Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭tscul32

Patsy167 wrote: »
    The mini sweet chilli rice crackers are dangerously good.

With houmous......mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Toulouse wrote: »
    Got the ‘Nduja paste myself yesterday, really looking forward to trying it out!

By christ it's hot! I really enjoyed it on a cracker (is that what people normally eat it on?) but I needed a glass of milk afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

lassykk wrote: »
    By christ it's hot! I really enjoyed it on a cracker (is that what people normally eat it on?) but I needed a glass of milk afterwards

Literally only had it this evening! Tasted a little out of the jar and knew it would blow our heads off if used neat so I heated a few teaspoons with some passata, herbs and seasoning and stirred it through some cooked pasta. Quite tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Couldn't find it!

Grr

Literally only had it this evening! Tasted a little out of the jar and knew it would blow our heads off if used neat so I heated a few teaspoons with some passata, herbs and seasoning and stirred it through some cooked pasta. Quite tasty.

Perhaps that's what I should have done. I did enjoy it I must say so will try again. Our meals are all family friendly so I miss a bit of heat!

• Advertisement

Couldn't find it!

Grr

It's in the specials section as not a standard product I think. In my local lidl it's near the freezers in the furthest corner from the entrance to the shop.

More of an Aldi man myself and was only in for croquettes from the freezer which Aldi don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I put it on pizza myself fwiw! No wrong way to eat something delicious though :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It really is hot! I normally scoff at things labelled as spicy, but this has some kick alright.

I had some on toasted pita.

It has a very unusual 'funky' taste, which I think might come from the fermentation, or are there organ meats in there...?

I like the idea of using stuff like this (or chorizo) with simple, healthy things like wilted greens and beans.

I'm sure there are "better" versions available, but for the price (€3), I'll be stocking up.

https://www.seriouseats.com/nduja-guide

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Lidl are stocking lots of new juices and smoothies that are basically Innocent copies. I got a green juice with apple, pear, cucumber and lime and it's very nice, quite refreshing and not too sweet. The cucumber flavour really comes through, so it's probably no good for cucumber haters!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Space Dog wrote: »
    Lidl are stocking lots of new juices and smoothies that are basically Innocent copies. I got a green juice with apple, pear, cucumber and lime and it's very nice, quite refreshing and not too sweet. The cucumber flavour really comes through, so it's probably no good for cucumber haters!

Sounds gorgeous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Its not that i hate cucumber, its just that it makes me retch, so i try to avoid it! Thank you for the unintended heads up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Thanks for the tip-off on the WAY TO GO! CHOCOLATE picked up from this thread.

The Carmelised Almonds & Sea Salt; and Dark Chocolate Pecan Coconut are a hit.

https://www.lidl.ie/grocery-range/way-to-go-chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip-off on the WAY TO GO! CHOCOLATE picked up from this thread.

The Carmelised Almonds & Sea Salt; and Dark Chocolate Pecan Coconut are a hit.

https://www.lidl.ie/grocery-range/way-to-go-chocolate

Think I’ve said it before on this thread but I didn’t like the plain dark when normally dark would be my go to. However the Way to go Milk chocolate is fantastic and I normally don’t eat milk chocolate. I got it for my husband and then ate the whole bar :cry:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

The prosciutto ham is very nice. It also has the same wrapping as the dunnes and m&s (I think) prosciutto. Just a different cardboard sleeve. So assume it's all from the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Think I’ve said it before on this thread but I didn’t like the plain dark when normally dark would be my go to. However the Way to go Milk chocolate is fantastic and I normally don’t eat milk chocolate. I got it for my husband and then ate the whole bar :cry:

Yeah the 70% way to go dark is a bit flat, nothing special or particularly flavoursome about it, though decent chocolate and would be great for baking etc.

I prefer the single origin dark bars and the JD Gross 85% a lot more on the dark side of things.

Can't comment on the milk chocolate - I mean, who eats that! :eek::D:D

Yeah the 70% way to go dark is a bit flat, nothing special or particularly flavoursome about it, though decent chocolate and would be great for baking etc.

I prefer the single origin dark bars and the JD Gross 85% a lot more on the dark side of things.

Can't comment on the milk chocolate - I mean, who eats that! :eek::D:D

I agree about milk chocolate - but on the back of posts here, I got the salted caramel one this evening, looking forward to trying it!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I agree about milk chocolate - but on the back of posts here, I got the salted caramel one this evening, looking forward to trying it!
    Hmmmm.... It's kind of nice, but I can't taste the almonds at all, and it's milk chocolate.

Not for me.

Call me if they ever put those fillings/flavourings/whateveryoucallthem in proper dark choc!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Do Lidl do seeded bagels? My local store doesn't seem to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Esse85 wrote: »
    Do Lidl do seeded bagels? My local store doesn't seem to have them.

Yep, both sesame and poppy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

New German beers in. Steam Brew.

€2 for a can. 7.8/7.9 alc bv.

Not too bad actually. My tastebuds might be off from having an earlier beer, but not too bad.
    Great value, given the high alcohol content (if that's what you're after).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Technique

The cans of Perlenbacher wheat beer are very nice. Good value too at €2 a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    New German beers in. Steam Brew.

Not new, have been around since last year on and off, but seem to be constant now.
    Great value, given the high alcohol content (if that's what you're after).

They don't taste great. Not bad, but not great either.
    If it's just bang per buck yer after, Argus Strong :P

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Recliner

The Gellatelli premium ice cubes are brilliant quality for a very good price. 80c for a big bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,680 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was looking for grillable meats on Saturday and they had... very little, really. The previous years BBQ product push is just not happening this year despite even more people having good home setups

Got some chipotle marinaded minute steaks that ended up tasting of nothing and the texture of shoe leather - avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Recliner

Recliner wrote: »
    The Gellatelli premium ice cubes are brilliant quality for a very good price. 80c for a big bag.

We've changed our minds on these. We obviously got lucky on our first bag. Absolutely rubbish since then. A mix of tiny ice chips and lumps of ice that would have frightened the Titanic.
    Back to M&S for a smaller bag of premium ice at twice the price but at least we know the quality is consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

L1011 wrote: »
    Was looking for grillable meats on Saturday and they had... very little, really. The previous years BBQ product push is just not happening this year despite even more people having good home setups

Got some chipotle marinaded minute steaks that ended up tasting of nothing and the texture of shoe leather - avoid.

The "5 packs" of Chorizo sausages are back, I see.
    A favourite last year, and just as good still!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,680 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The BBQ marinade "sizzle steaks" I also got in the same "why is there nothing decent?" panic were similarly cack. Better than the minute steaks, but barely.

They're not even cheap - between the cost of the two I could have got two proper steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Recliner wrote: »
    We've changed our minds on these. We obviously got lucky on our first bag. Absolutely rubbish since then. A mix of tiny ice chips and lumps of ice that would have frightened the Titanic.
    Back to M&S for a smaller bag of premium ice at twice the price but at least we know the quality is consistent.

Yeah, the bags of ice are dodgy in Lidl. No need to spend M&S money though, SV do bags of similar size to Lidl @ 95c without the "half-melted and re-frozen" effect you get in Lidl.

In terms of what I would recommend in Lidl (without having read the thread), I would rate the fresh melon mix pots, lots of stuff from the bakery including the croissants and soda bread, the Deluxe 9-pack of sausages, Deluxe frozen king prawns (raw or cooked), Cimarosa Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and (most particularly) Rachmaninov 40% vodka.

I am not a fan of Lidl steaks and always cross the road to Aldi for my red-meat fix. The Aldi Specially Selected rib-eye steaks are the best steaks you can buy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The white sourdough cob is really very good at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Is there anyway to find the ingredient list for their bakery? I usually go to dunnes/sv to get Fitzgerald's wraps because the Lidls wraps are full of preservatives. Want to know what's in the rolls and loaves. Can only find allergens lists online

Advertisement