Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub Openings / Refurbs / Closing Thread - Mod Note Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Passenger wrote: »
    What was the tap selection like?

Pretty decent from a quick scan.

Though once I saw white hag on tap I didn't look further. :)

I know the manager from his Cassidys days so the selection will be good as you could expect. Especially given what caribou and impala do already.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

According to Twitter they have 34 taps, so I'd hope for plenty of variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Zaph wrote: »
    According to Twitter they have 34 taps, so I'd hope for plenty of variety.

About 10 of those will be a mixture of Heineken, Guinness, and Molson Coors products, but should still be a very nice selection over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dead Centre Brewing open their new BrewPub next Thursday in Athlone. Pictures I've seen so far look fantastic and the location is phenomenal, massive waterfront location with an outdoor area long the water and great views of the castle and river.

Will try make it in for a gander next weekend.

Anyone been yet? I hope they make a success out of it, that location has such potential, one of only two pubs in the town that can capitalise on a waterfront location (if you count the Radisson bar). Was a great spot on a sunny day back when it was called River S.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone been yet?
    Yep. Echoing what's been said: amazing location, excellent beer, great pizza. It deserves to do well.

Anyone been yet? I hope they make a success out of it, that location has such potential, one of only two pubs in the town that can capitalise on a waterfront location (if you count the Radisson bar). Was a great spot on a sunny day back when it was called River S.

What TheBeerNut said. Lovely spot, nice selection of beers and the pizza is great.

Hoping to prop up a picnic bench on the deck for a few hours this weekend, weather permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They appear to have thrown out the most historical artifact from the old pub - a working light up Hudson Blue ice cider sign. Terrible form :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I used to work in one of the last public houses owned by Guinness, in the late 90s. For a few years we never had cider on tap, and only longnecks of Bulmers and Stag (and Ritz, but that's a perry).

Then they developed Hudson Blue, and eventually it was replaced with a Bulmers tap. A pub near us sold, I think, a cider called Caffreys(?).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I used to work in one of the last public houses owned by Guinness, in the late 90s. For a few years we never had cider on tap, and only longnecks of Bulmers and Stag (and Ritz, but that's a perry).

Then they developed Hudson Blue, and eventually it was replaced with a Bulmers tap. A pub near us sold, I think, a cider called Caffreys(?).

I actually liked that cider. Caffreys was more like Kilkenny. Oh god, what was it called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

beertons wrote: »
    I actually liked that cider. Caffreys was more like Kilkenny. Oh god, what was it called.

Hunter’s cider was sold in Cummiskey’s in the seventies, it was a red cider that held a head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

A pub near us sold, I think, a cider called Caffreys(?).
    beertons wrote: »
    Oh god, what was it called.

Cashel's?

S_Cashelds_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I don't think it was Cashel's, the pub in question is The Blacker/Liz Delaney's in Coolock beside Northside SC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Stag cider?

Stag007f.jpg?height=198&width=200

Think there was one called Cooper's too.

Cashels, that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Kilkenny was sold as a settling ale here (similar to Caffreys) while abroad Kilkenny was basically Smithwicks. Similarly I never remember seeing Cashels Cider for sale in Ireland but it was a popular 'Irish Cider' in Europe.

I can vaguely remember when the "Irish" product that wasn't Guinness abroad was either Kilkenny or Killians (made anywhere and everywhere except Ireland) - and now its usually O'Haras which is rather an improvement!

1661s quite nice. Opens fairly late, I didn't check and had to go to McNeill's for a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Haven't listened yet but saw a good review of this Near FM podcast on the story of legendary Dublin blues bar JJ Smyths.
    http://nearfm.ie/podcast/?p=31507

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Kilkenny was sold as a settling ale here (similar to Caffreys) while abroad Kilkenny was basically Smithwicks. Similarly I never remember seeing Cashels Cider for sale in Ireland but it was a popular 'Irish Cider' in Europe.

I remember being on a course in the storehouse around 2002, perfect pint or something like that, and for all the pints that were poured, the lads got to drink them. A young beery says to the honcho, I don't drink porter. So I had to go up 2 floors to the gravity bar, and pick something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Looks like there is work being done on what use to be the East Side Tavern.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I believe it was bought by the Madigan Group. EST was great for after work drinks when I worked in the area, wonder what this crowd will do with it!

That corner of SSG is dead with it and Houricans closed unless something huge is on in the Sugar Club - used to be quite busy. Hopefully this brings it back up a bit

Twee. wrote: »
    I believe it was bought by the Madigan Group. EST was great for after work drinks when I worked in the area, wonder what this crowd will do with it!

Yup.

Sign went up today.

Madigans expansions and contractions over the years are interesting; they had about 15 pubs at one point; bought up bits of other chains as they failed (Mooneys, Beltons) but now only list 6 (not including this) on their website. Would love to know if there was a deliberate reduction (e.g. cash out when times are good) or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

Twee. wrote: »

I worked for these lads and the money they make from the pubs pales to what they take from the rds/fairy house and other avenues.They have probably one of the most diverse portfolios I’ve seen in pubs.Broke my heart working in o Connell street and the roof leaking and it caught fire not long ago and barely repaired.They buy these places and take leases over low and move them on quietly.Even during the recession they went in bed with the banks and cherry picked places that were struggling or open under due care.
    What the father done in Dublin was visionary and what the sons and daughter are doing now is an expansion on that.The deals they’ve done and pulled off are unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

A tiny brewery thought to be BrewDog's is on ice amid concerns over 'emissions and odours' https://jrnl.ie/4639341

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A tiny brewery thought to be BrewDog's is on ice amid concerns over 'emissions and odours' https://jrnl.ie/4639341

Jaysis. How precious. They should take a walk around the Liberties when Guinness are in full brewing mode.

Fair enough if it was a sewage plant.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Jaysis. How precious. They should take a walk around the Liberties when Guinness are in full brewing mode.

Fair enough if it was a sewage plant.

The malty goodness of Guinness in the air is one of the best parts of this city!

They didn't do an EIA in their initial application. It's a minor thing, but idiocy on their part not to have done it already. It's standard for any business of the type, especially in a residntial area.

Swiss Cottage's Facebook seems to imply it closed at the weekend for good (its being demolished). There's a "restaurant (licenced)" in the replacement plans so I could see this being a Union Cafe style setup that retains the pub licence though.

• Advertisement

After just over three years, the current owner of The Hill in Ranelagh has closed up shop.

Nearly dropped in on Friday as I was passing, quite liked the place.

Since The Hill closed I keep getting Facebook sponsored ads for 4 pints of lager for €16 in the other pub in Mountpleasant. I don't think I mentioned The Hill there or even used Facebook when in it, so that's rather freaky.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

L1011 wrote: »
    Since The Hill closed I keep getting Facebook sponsored ads for 4 pints of lager for €16 in the other pub in Mountpleasant. I don't think I mentioned The Hill there or even used Facebook when in it, so that's rather freaky.

Have you location services turned on? If so, it's probably linked you to the location.

I live in Kildare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Do you visit any blogs that have “like” buttons on their articles? They track you across the web.

I know how tracking works - my point is that their geofencing is awful if they think I'm worth targetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I know how tracking works - my point is that their geofencing is awful if they think I'm worth targetting.

I'm not on Facebook, but now I know about the deal. Maybe they are smarter than you think :)

The former Dandelion Market bar beside St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre is due to reopen as The Well. Don't know anything else about it though.

Don't expect it to even vaguely resemble the old incarnation - it was in absolute ribbons when I was doing an event in it a while ago; some water in the basement levels, ground floor stripped out, only really the toilets left on the mezzanine. Suspect every popup held in it probably did it in further as fittings/fixtures got in the way.

Registered address and directors of the company that own the website are that of an events agency, but the area of business is "beverage serving" so its unlikely that this is a case of the design company registering the website themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I wonder if they will primarily use it as an event space, if that's who really owns it? I went in on Saturday to check it out and left before getting a drink. It felt like a mix between a hotel lobby and a fancy Starbucks. Completely devoid of character. Maybe it's sparse to allow quick turnaround for events :confused: :pac:

Is it open already? They do state event space on Twitter as the last of the descriptors

I await the licence number appearing on the register with baited breath as if it's the same as Dandelion I'll count it having done it already :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Is it open already?

People were drinking outside on benches yesterday evening.
    I think I spied some Franciscan Well glasses and decided to keep moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Press Up?

Seems completely unconnected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Another brewpub opening in a few weeks. This one from the big boys

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cc-to-open-brew-pub-in-former-hotel-38287768.html

RasTa wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cc-to-open-brew-pub-in-former-hotel-38287768.html
    Yeah, was talking to the brewer last week. They've moved all the kit out of Donore Avenue to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Looks like the upstairs if FXB Monksown is being turned into a bar. Saw a sign outside this evening saying 'Frank's Bar coming soon'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RasTa wrote: »

Hope they keep the snooker tables ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Seabank in East Wall has the scaffolding down and fitters in although loads of the apartment windows are still boarded up. Fire a year or so ago

Advertisement