Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub Openings / Refurbs / Closing Thread - Mod Note Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The other one mentioned in that article has a pub licence too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

That's right, a restaurant and cocktail bar in Dundrum centre opening too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

A new Galway bay pub opening on Capel street called Paddle and Peel - pizza plus craft beer.
    Is it opening in the former Beerhouse spot?

Surprised with the location, if it is the Beerhouse, given its right next to the Black Sheep and BoCo across the road for pizza + craft beer. Woodfired Cafe also nearby on Blessington street which also serve top pizza.
    Looking forward to it none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

slayerking wrote: »
    A new Galway bay pub opening on Capel street called Paddle and Peel - pizza plus craft beer.

Surprised with the location, if it is the Beerhouse, given its right next to the Black Sheep and BoCo across the road for pizza + craft beer. Woodfired Cafe also nearby on Blessington street which also serve top pizza.

Their Twitter says located at "top of Capel St." and rumours have been circulating for a while that GBB are the new tenants in the previous Beerhouse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Must have being going cheap

RasTa wrote: »
    Must have being going cheap
    That's the Galway Bay way :) Same landlord as the Black Sheep, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The unit is owned by the same people who own The Black Sheep and a few other bars that GBB already lease.
    Another craft bar group had agreed to take the lease from the landlord and when GBB found out they used their leverage to get the owners to give it to then instead at the last hour.
    GBB are using it as a cookie cutter template to trial for a potential rollout across the UK and Europe.

They basically took it to block potential competition and develop their quasi-franchise plan. It wasn't going cheap.

Another craft bar group had agreed to take the lease from the landlord
    I always thought that site would make a good BrewDog :P (I have no idea which group SM is referring to.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

The unit is owned by the same people who own The Black Sheep and a few other bars that GBB already lease.
    Another craft bar group had agreed to take the lease from the landlord and when GBB found out they used their leverage to get the owners to give it to then instead at the last hour.
    GBB are using it as a cookie cutter template to trial for a potential rollout across the UK and Europe.

They basically took it to block potential competition and develop their quasi-franchise plan. It wasn't going cheap.

Black Sheep was our go to for beer and a bite for many years. Steady decline in the food, menu has shrunk to pretty much burgers only, and the chicken burger I got on Saturday was absolute garbage...plus the staff turnover is unreal

• Advertisement

plus the staff turnover is unreal

Common issue with GBB.

BeerNut wrote: »
    UK chain Pivovar announcing, via The Euston Tap Twitter account, that they've bought a pub on the edge of Temple Bar:
    https://twitter.com/eustontap/status/998582401684197376
    Planning application 3607/18 is for a café/bar in two stacked shipping containers on the derelict corner of Exchange Street and Essex Street West, beside The Czech Inn and Turks Head. I reckon this is our Dublin Tap proposed location. I just noticed their original tweet didn't say they bought a pub but that they acquired a site.

Licence will cost more than the buildout (site cost exclusive) for that!

Another great reason to live in Manchester

DkLGvNaXoAAtsSI.jpg

The planning permission for their development at the Belgard Inn site has always had a pub on it; plus they'll have the licence from the old Belgard Inn - although I assumed they'd just use it as the surrended licence for off-sales there. Build and lease out I'd guess.

L1011 wrote: »
    The planning permission for their development at the Belgard Inn site has always had a pub on it; plus they'll have the licence from the old Belgard Inn - although I assumed they'd just use it as the surrended licence for off-sales there. Build and lease out I'd guess.

They've a spare off sales license knocking around since the snow a few months back...

They've a spare off sales license knocking around since the snow a few months back...

Reopening in the next few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

YellowBelly opening a pub in waterford

Painters in at the Bridge House in Chapelizod. Sold recently enough.

There's only about 15 closed, licenced and not scheduled for redevelopment pubs left in all of Dublin (city and county) now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Painters in at the Bridge House in Chapelizod. Sold recently enough.

There's only about 15 closed, licenced and not scheduled for redevelopment pubs left in all of Dublin (city and county) now.

Wasn't it just the lease sold? Katheryn Thomas is taking it over.

I don't know exactly what happened but it was on the market and closed for quite some time. Need to do a day trip for it, the Mullingar House and the Villager some day when it's reopened

I don't know exactly what happened but it was on the market and closed for quite some time. Need to do a day trip for it, the Mullingar House and the Villager some day when it's reopened

I know the guy who owns it. She was meant to go into it ages ago, but had to put it on hold for personal reasons that I amn't going to put up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

beertons wrote: »
    I know the guy who owns it. She was meant to go into it ages ago, but had to put it on hold for personal reasons that I amn't going to put up here.

Her vajazzle wasn't done in time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Anybody heard anything about the Empire Pub/ Babylon Night club in Swords have had their doors closed for the last couple of weeks, though the web page and twitter account still seem live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Alluding to someone's personal problems on an open forum is almost as bad as stating them. That's how rumours start.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Alluding to someone's personal problems on an open forum is almost as bad as stating them. That's how rumours start.

I didn't say anything. Fell pregnant before she was supposed to go in. Things got put on the back foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Anybody heard anything about the Empire Pub/ Babylon Night club in Swords have had their doors closed for the last couple of weeks, though the web page and twitter account still seem live

Liquidation according to staff

Paddle and Peel, the new Galway Bay place on the ex-Beerhouse site in Dublin, opens on Tuesday 4th September.

• Advertisement

The steering wheel in Clondalkin is reopening as a Gin/cocktail bar this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The steering wheel in Clondalkin is reopening as a Gin/cocktail bar this weekend.

Jaysis, that's some difference. Can't see it lasting tbh.

Opens at 4pm today

DmO9XidWsAAU-Xk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheMadBrewer

Interesting that they're using the address 199 King St N (Dublin 7) I wonder if this is so they don't have two pubs on Capel St? :)

Interesting that they're using the address 199 King St N (Dublin 7) I wonder if this is so they don't have two pubs on Capel St? :)

It's because that's the postal address for the property.

Beerhouse address was 84 Capel Street.

• Advertisement

The registered address of the building is Kings Street N.

Liquor licence is issued to 199 North King Street also.

Having a pizza restaurant is a bit of a return to the start for GBB as pizza was their first business plan and the holding company is still Pizza Eile Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any update on JD Wetherspoon Abbey street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

The Dark Horse in Blackrock has been closed for the last few days. Dunno if it's a refurb or what's going on. There's new tables outside so hopefully a refurb. It's been on a downward spiral since Galway Bay gave up the lease. Wonder if it's changed hands again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

basskebab wrote: »
    The Dark Horse in Blackrock has been closed for the last few days. Dunno if it's a refurb or what's going on. There's new tables outside so hopefully a refurb. It's been on a downward spiral since Galway Bay gave up the lease. Wonder if it's changed hands again?
    I used to give out about the Dark Horse when it was a GBB bar.

I miss it now thats its gone.

• Advertisement

Me too. Started to go downhill for the last year GBB had it but compared to the tumbleweed bar it turned into..jaysus. You only realise what you have when it's gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

The Dark Horse facebook page says it's being refurbed...Preferred the GBB verison too...

Dellboy54 wrote: »
    The Dark Horse facebook page says it's being refurbed...Preferred the GBB verison too...

Doesn't sound like there'll be any decent changes if it's the same crowd running it. The lounge part is like a ghost town most evenings and that's before I even start on the price and range of the beer they now have.

Come back GBB all is forgiven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Galway Bays Paddle & Peel just opened where Beerhouse used to be on Capel Steet, only 2 minutes from Black Sheep, weird basicaly be in competition with themselves.

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/paddleandpeel/

Galway Bays Paddle & Peel just opened where Beerhouse used to be on Capel Steet, only 2 minutes from Black Sheep, weird basicaly be in competition with themselves.

See a few pages back

See a few pages back

Better than Beerhouse, that place had poor beer choice and a bad atmosphere.

What's the pizza like

RasTa wrote: »
    What's the pizza like

Haven't tried it, just had a Foam and Fury there yesterday. Its grand but prefer Da Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Better than Beerhouse, that place had poor beer choice and a bad atmosphere.

I always thought they had a good selection. Twas always quiet but I tended to be in there with a group of people, so it always suited us.

I was in Paddle and Peel two weeks ago. It was grand but you wouldn't go out of your way to head in to it. If the Black Sheep is rammed, then probably. The decor in there was definitely screaming gastro pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Happened to see this yesterday:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/key-money-sought-for-donnybrook-pub-leasehold-1.3631927
    Estate agent John McNally of McNally Handy is seeking key money of €350,000 for the leasehold interest in a leading bar and restaurant in the centre of Donnybrook village in Dublin 4.

O’Connell’s bar and restaurant, which fronts on to Belmont Avenue and Morehampton Road, formerly traded as Madigan’s bar until it was leased to O’Connell’s in 2010. The business has a full seven-day bar licence, a restaurant certificate along with a music and singing licence. The ground floor has seating capacity for 120 and a private diningroom on the first floor can accommodate a further 80 people.

I looked up 'music and singing licence' and it appears to be to allow theatres to sell alcohol, presumably without a pub licence. So why would a pub have one?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement