Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub Openings / Refurbs / Closing Thread - Mod Note Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In the midst of all of the Dublin chitter chatter we neglected to mention that Dead Centre opened their doors in Athlone last Thursday. Lots of beer and a decent pizza bar as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

In the midst of all of the Dublin chitter chatter we neglected to mention that Dead Centre opened their doors in Athlone last Thursday. Lots of beer and a decent pizza bar as well.

It was mentioned 10 posts ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

EireLemon wrote: »
    Any news on when Taproom 47 is going to open

I pass it everyday going to work, nothing stirring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

I pass it everyday going to work, nothing stirring.

Cheers, please let us know if you notice anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Unconfirmed rumour is that four provinces brewery in KCR industrial estate are the ones looking to use it as a brew pub possibly.Ill take that with a pinch of salt however rascals going into kilmainham gives me hope.Id love to see it tried atleast.

Cycled past today and definitely is Four Provinces- name changed and all!!

According to one of the neighbouring shops, opening this weekend.

Looks like the chipper next door is part of the refurb, which would tally with what I heard.

Looking forward to seeing how this works.

On the corner of Church Street and N Burnswick Street.
    The Richmond I believe is the old name.

Currently undergoing a massive refit so that looks like you’re correct there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Jackson Court Hotel going up for sale. Who'd have the money for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Walked past the Four Provinces earlier. Looking forward to it opening up. Anyone any idea if it's purely a brew pub doing their own stuff or if they'll have other craft beers or food etc? The area badly needs a place like that, I'd say it'll do well. Took a pic as well, attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,926 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nobody has yet opened a craft pub (on a pub licence) in Dublin with no guest taps. Bru House has very few admittedly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

L1011 wrote: »
    Nobody has yet opened a craft pub (on a pub licence) in Dublin with no guest taps. Bru House has very few admittedly

Why would they?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Why would they?

Probably helps if they are trying to sell kegs elsewhere i.e. "we'll stock your beers in our pub if you sell ours in your pub".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nobody has yet opened a craft pub (on a pub licence) in Dublin with no guest taps.
    The Porterhouse did. There weren't many guest beer options in 1996.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Porterhouse did. There weren't many guest beer options in 1996.

1996 was a little before my drinking days, but even early on I was sure they always had something Central European (macro or not) on tap?
    Why would they?

Either abject lack of something else to sell as suggested there, or being run by a sociopath like Samuel Smiths are, or other reasons. But anyway, the reason I made the potentially inaccurate claim was because someone asked if Four Provinces would.

1996 was a little before my drinking days, but even early on I was sure they always had something Central European (macro or not) on tap?
    Not that I recall, but I'll see if I can find out. They reluctantly made their own weissbier for a few years before giving up and putting Erdinger on instead in the early 2000s.

The Four Provinces pub on Ravensdale Park is opening at 4pm today. Soft launch, so keep it to yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

Wish them all the best.Really bring the area up but I do fear what the lads in the avenue will do to upset the place.(I’m from the avenue before anyone starts that it’s a fine area).the chipper has had a refit and the paints is the same as the pub so maybe they’ll use that look forward to going into it when I visit my ma’s soon.

Just dropped in for a half there to check it out. Place looks great and the selection is great. They have their own three on tap, helvick gold, loads of other good taps and a fridge full of good cans, e.g. Whiplash. I'll definitely be dropping in again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Not that I recall, but I'll see if I can find out..

I'm thinking you couldn't be wrong twice in two pages!

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I'm thinking you couldn't be wrong twice in two pages!

And I'm wrong lots, with BeerNut frequently being the person pointing it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ravensdale is really Captain's Road - a few local snobs, penny looking down on hapenny, in the 70s thought they'd rename it. Ironically there was a lot more heroin in the 80s in Ravensdale than there was on Captains

I grew up on Captain's in the 70s and 80s, never in my life thought there'd be a craft beer bar just off it, gentrification or wha'? :pac:

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

The Four Provinces pub on Ravensdale Park is opening at 4pm today. Soft launch, so keep it to yourselves.

Cheers for the heads up, glad to have dropped down for a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

Ravensdale is really Captain's Road - a few local snobs, penny looking down on hapenny, in the 70s thought they'd rename it. Ironically there was a lot more heroin in the 80s in Ravensdale than there was on Captains

I grew up on Captain's in the 70s and 80s, never in my life thought there'd be a craft beer bar just off it, gentrification or wha'? :pac:
    When the both avenues captains and cashel still turn to scenes from mad max on occasion I never thought I’d see the day.But somebody needs to be the first.

Popped in. Not fully finished yet but obviously enough is open to operate. Has their range, a Dungarvan, a White Gypsy on tap and maybe one or two others + Guinness and Heineken as most Dublin craft pubs outside the canals do. Historic features with the old name are retained

Interior is like T O Brennans but original not repro

Apparently a small number more craft taps will be added shortly, and the rear lounge will be open tomorrow.

Pub is going to live or die on the local trade but any boost it gives to the brewery, and any outsider trade it gets from the brewery name will clearly help both. Other suburban breweries will be looking at this I imagine, particularly monitoring the local trade if deciding between the (cheap, limited) Kelly licences or a (very very expensive) pub licence; or the restaurant licence option that Rascals have taken

It's not within the canals and not on an artery into town so it's hard to see it attracting any non-local trade.

I can't see local trade sustaining it.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

There's a good few young people moved into the area lately who've been waiting for something like this so if they managed to capture that market I'd imagine they'd do alright, especially if they could lure in a crowd in from the other side of Kimmage Road and Terenure. Kimmage Road is an artery into town it just doesn't have much on it at the moment. They'll have my business anyway, especially if they have a decent dog policy :pac:

griffdaddy wrote: »
    There's a good few young people moved into the area lately who've been waiting for something like this
    That's the model they're going for. It was busy this afternoon. All local trade, though I don't know how much independent beer was moving. The table across from me wanted Budweiser but settled on bottled Coors Light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Think I'll drop in tomorrow. anybody know what the opening times are ?

Also , What's on tap at the moment ?

I think they're opening around 4pm at the moment. On tap there's The Piper, The Hurler, Valsa, White Gypsy Blond, MacNutty, Helvick Gold, 9 White Deer Stout, Guinness and Heineken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not that I recall, but I'll see if I can find out. They reluctantly made their own weissbier for a few years before giving up and putting Erdinger on instead in the early 2000s.

I’m with you on this one; I don’t recall Porterhouse selling anything other that it’s own draughty when it opened. It was part of its selling point.

• Advertisement

The former Lillie's Bordello re-opens next month as a music venue called Lost Lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Metalman Bar in Waterford is closing. Announced on social media.

I'd say Yellowbelly opening a bar closer to the action didn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

n97 mini wrote: »
    Metalman Bar in Waterford is closing. Announced on social media.

I'd say Yellowbelly opening a bar closer to the action didn't help.

Wow. That didn’t last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Wow. That didn’t last long.

No, unfortunately. I almost got there on several occasions, but never actually made it.

Ah balls. I'm due to be in the city next week and was looking forward to it

Don't like Yellowbelly stuff at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Shame about metalman. Enjoyed a long night there sampling many pints of their t produce a while back.

Ah balls. I'm due to be in the city next week and was looking forward to it

Don't like Yellowbelly stuff at all

Just go to Philly Grimes.

Is Revolution any good?

Is Revolution any good?

Good food (if it's where I'm thinking).

• Advertisement

Sackville Lounges neon light was on this afternoon. Was put back up for sale - may have been viewings or it may have been sold. Not actually open at least not when I passed

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Walked passed the old Capel Bar on Little Britain Street yesterday; well on the way of being refurbished. Had a new sign outside: '1661 Bar'.

Walked passed the old Capel Bar on Little Britain Street yesterday; well on the way of being refurbished. Had a new sign outside: '1661 Bar'.

Name used before for a poitin bar popup so I'd guess connected to that again?

And very unlikely to use the early house option!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Name used before for a poitin bar popup so I'd guess connected to that again?

And very unlikely to use the early house option!

Hmmm, skullin' poitín at 7 in the morning...

To Let sign up on the Corner House in Windy Arbour - as a pub. Someone had looked to convert it to housing

Hmmm, skullin' poitín at 7 in the morning...

https://www.fft.ie/poitin-focused-bar-set-to-open-in-dublin/26085

They'll want to make sure the old regulars don't return...

Noticed that O'Connells in Donnybrook has reopened as "Donnybrook Gastropub" and McCloskeys still looks open too so the pub situation out there isn't as dire as it seemed in the autumn last year when O'Connnels and Kielys closed and media reports claimed McCloskeys did too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

They'll want to make sure the old regulars don't return...

Brew Dock will have had similar concerns back when they opened up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Caribou opening a new bar in Smithfield.

https://twitter.com/CaribouGalway/status/1120375111972990977

matrim wrote: »
    Caribou opening a new bar in Smithfield.

https://twitter.com/CaribouGalway/status/1120375111972990977

Soft opening last Friday afternoon. Looks lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Soft opening last Friday afternoon. Looks lovely.

Was in last Friday myself. Lovely job on the place. Looking forward to popping in again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Was in last Friday myself. Lovely job on the place. Looking forward to popping in again soon.

What was the tap selection like?

• Advertisement
Advertisement