.

Yum!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Thay had a sign up to that effect. I had been in dealz intending to treat myself to a sandwich but they had not had the delivery yet so it was great to find the LIDL at a lower price too, Mine was chicken and stuffing too!

Thats the first and last time anyone said they've been to Dealz to treat themself :D

:pac:

A week or two ago I saw some Deluxe cheese croquettes in the freezer in my local store.... thought they looked a bit tasty so got a couple of packs and bunged them in the freezer at home.

Took some out last night to cook - and discovered they're deep fat fry only :eek:

I literally cannot remember the last time I saw something that was dff only! Who even has deep fat fryers these days :confused:

(I bunged them in the oven for 20 mins, and although they were a bit anaemic looking, they were right tasty!)

Thats the first and last time anyone said they've been to Dealz to treat themself :D

:pac:

May be the first but I do it every week! One treat when I am in dealz... Got a bag of lovely lebcucken before Christmas.

The sandwiches are good and half the price of tesco... and LIDL now have beaten that!

When I knew where I was moving to , I checked and made sure there is ALDI and LIDL within easy reach, found a youtube of the drive to the nearest town and there they were! No dealz though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pork Schnitzel are in 2 pack for 3.00, I'll buy some just because I like the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The low GI multiseed cob bread is delicious.
    Soft on the inside with a crunchy crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Their Deluxe mature gouda is lovely, nutty and slightly sharp

• Advertisement

Space Dog wrote: »
    Their Deluxe mature gouda is lovely, nutty and slightly sharp

As is the Comte - nom nom nom!

Just done my pre-shopping online price checks and LIDL have organic butternut squash at 49 cents; organic oranges and potatoes ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if Lidl have stopped selling frozen scampi and the frozen half legs of lamb? Havent seen them the last couple of times Ive been in

Just done my pre-shopping online price checks and LIDL have organic butternut squash at 49 cents; organic oranges and potatoes ditto.

I love butternut squash. It's nice roasted and in soups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know if Lidl have stopped selling frozen scampi and the frozen half legs of lamb? Havent seen them the last couple of times Ive been in
    Ah what Lidl had Scampi all along? Was it nice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement