Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

For anyone interested passata is back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

annie.t wrote: »
    For anyone interested passata is back

I am!

Thank all the gods.

We've been using the Tesco passata and it might as well be 1/4 vinegar.

Now, if only the 'Italiamo' (blue tinned) chopped tomatoes would return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

The huge single clove garlic seems to have gone - shame:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

fin12 wrote: »
    The toiletries are practically the same price as the bigger bottles, the small bottle of mouthwash is the same price as a big bottle.

Generally the way with mini-toiletries. That being said, they are often more expensive in some stores so even "same price" is a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lidls Deluxe Deli Style coleslaw for 99c is perfection, never buying anywhere else again. I love coleslaw and was finding it starting to taste a bit weird from a lot of places especially Aldi in recent times but this stuff is really excellent, like the deli kind you used to get years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I see Lidl are now doing some of their toiletries in a 'mini' range. Lotions, toothpaste etc. Handy if you're travelling.
    You can collect little bottles & jars and fill them with the big bottle for travelling. Like mini jam & honey jars or shampoos etc from hotels. The jars are good as you can get your finger in and get everything back out.

Back OT lidl version of tunnocks caramel bars are good, lidl on the top left

tunnocks_small-tile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

The pizza's are good value for certain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Space Dog wrote: »
    They contain artificial sweeteners instead of sugar though.

This.
    I only noticed that after I had bought 2.
    I honestly wish they would just make stuff less sweet, rather than adding these sweeteners. I just hate the taste of them :(

Italian week has arrived (again!)

It's one of my favourite of the "weeks" they do. The gelatos are nice and I always stock up on some of the dry ingredients such as polenta, risotto rice etc.

A few new offerings such as scamorza cheese and even a pasta machine for €19.99, should anyone want to give make your own pasta a try without splashing out massively.

Current range of products are here: http://www.lidl.ie/en/7330.htm

BuffyBot wrote: »
    even a pasta machine for €19.99, should anyone want to give make your own pasta a try without splashing out massively.

We got one of those years ago when our egg production was exceeding demand by about a dozen a day.

Guess what, the day it arrived the Gals went on one of their little work to rules and then someone else wanted eggs so :confused:.

Plus I kinda prefer the dried :o

• Advertisement

Italian week has arrived (again!)

There used to be a range of Italiamo pasta sauces that were the bees-knees

We bought loads of the two flavours on the left.... they were (imo) the best sauces from any store

553353_ITALIAMO-Italienische-Tomatensauce_xxl.jpg

Alas they have not been available for nearly a year now.... very sad. :(

The Itlaiamo frozen cheese pizza is probably the best frozen cheese pizza in the world!

Thargor wrote: »
    Lidls Deluxe Deli Style coleslaw for 99c is perfection, never buying anywhere else again. I love coleslaw and was finding it starting to taste a bit weird from a lot of places especially Aldi in recent times but this stuff is really excellent, like the deli kind you used to get years ago.

Isn't it rather bitter tasting?
    Vinegary?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I bought the Italian pasta pot and it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Garlic and Rosemary loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Their chilli tortillas, much nicer than Aldis version and even Doritos imo

212390wk43_01_f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hmmm I like Aldis tortilla chips. Must try those too.

Belgian (Bocq) beers down to €6.49.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Old news but during their USA week I bought the pulled pork for 2.99 or 3.99 (I forget!), the first time I had had this and it was great. Pity is so many of these "occasionals" are just that.

I bought the Gnochi bake yesterday, anyone else had that yet?

Spotted their own brand (Irish made) hot sauce and picked up a bottle. Haven't opened it until I use up what I have open. Anyone tried it?

To answer my own question: pretty good imho. The sweet slightly smoky spiciness of the cayenne comes through and there is a good vinegary kick to it.

I'm really getting pissed off with my local Lidl, badly stocked all of the time, massive queues and quite dirty.

• Advertisement

Old news but during their USA week I bought the pulled pork for 2.99 or 3.99 (I forget!), the first time I had had this and it was great. Pity is so many of these "occasionals" are just that.

I bought the Gnochi bake yesterday, anyone else had that yet?

3.99. That kind of pulled pork is available in Aldi all the time I believe (havent been there myself in a while)

Their expanded Deluxe range has appeared in store for the run up to Christmas. Not up on their website yet, but some pretty nice looking foods!

Their expanded Deluxe range has appeared in store for the run up to Christmas. Not up on their website yet, but some pretty nice looking foods!

Their Stollen was very nice lasy year.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

The mini chocolate panettone's are very tasty.....................had to buy one so early this year because I always leave to the last minute and they run out! will be stocking up on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

The Salmon and Asparagus quiche is amazing. Was waiting all year for it to come back in

Had the seafood chowder too which was nice but I've nothing to compare it to as never had one before!

Great weather to get some soup and partly baked rolls. The soup is pretty much the same as Cully&Sully, but cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The salmon and asparagus pizza is really nice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Not a food item but tried the lidl mascara for 3.00 and it was brilliant.
    Takes two applications.

I've spent over 40.00 - 60.00 on branded mascara and ended up giving them away, they were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The chocolate coconut rings are absolutely delicious, my new favourite cake/biscuit thing for teabreaks.

• Advertisement

Got the black olive tapenade from their Deluxe range today. Tasty enough on some hot toasted baguette :D

Advertisement